Manchester United VII: Moscow Dream is ALIVE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352502&page=14

con't from where we left off!!!:bsmilie:

Just like watching Brazil

As a child, Wayne Rooney used to watch Brazil's national team in awe of the football they produced. Now, for United, he says he's living a dream playing the same free-flowing, attacking style.

United head to Rome on Tuesday in bouyant mood after sweeping Aston Villa aside 4-0 on Saturday, one of the Reds' best performances this season.

"To be at this club, with the football we play at times, is brilliant," says Rooney. "It's something every player would want to be a part of.

"It's brilliant. Growing up I used to love watching Brazil," he told BBC Sport. "The football we play in this team is similar to the way Brazil play. It's an honour to be in this team."

Rooney himself goes into Tuesday's Champions League quarter final tie in high spirits. His two goals against Villa ended a six-match run without a goal for the Reds with his brace in the deeply impressive victory.

"I was pleased to score, but I know I've been playing well and the main thing is that we've been playing well as a team and winning."

Rooney will be hoping United take the samba style and winning formula with their to Italy. He added: "Roma is going to be a massive game for us and we prepared the right way with the win against Villa."

:devil:

Heaton's Euro chance

Tom Heaton's memorable week got even better when the young goalkeeper touched down in Italy with the rest of the United squad on Monday.

Heaton, who made his England Under-21 debut last Tuesday, is one of three goalkeepers included in United’s 21-man squad for the Champions League quarter-final clash with AS Roma.

With Edwin van der Sar a minor doubt (groin) and Ben Foster ineligible to play in Europe, Heaton may find himself on the bench for tomorrow’s first leg tie at the Stadio Olimpico.

Heaton's possible inclusion would cap a remarkable seven days, which began with an international appearance against Poland U21s at Molineux.

“It was great for me and I really enjoyed the game,” Heaton told Manchester United Radio.

“I’ve been involved in a few squads but I’ve always been watching from the bench or in the stands. This time I finally got on.”

A half-time substitute, Heaton kept a clean sheet and made one particularly impressive stop.

“I was happy with my performance,” he admitted before humbly downplaying his performance. “That save was okay but, to be honest, I think there would have been a few questions asked had it gone in. Maybe it looked a bit better than it actually was.”

The international call-up represents a major step in Heaton’s blossoming career and recognises his consistent performances for United’s Reserves.

At England level, Heaton can look up to experienced stoppers like David James and Paul Robinson, but it’s Edwin van der Sar who gives him day-to-day advice.

“I’ve got fantastic examples at this club,” Heaton said. “Look at Edwin: he’s 37 now and his performances this season have been second to none.

“I’ve learnt a lot from Edwin. I’m talking to him all the time and I couldn’t have asked for him to be any better towards me. I’m always picking stuff up from him, whether I’m watching him in his pre-game warm-up or talking to him at the training ground.

“There are certainly a lot of things in Edwin’s game I’d like to bring into mine. He’s so relaxed and composed and I want to try and mirror that. Some of that comes with experience, of course, but I hope to develop that at this stage of my career.

“I’m only 21 and that’s quite young for a goalkeeper. I’m still learning, I’m still developing and, most of all, I’m trying to get better all the time.”

Roma: Ones to watch

By now you should be well aware of the threat Roma pose. But just in case you haven't been paying attention, we've picked out five of the Giallorossi's key players ahead of April's Champions League quarter final showdown...

20 SIMONE PERROTTA
Position Midfielder Age 30 Nationality Italian
The Ashton-under-Lyne-born playmaker’s presence are integral to Luciano Spalletti’s style and tactics. His pinball-like box-to-box abilities make him a shoe-in for Roma’s most important games. Primarily an attacking midfielder linking the central players with the front men, he also assists in defence. The importance of his ability to break up play was felt acutely by the Italian side during last season’s 7-1 mauling at OT, which he missed due to suspension.

5 PHILIPPE MEXES
Position Defender Age 25 Nationality French
The linchpin of the back line, Mexes is widely regarded as one of the best defenders in Serie A. His biggest asset is his passion but it often gets him into trouble with referees. Mexes’ strength make him a tough and uncompromising, while his telepathic anticipation allows him to break up opposition attacks. If he lives up to his billing, the United strikers are in for a testing time.

30 MANCINI
Position Winger Age 27 Nationality Brazilian
Roma's equivalent of Cristiano Ronaldo, Mancini is, like the United winger, quick, skilful and with an eye for goal. Critics accuse him of inconsistency, but such is his influence that as long as he’s fit he should start. The Brazilian can operate on either flank as well as up front and, if he is in the right mood, is sure to cause problems. He scored against the Reds in the 1-1 Group F match in Rome this season.

14 LUDOVIC GIULY
Position Midfielder Age 31 Nationality French
Good friends with Patrice Evra from their time together at Monaco, when Giuly arrived at Stadio Olimpico from Barcelona it was widely believed he would play the role of winger. But in Perrotta’s absence due to injury during pre-season, the Frenchman adopted a more central role. When Perrotta recovered, Giuly reverted to his more customary role on the flank. A small and nimble player, he possesses exceptional pace that will test United's full-backs. He can also operate up front as an emergency striker when required.

10 FRANCESCO TOTTI
Position Forward Age 31 Nationality Italian
Talisman, captain and Roma fans' hero, Francesco Totti is widely regarded as one of the most talented players of recent years. A creative, deep-lying striker, Totti is dangerous from set-pieces, possesses the ability to unlock defences with an incisive pass, and is also a significant goalscoring threat. He is yet to register in four games against the Reds. But even after 15 years in the game, his appetite for goal shows no sign of waning. He ended last season as Serie A's top scorer with 26 goals and is a major threat.

Reds trio pass the test

Edwin van der Sar, Ryan Giggs and Patrice Evra all appeared to come through training unscathed as United spent an hour on the Stadio Olimpico pitch on Monday night.

Michael Carrick, however, was forced to watch from the sidelines after picking up an injury in the Reds’ weekend win over Aston Villa.

Earlier on Monday, Sir Alex Ferguson admitted there was some uncertainty surrounding Giggs and Evra’s fitness, but neither showed any sign of discomfort during the evening session.

The Reds began with light stretching before progressing to some basic ball work and a small-sided game.

Mikael Silvestre, with only two Reserves games under his belt since damaging cruciate ligaments last September, looked fit and sharp.

Rio Ferdinand, who also came off against Villa, looked fine in the session, despite nursing a black eye sustained during Saturday’s league win.

Boss ignores Totti absence

Sir Alex Ferguson won’t allow the absence of talismanic Roma skipper Francesco Totti to provoke complacency in his players ahead of Tuesday night’s Champions League quarter-final, first leg.

The veteran striker will sit out the match at the Stadio Olimpico after aggravating a thigh problem on Saturday, but the United manager is still expecting a tough test in the Italian capital.

“You can’t say it’s going to be an easy game, as it’s a Champions League quarter-final,” he told his pre-match press conference.

“Totti is definitely an inspirational figure, but I’m sure the experience of Roma's other players and their manager Luciano Spalletti will overcome that.

“Roma are second in the league and have a fantastic chance of winning it. They’re a better team [than last season], without question, as their league position shows.”

Roma are also missing central defender Juan with a foot injury, but United have injury concerns of their own.

Darren Fletcher, Nani, Louis Saha and Gary Neville have all stayed in Manchester, while Sir Alex will monitor the progress of several other squad members in Monday's evening training session.

“You hope to have a full squad available,” he said. “Of course we could do with Louis Saha, and Darren Fletcher is a big game player.

"But I think Edwin van der Sar will be fit. Carrick, Giggs and Evra are our doubts, but we’ll see how they come through training."

Heading to Rome on the back of Saturday's 4-0 demolition of Aston Villa has left United in high spirits.

Sir Alex will hope that, even if injuries force him to make changes to his team, the squad is both confident and strong enough to cope.

“You like to have your best team, but you don’t always have that at this stage of the season," he added.

"Coming into these matches, form is important and we’re pleased with ours."

Just saw the 4 goals scored simply brilliant hope we can score like that against Roma esp the one Ronaldo score his first goal!

6 more hours to go at Stadio Olimpico!

GOGOGO!!!:devil:

Ronaldo's set to shine

Sure, he destroys the likes of Fulham and Bolton, but can Cristiano Ronaldo turn on the style when it really matters?

That’s the question opposition fans keep asking United supporters in pubs around the country. After all, the Reds’ No.7 has never scored against title rivals Chelsea and, until last season’s 7-1 demolition of Roma, only had one Champions League goal to his name.

In Rome on Monday, however, it was Sir Alex Ferguson who was faced with the question ahead of United’s quarter-final, first leg clash at the Stadio Olimpico.

“You have to remember, the boy’s not had as much European football as a lot of the top players on the European scene,” he countered. “He’s only young – he’s just turned 23.

“I’m sure in two or three years’ time the question will not even need to be asked. In domestic football this season he’s improved in every department of his game and the more he plays in Europe, the more he’ll show his attributes on the European stage.

“I have no concerns about that. All I can say is that a year after we came to Rome last season we’re bringing back a player who’s shown incredible improvement and is in fine goalscoring form.”

Indeed, since that 7-1 rout, Ronaldo has scored nine in his last 10 appearances in the competition, including vital winners against Sporting Lisbon (twice) and Olympique Lyonnais. Alongside Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, he’s the current joint top scorer in the 2007/08 competition.

Scholes: Ronny's the best

Paul Scholes admits he’s never played with anyone as good as Cristiano Ronaldo.

Hyperbole comes as unnaturally to the 33-year-old as giving away possession, so Scholes’ comments ahead of United’s crunch Champions League quarter-final, first leg are certain to be heeded.

So often the admired, Scholes became the admirer when asked how enjoyable he finds playing with the Reds’ No.7.

“I’ve played with some top, top players in my time at Old Trafford,” Scholes told the press in Rome.

“But if I’m honest I think Cristiano must now be at the top. To score the amount of goals he has done this season – and from his midfield position – is nothing short of amazing.

“And it’s not only his goals. He’s making chances as well. He poses such a big threat to other teams.”

Scholes’ confidence in Ronaldo was shared by his manager, who said Ronaldo “has a big chance” of winning the coveted Ballon d’or (European Footballer of the Year) should United progress to the Champions League final.

“Reaching the final will really enhance his opportunity [of winning the award], but he certainly has a chance.”

Rome will be tough, they beat RM home and away. Hope can beat them.

Man U beat Roma 2 nil . Song :thumbsup:

Now await news of Vidic injury. Hope he is ok. Prob he will sit out this wk end game.

dont say liao....

i set my clock at 2:30am....

but took piriton to stem my bad nose....

wah...next moment i wake up ..... 8:30am liao :cry:

missed a good showing

haiz...................

alamak....vidic must remain STRONG....so far i see that he's really one who can stand up to being a gary pallister ... thats if his game continues to be just as good

dont say liao....

missed a good showing

haiz...................

alamak....vidic must remain STRONG....so far i see that he's really one who can stand up to being a gary pallister ... thats if his game continues to be just as good

Vidic is more like Steve Bruce while Rio is like Pallister but faster. Gerard Pique is the next replacement for Rio, I feel. John O Shea also the same class.

So far no other defenders in Man U can rplace Vidic

Vidic is more like Steve Bruce while Rio is like Pallister but faster. Gerard Pique is the next replacement for Rio, I feel. John O Shea also the same class.

So far no other defenders in Man U can rplace Vidic
ferdinand is not really comfortable without vidic beside him..... not even o'shea can take vidic's place......

hope he recovers soon....:devil:

It was an excellent result, winning 2 nil away is not easy. :thumbsup: Can say we have 1 foot in the semis liao. A win plus 2 away goals will be a mountian to climb for Roma.

Vidic is a cyborg. :devil: He will be alright.

dont say liao....

missed a good showing

haiz...................

YA SAME! WAKAO I FEEL DAMN SIAN THAT I MISSED SUCH A GOOD GAME!

Haha, okay but I watched the highlights later on. The way Ronaldo snucked up on the defender was top notch. The Roma guy must have thought, 'okay I'm gonna head this clear', and Ronaldo snipped infront of him and snatched the header. Amazing stuff.

Watched the match last night. It was really a very good game. Ronaldo's header is really fabulous. :thumbsup:

It was an excellent result, winning 2 nil away is not easy. :thumbsup: Can say we have 1 foot in the semis liao. A win plus 2 away goals will be a mountian to climb for Roma.

Vidic is a cyborg. :devil: He will be alright.

Nice goal by Ronaldo!
Nou Camp next then off we go to Moscow!!!:thumbsup::devil:

Nice goal by Ronaldo!
Nou Camp next then off we go to Moscow!!!:thumbsup::devil:

Looks like the other semi is easy passage. The Turkish side got good chance to go into semis.

Status
Not open for further replies.