manfrotto 055 xprob B and 410 geared head good for macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maxtheevil

hi guys,

please comment if the above set up is good for macro work?

if u got a better combi please list.

thanks.

welcome users to share your experience!

The set up depend on the type of lens & weight. for small set up <105mm. The shooting condition also determine the different. (outdoor or indoor)
I think not a problem.:)

hi there....

i am going to use a 105mm lens,

may i ask if 405 or 410 manfrotto geared head, which would serve my needs better?

which one would totally not slipped / creep?

weight is not an issue to me, i shoot indoors.

by the way, i am considering the 058B, read that it is one of the most stable tripod, but it's heavy and unweldy...

but again, as i am an indoor camera operator :) , it is not a big problem.

should i go for the 058b then?

and which would u recommend for the 105mm lens? 410 or 405 geared head?

i read that 410 geared head, manfrotto still creeps, is it true :(

Cant comment of others set up.

here my setup for macro.

7D + Tamron 180mm F3.5Macro
Wimberly F2 Flash bracket
1x Canon 580EXII (2nd Flash will come in later)

on Gitzo Explorer 2540EX + Markins M10

Stable and flexible.

Hi TS, i m using 105mm as well with R1 (dual flash system) attached to the front element.

Using Gitzo GT2531EX and Markins Q3~!

Rock steady and no creeping one bit.. Lovin it. :lovegrin:

Ballhead play a more impt role imo, i suugest u spurge on on a gd head if u are serious into macro, look at Markins, Kanripoche or even Arca Swiss type.. Believe, once u buy GOOD one, it will last u forever. :)

hi there, thanks for your contribution,

i read around the reviews for ballheads on the internet.

it seems that i get the idea that

1. geared head > 2. 3 way tripod heads > 3. ballheads.

(not implying that your ballhead is not good, it's a markins! i desire that!!!)

http://www.ekolphoto.com/?p=12

this is what he wrote

"I started with a Manfrotto 488RC0, but found that the camera would easily slip around on the quick release plate, especially when using the camera vertically. Then I switched to a Markins M20 QBall, which had a much more solid Arca-Swiss dovetail type quick release system, but over time, I found that the panning knob wouldn&#8217;t completely tighten, and that the ball wouldn&#8217;t completely lock down. So when I was trying to shoot multiple exposures of the same subject matter to create high dynamic range shots, the images would not overlay like they should if you&#8217;re shooting properly. So, finally, I&#8217;m using a Really Right Stuff BH-55, and I sprung for the RRS BD2-L bracket"

so, as i am going to do macro photography at home, i just want to buy one that does not creep.

(arca cube is out)

I got the info from the internet that

405 geared head is more stable than 410 geared head.

i guess i would be going for either the manfrotto 400 or 405 geared head.

thanks for your feedback.

as it is, due to my needs, i am eyeing on a geared head, otherwise, i would jump on a ballhead due to more flexibility.

but, i don't use tripods for outdoors, as i prefer to be carrying minimal and rather miss out on things i can shoot, because i carried less :)

(but again, i am a streets photography (- hobby) shooter, so my genre don't require me to use a tripod as i shot people close up.

thanks again!

gitzo and markins FTW !

May I ask what are you shooting? The setup may be too slow to make changes. 105mm is still comforatble to use handheld.

Technically, gear heads will not creep since the movements are locked down with gears. However, if you were to overload them it will be harder for your to make adjustments.

The 405 is a much bigger (and heavier) gear head and of course will bear greater load than the 410. This photo will give you an idea how big and clunky the 405 is, with a D3 mounted for scale. Do you want to carry such load? Also, the 405 will make an mid sized tripod look like chopsticks and render the entire setup top heavy. So if you are using one of those tripod, you have to consider if an upgrade is necessary.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david5stones/4102485856/

The 410 will hold a mid sized camera(50D, D300, etc) with a 24-70f/2.8 lens and thats about it. The 405 has no problem handling a pro body (D3, 1D, etc) with a 70-200 f/2.8 lens. Something for you to ponder over.

hi guys, thanks for the responses,

i am using a mickey mouse kit

an oldish S2 pro with a 105mm f2.8.

i am going to do product shoots, not bigger than A4 sizes.

i am narrowing down to the manfrotto 405 or 400 geared head because i just want to spend money on a good geared head once.

i read reports that manfrotto 410 creeps.

i intend to buy a geared head meant for bigger cameras, such as medium formats, so that it can handle my mickey mouse camera set up with ease.

May I ask what are you shooting? The setup may be too slow to make changes. 105mm is still comforatble to use handheld.

Technically, gear heads will not creep since the movements are locked down with gears. However, if you were to overload them it will be harder for your to make adjustments.

The 405 is a much bigger (and heavier) gear head and of course will bear greater load than the 410. This photo will give you an idea how big and clunky the 405 is, with a D3 mounted for scale. Do you want to carry such load? Also, the 405 will make an mid sized tripod look like chopsticks and render the entire setup top heavy. So if you are using one of those tripod, you have to consider if an upgrade is necessary.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david5stones/4102485856/

The 410 will hold a mid sized camera(50D, D300, etc) with a 24-70f/2.8 lens and thats about it. The 405 has no problem handling a pro body (D3, 1D, etc) with a 70-200 f/2.8 lens. Something for you to ponder over.

ball heads are out, as i need to spend an amount for markins or RRS, which i rather go for the lower end manfrotto geared heads, as i would need precision rather than flexibility.

my shoots are mainly indoors too.

If it's precision you need, it might be better to avoid the mid or lower end of any product design or line, especially anything other than a good old, plain 3-way head - which might be something you might want to consider. I'm using a super-solid Gitzo 3-way head with a 7kg+ camera set up and the movement and lockability/precision is nothing short of SWEET!

If you still want to go geared, get the biggest, baddest Manny geared head in the upper max weight bracket you think you might ever use. It's always better to go overboard than under for geared heads going by your criteria.

on Gitzo Explorer 2540EX + Markins M10

Stable and flexible.

Using Gitzo GT2531EX and Markins Q3~!

Rock steady and no creeping one bit.. Lovin it. :lovegrin:

Just to check with egnaro and Numnumball: does the adjustable centre column of the Explorer tripods help with macro photography focusing?

My challenge is nailing the focus with the very, very shallow DOF which seems difficult to do on a tripod. I was considering using 4-way macro focusing rails, but noticed both of you are using Explorers.

hi guys, thanks for the responses,

i am using a mickey mouse kit

an oldish S2 pro with a 105mm f2.8.

i am going to do product shoots, not bigger than A4 sizes.

i am narrowing down to the manfrotto 405 or 400 geared head because i just want to spend money on a good geared head once.

i read reports that manfrotto 410 creeps.

i intend to buy a geared head meant for bigger cameras, such as medium formats, so that it can handle my mickey mouse camera set up with ease.

Then don't waste your time on the 410. Go straight for the 405 but bear in mind that its big and might be top heavy with your existing tripod.

hi there,

i researched slightly extensively... for non-shake 4 way macro rail, currently, the only solution is the novoflex...

even the RRS (really right stuff) 4 way macro rail slider has got a terrible review by a user.

but both are awesomely expensive.

hi kit!

your pictures are awesome! you have the eye.

yes, i don't think i will look at the manfrotto 410.

am thinking of either the manfrotto 405 or manfrotto 400

abt $650 and $950 for the above...

i think i will go for the 055 xprob (i prefer aluminium compared to carbon fibre, as carbon fibre cracks upon knocks / "sharp test", while aluminium would only deform plastically. i don't mind the weight and understand that aluminium would vibrate like no tomorrow, compared to carbon fibre.

the 058 manfrotto tripod don't allow me to take horizontal pictures, but seemingly, it's uber stable...

hi there,

i researched slightly extensively... for non-shake 4 way macro rail, currently, the only solution is the novoflex...

even the RRS (really right stuff) 4 way macro rail slider has got a terrible review by a user.

but both are awesomely expensive.

Hi Maxtheevil, thanks for sharing your research. You mean the cheap (~USD46) 4-way macro racks on eBay are unstable? I was hoping they would be stable enough since they are just flat surfaces.

hi Valjean,

yes, if u can help it, the HK (chinese made) 4 way is the same as the kirk.

but

so far, from my analysis from reviews...

the worst is the 2 way manfrotto macro rails, it is not stable

but the 4 ways, due to their designs, structurally, they are not stable ...

and yes, the one u are looking at,

i read a bulk of internet reviews and exchanged thoughts with an ex-user... the user currently does not use any 4 ways, cause it's wobbly.

i too have decided to use a good 2 way macro rails only, unless u are going for the novoflex... SG$900? for a 4 way...

nevermind, i can move my tripod... no need 4 way... :)

read this thread

http://www.digital-photography.org/...prices_medicine_dentistry_Canon_EOS_Nikon.php

if it can't open,

here is the crux

Presently I am starting with the Castel-XL focusing rail system because I prefer a more rigid system. I already have two other macro focusing rails: Really Right Stuff (&#8220;Really Wobbles when used&#8221;) and a Manfrotto which is better but flexes when dialing it (but then locks down tightly).

Status
Not open for further replies.