Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 or Gitzo GT1541T?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhipLash

May 15, 2006
Good day everyone!

I have been trying for quite some time to choose a tripod that fits my needs. As you guys are aware, the more reviews you read, the more confused things get. :confused: But I have eventually decided on 2 tripods:

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3
Weight: 1.29kg
Height (column down): 122cm
Height (column up): 146cm
Closed length: 58cm
Price: $440
Others: Can convert column to horizontal for macro/low-level work.

Gitzo GT-1541T
Weight: 1.00kg
Height (column down): 113cm
Height (column up): 134cm
Closed length: 41cm
Price: $760+ (I think)
Others: Can reverse-mount head during storage to reduce closed length.

Some other details abt me. I'm 1.78m high, so both tripods are a little low for me, but I figure I will be shooting at my subject's eye level most of the time and I won't be spending hrs behind the tripod so that is less of an issue. I shoot a hodgepodge of everything... but mainly informal portraits and landscapes.

Weight and size is a big issue. I plan to take this tripod out with me (I carry my camera with me wherever I go) and on hiking trips/holidays. In this case, the Gitzo wins by a fair margin of almost 300g. May not sound like much now, but it will when you hit the 10km mark. Of course, there is a huge price premium of $300+ over the Manfrotto.

On the other hand, the Manfrotto might be more stable, and has this cool horizontal column thingy, though I'm not sure how often I'll use it. It has flip-locks which is what I'm used to, but I haven't tried the G-locks of the Gitzo and cannot compare.

So, my main questions are:

1. Is the price gap of $300+ justified in terms of weight, build quality and function? I am planning to get a flash with that money, and if I buy the Gitzo I'd have to postpone that purchase by many many months. :cry:

2. How do the G-locks compare to flip-locks in terms of speed and ergonomics?

3. Bottom line: Which would you get?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Gitzo!

but one man's meat is another man's poison..

why don't you head down to one of the shops with your full setup and try them out?
have a feel... you will know what you want naturally. :D

i have a manfrotto 055
and had a manfrotto 190

sold away the 190 and bought a gitzo 1541T

if you have the money, get the gitzo

Gitzo!

but one man's meat is another man's poison..

why don't you head down to one of the shops with your full setup and try them out?
have a feel... you will know what you want naturally. :D

I would have, but I usually try to avoid doing it because there is some pressure (even a little) to buy. John 316 is out of stock for 190CXPRO3 anyways. CP-P has both (I think) but their prices a little steep.

i have a manfrotto 055
and had a manfrotto 190

sold away the 190 and bought a gitzo 1541T

if you have the money, get the gitzo

Which 190 did you use to have? I think the 190XPROB is way too heavy and would have sold it had I had one. So why did you sell it?

I have a budget of around $1000. Money kinda tight nowadays. This money is for a flash and tripod, but if i get the Gitzo, I would forgo getting a flash.

Velbon 645 is what I use for my compact tripod. It's so good for most applications I ended up selling away my 055.

Which 190 did you use to have? I think the 190XPROB is way too heavy and would have sold it had I had one. So why did you sell it?

I have a budget of around $1000. Money kinda tight nowadays. This money is for a flash and tripod, but if i get the Gitzo, I would forgo getting a flash.

my main reason is that it is too big and heavy to bring around when travelling
buy the gitzo for travelling and never have to buy another tripod anymore

my main reason is that it is too big and heavy to bring around when travelling
buy the gitzo for travelling and never have to buy another tripod anymore

Given unlimited funds, I would agree. But I'm faced with a $300+ increase for a 300g decrease in weight? Worth it? (ie. worth not having a flash?) Currently leaning slightly towards the manfrotto, but am curious if any other considerations like ergonomics / stability / design will tip the scales towards Gitzo?

hie there.. i juz bought manfrotto 190cxpro4 from TK. much smaller than the cxpro3 and a bit lighter but do note the height specs, holding weight is the same.
i think can hold up to 5kg and max height of 1.46m but whn i extend the center column it is much more higher.
specs are here for cxpro4 and here for cxpro3
btw im 1.75m and i only have to bend my only my head slightly but with the ballhead, i think i dont have to bend my head as much.
cost arnd $485.
for yr info TK is bit cheaper then CP.
call them 1st and compare yrself.

anyway.. best is to go to the shop and see it for yrself. test both the tripods.
gd luck.
cheers!

Last edited:
Stocks are limited and get the GT1541T while you can at the listed price stated.
No need to PM me for this tripod, thanks!

Given unlimited funds, I would agree. But I'm faced with a $300+ increase for a 300g decrease in weight? Worth it? (ie. worth not having a flash?) Currently leaning slightly towards the manfrotto, but am curious if any other considerations like ergonomics / stability / design will tip the scales towards Gitzo?

how much is a tripod worth if it is sitting in the storeroom? :dunno:

how much is a tripod worth if it is sitting in the storeroom? :dunno:

well, that's what I'm trying to find out! Will that 300g make me leave it in the storeroom? I can't exactly go to the store and ask to borrow the tripod for a hike. :bsmilie:

hie there.. i juz bought manfrotto 190cxpro4 from TK. much smaller than the cxpro3 and a bit lighter but do note the height specs, holding weight is the same.
i think can hold up to 5kg and max height of 1.46m but whn i extend the center column it is much more higher.
specs are here for cxpro4 and here for cxpro3
btw im 1.75m and i only have to bend my only my head slightly but with the ballhead, i think i dont have to bend my head as much.
cost arnd $485.
for yr info TK is bit cheaper then CP.
call them 1st and compare yrself.

anyway.. best is to go to the shop and see it for yrself. test both the tripods.
gd luck.
cheers!

Actually the CXPRO4 is HEAVIER than the CXPRO3. I'm sacrificing closed length but gaining lightness, stability, and $$ by choosing the PRO3 over the PRO4.

That's right. Weight isn't an issue to me. Closed length is. Swinging that 055 around was bloody unwieldly.

Personally I don't feel the 1541T is stable enough to act as a main tripod. It's also quite short. I'm 1.70m and even using the tripod for short periods is no fun.

That's right. Weight isn't an issue to me. Closed length is. Swinging that 055 around was bloody unwieldly.

Personally I don't feel the 1541T is stable enough to act as a main tripod. It's also quite short. I'm 1.70m and even using the tripod for short periods is no fun.

Hmm, thanks for your comments. I think I will go with the Manfrotto then.

Was a Manfotto user but switched to Gitzo. Much better. There is usually a suitable Gitzo for your height/needs.

Actually the CXPRO4 is HEAVIER than the CXPRO3. I'm sacrificing closed length but gaining lightness, stability, and $$ by choosing the PRO3 over the PRO4.

sori... my mistake.
the pro4 is 1.34kg while the pro3 is 1.29kg.
That is a different of only 0.05kg or 50grams.

to me, it is more about the folded size than the weight

me too feels the same way bout the tripod folded size rather than weight.
the pro4 is 50cm and the pro3 is 58cm.
difference of 8cm.

i dont knw how the weight and the height specs will affect u as it is merely a slight difference.
mentioned before that the best is to go personally to try the tripods yrself.
once satisfied.. next time thn buy.
that was what i did.
initially wanted to buy the 190xprob but got the 190cxpro4 instead.
gd luck again..
cheers!

The Velbon 645 which I eventually decided on is not a short tripod, but it has a folded length of around 45cm. It's not the lightest, but as I said, weight's not the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.