Manchester United V: English Premier League Defending Champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jose leaves Chelsea post

Chelsea have sensationally parted company with manager Jose Mourinho ahead of Sunday's clash with United at Old Trafford.

The Portuguese tactician has left Stamford Bridge by mutual consent after an indifferent start to the season, and Chelsea have confirmed former director of football Avram Grant as Mourinho's successor alongside Steve Clarke.

Grant, a close friend of club owner Roman Abramovich, joined the Blues in the summer from Portsmouth, where he was technical director. He has also coached Israel, Maccabi Tel-Aviv and Maccabi Haifa.

Mourinho's departure is sure to stun the world of football, given the immense success the 44-year-old had enjoyed in his three years at Stamford Bridge. Having arrived from Porto in the summer of 2004, he won two Premier League titles, two Carling Cups, the FA Cup - at United's expense last May - and reached the Champions League semi-finals twice.

As recently as Tuesday morning, Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon had denied rumours that Mourinho would be sacked. "There's loads of speculation that if we don't win Jose gets fired, but that's not the way we think," he said.

It throws Chelsea's preparations for Sunday's visit to Old Trafford into further turmoil as Didier Drogba (knee), Frank Lampard (hip/thigh), Ricardo Carvalho (ankle) and Claudio Pizarro (calf) all face a race to be fit for the trip to Manchester.

With all the injuries n a missing coach.......really leave themin a turmoil...
:devil:

Queiroz denies quit claims
Carlos Queiroz has denied speculation that he will consider his future at the end of 2007 and says he is excited about continuing his role at the club.

Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant was quoted in the press as saying: “I need to reflect on what I want to do in this last part of my career. In December I’m going to stop and think about myself." But, as he explained whilst on United's visit to Lisbon, "it is just a misunderstanding".

"I don't understand why that has come up," he said in an interview with Sky Sports. "But the most important thing is that I'm happy, I'm very happy with the job and the position at Manchester United.

"The club is happy with me, so there's no reason to waste time with that issue."

Queiroz plays a crucial role at United in aiding Sir Alex on a daily basis, and his influence on players like Cristiano Ronaldo is immeasurably important to the Reds. And with a fresh influx of young talent at the club, Queiroz relishes what the future holds at Old Trafford.

"Especially at this moment, we have made a lot of decisions with a medium and long-term view," he added. "We expect a lot of things from our youngest players, talented players that we have got in the last season.

"So there are a lot of hopes and expectations about the future, and I want to be part of that future - it is really a big challenge for all of us."

Finally we hear from the man himself!:sweat::bsmilie:

Papers: Boss eyes whizz-kid

Fergie chases Rabiu
Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to raid Sporting Lisbon again - this time for Nigerian whizz-kid Rabiu Ibrahim. Ibrahim, 17, has caught Manchester United's eye and Fergie is hoping his relationship with Sporting Lisbon can give him the edge on Liverpool and Chelsea, who have been watching the attacking midfielder. Sporting's past discoveries have in cluded United stars Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani.
Staff reporter, Daily Mirror

Following his winning goal in Lisbon, Cristiano Ronaldo admitted he felt sorry for his former team. The United winger kept his celebrations muted after scoring the only goal of the game.

Elsewhere, The Sun report that Jose Mourinho's future as Chelsea manager was doomed after a dramatic bust-up with his trusted skipper John Terry. The reports came after Chelsea confirmed Mourinho had left the club by mutual consent.

Round up by Gemma Thompson

Match pack: Chelsea

You won't decide the title in September, but both United and Chelsea would take victory on Sunday at Old Trafford as a major boost to their hopes of clinching the Premier League crown.

Neither side has come sprinting out of the blocks this term, but both sides need to pick up points to stay in touch with the leading pack. Recent history suggests it will be tight affair - there have been just five goals in the last four meetings between the two sides.

Form guide: United: DDLWWW. The Reds made a sluggish start to the campaign with draws against Reading Portsmouth and defeat to Manchester City. But three 1-0 wins against Tottenham, Sunderland and Everton have hauled United back up the table. Chelsea: WWDWLD.

Ins and outs: As mentioned, Didier Drogba (knee) and Frank Lampard (toe) are both doubts, as is Ricardo Carvalho (ankle). But Chelsea still have the strength in depth to cause United problems. Sir Alex has Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha, who scored 59 goals between them last term, all fit and firing for the first time in the league this season. For Gary Neville (thigh) this match may come too soon, while Darren Fletcher, John O'Shea, Mikael Silvestre (all knee), all miss out.

Star men: United have a team full of players that can turn a game, Ronaldo and Rooney being the two most notable. But Louis Saha has the pace, movement and strength to reach trouble Chelsea's defence, as he did when he scored against the Blues at Old Trafford last season. For Chelsea, John Terry is a warrior and could be key in keeping United out, especially if Lampard and Drogba don't make it, blunting Chelsea's attack.

What are the odds? United to win 2-1 (8/1), Scholes to score the winner (11/1).

I think morale in the Chelsea camp has hit rock bottom following the sacking of the no longer "special one" and it's the perfect time to inflict a big defeat on them at OT. This time, I believe, we can win at least 2-0. :bsmilie::devil:

I think morale in the Chelsea camp has hit rock bottom following the sacking of the no longer "special one" and it's the perfect time to inflict a big defeat on them at OT. This time, I believe, we can win at least 2-0. :bsmilie::devil:

Yeah man!!! its been quite some time we beat them at OT cant remember when we beat them at OT anyone gt any idea?:sweat::devil:

I hope there will be not 'new manager syndrome'. lol Moarinho got an egg in his face. :bsmilie:

Last nite was a hard fought victory. These days, away in Europe, SAF's tactic is not to lose the game. Containment in the 1st half and 2nd half, attack when home team gets fustrated.

I hope there will be not 'new manager syndrome'. lol Moarinho got an egg in his face. :bsmilie:

Last nite was a hard fought victory. These days, away in Europe, SAF's tactic is not to lose the game. Containment in the 1st half and 2nd half, attack when home team gets fustrated.

Snice the day we win the CL till now every season SAF 1st round aim is 10pts to qualify for the next round! Hence the tactic...:bsmilie:
After that will be more serious in the second round n some time struggle to find form!:sweat: :devil:

Jose exit will boost Reds

Former United defender Arthur Albiston believes Jose Mourinho’s sharp exit from Stamford Bridge will work in United’s favour when Chelsea arrive at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Avram Grant was installed at the Blues’ helm following Mourinho’s departure on Thursday morning.

Albiston believes many of the Chelsea squad will be somewhat deflated by this week’s events and is backing United to end the weekend victorious.

“I’m expecting a full-blooded affair at Old Trafford and personally I believe Jose Mourinho’s departure will work in our favour,” he told ManUtd.com.

“It’ll be a huge loss for Chelsea and no matter what their players say leading up to the game, privately most of them will be very deflated at his exit.

“Many of the foreign lads probably only signed for the club because of Mourinho, while the two main English lads, John Terry and Frank Lampard, who were close confidants of Mourinho’s, will be absolutely gutted.”

Like United, Chelsea have not exactly made the start they would have liked. However, while the Reds have turned things around with consecutive 1-0 victories in their last three league matches, Chelsea have taken just four points from their last four games.

Albiston admits Sir Alex's men have not yet the heights of last season, but believes a win on Sunday would go a long way to aiding their title defence.

"Even if Mourinho hadn’t left, I’d still have said it’s a good time to play Chelsea," declared the MUTV pundit. "They’ve had a stuttering start to the season, losing at Villa and drawing at home to Blackburn, so they’ll be coming into the game on a bit of a downer.

"We haven’t been playing to our full capabilities, but the encouraging thing is we’ve still grinded out some excellent results. Of course, it’s still early, but it’s always very important to get results against your main rivals and a win on Sunday could go a long way to helping us retain our title."

Saha bides his time

Louis Saha admits he was frustrated after being left out of the starting line-up to face Sporting Lisbon, but he says Sir Alex Ferguson made the right decision for the team.

The 29-year-old Frenchman, still waiting for his first Reds start since February, was praised by Sir Alex this week for his physical presence and ability to lead the line, his qualities playing off perfectly against the likes of Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Rooney was given the lone striker role in the 1-0 win over Sporting, but Saha will hope he is named in the first eleven when Chelsea visit Old Trafford this weekend.

"Everyone gets frustrated if they're named on the bench in a Champions League game," he said. "Difficult choices always have to be made and I think the manager made the right decision. It was a difficult game on a difficult pitch so it was a great win in the end."

The Reds have become masters of the 1-0 scoreline in recent weeks, and Saha would gladly take a fifth such result in a row on Sunday. "That's the main thing. We need to get points and that's what we're doing now," he said. "We've got the confidence back and we want to keep getting results because that is what will make us champions."

Sir Alex will miss Mourinho

Sir Alex Ferguson paid a brief but glowing tribute to former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, and admits that he will miss the challenge of squaring up to his Portuguese counterpart.

But, at the manager’s pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday’s fixture between the two teams, this was no lingering farewell, nor was it a nostalgic trip down memory lane. Sir Alex was to the point, clearly determined not to let the goings-on at Stamford Bridge overshadow the need for three points at Old Trafford.

“Jose leaving is a disappointment for the game,” he said genuinely. “I think that he was terrific for football and, of course, for Chelsea. I enjoyed the competition with him and I think he brought something fresh and new to our game. I just don’t know what I’m going to do with my wine now!

“What has he done? He’s been fantastic and brought unparalleled success,” he added. “It’s certainly a challenge for the man that replaces him. At the moment it’s Avram Grant, and it’s a big test for him.

“I wish Jose well, but that’s as far as I want to put it,” he said, before declining to take any more questions on the matter. “What happens at Chelsea doesn’t matter to us, we’ve got to focus on our game because it’s still the same set of players that we will be facing. And that’s a challenge enough for us.

“When you play Chelsea it’s always a big game. I don’t think it will be a defining moment, but it’s important.

“If you look at the record between the two teams over the last three or four years there is nothing in it. Very few goals are scored. It’s always a tight, tight game.”

:think: SAF really miss him?:bsmilie:

Sunday too soon for Reds duo

Thigh injuries have ruled Owen Hargreaves and Gary Neville out of Sunday's clash with Chelsea at Old Trafford.

The pair have both trained this week, but Sir Alex Ferguson expects them to return either side of next Wednesday's Carling Cup tie with Coventry City.

"Owen Hargreaves is in training and improving all the time, he's in contention for Coventry," Sir Alex told his pre-match press conference.

"Gary Neville has joined first team training, but the Coventry game is too early. We'll be looking at 7-10 days. For Sunday's game we'll be relying mainly on Wednesday's squad."

No new injuries were collected in United's win over Sporting Lisbon, giving Sir Alex a bulging squad for the visit of the Blues, who face their first game since the departure of manager Jose Mourinho.

More news from Carrington to follow...

Good that we got no injuries from the Lisbon game!

Sir Alex will miss Mourinho

:think: SAF really miss him?:bsmilie:

Seems like it. Among the big 4 managers, Fergie is closest to him liao. Mourinho called Wenger a voyeur and Benitaz already said he dun like him. :bsmilie: Only Fergie will drink his expensive Portugese wine.....except the 1st time when Fergie said his wine sucks. :sweatsm:

man utd leading 1-0 :devil::devil::devil:

Saha scores! :devil:

Song song orgasm liao! :bsmilie: VDS lucky today, he get to be a non paying spectator. :devil:

FT: Manchester United 2-0 Chelsea :devil:

Scorers: Tevez and Saha.

No Moaning hole, Chelsea lack direction and focus. Just 1 shot registered on goal today.

FT: Manchester United 2-0 Chelsea :devil:

Scorers: Tevez and Saha.

No Moaning hole, Chelsea lack direction and focus. Just 1 shot registered on goal today.

abramovich... have gotta find a new manager... the current one cmi...

anyway thumbs upz for man utd... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.