Manchester United IX - Quest for Treble Glory Continues....

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
Previous thread!

Carlos proud of first quadruple

Carlos Tevez is keen to lead United's attack on all fronts after taking his Carling Cup tally to five for the season so far.

Scorer of the match-winning penalty against QPR in the fourth round, the terrific Tevez blasted four past Blackburn Rovers in the fifth. His quadruple included another spot-kick and an opening goal that may eventually be re-credited as an Aaron Mokoena own goal.

Not that Carlos is considering that for now, as he enjoys the limelight he richly deserves after destroying Paul Ince's side at Old Trafford.

"I'm very proud to score four goals," Tevez told MUTV, with his team-mate Rodrigo Possebon acting as interpreter.

"It's the first time I've done it in my career and I'm very proud to have achieved this in a United shirt. We're very happy as a team with our performance, and I'm happy with my performance as well.

"For the players who do not play very often, it was a very good night because we showed we can play in any game that's to come in the Premier League or Champions League."

Chipping in with some words of his own, Possebon echoed Tevez's pride in the display.

"It was a great performance - five goals, four from Carlito and one from Nani - and we are very proud. Blackburn are a very good team with some players who can make a difference. But we played better and we're delighted to have won again."

:devil:

Spurs join Reds in last four

United will be joined in the last four of the Carling Cup by just one other Premier League side.

Tottenham's 2-1 win over Watford at White Hart Lane secured Harry Redknapp's men a place in the semi-finals. Goals from Darren Bent and Roman Pavlyuchenko ensured the current holders are still in with a shout of defending their trophy.

Joining United and Spurs in the last four are Championship sides Burnley and Derby County.

Having knocked Chelsea out of the competition in the fourth round, Burnley secured another top flight scalp with a 2-0 victory over the Gunners at Turf Moor.

Derby also saw off Premier League opposition to reach their first League Cup semi-final in 40 years. An injury time Nathan Ellington penalty gave the Rams a 1-0 win over Stoke City.

The draw for the semi-finals takes places on Saturday lunchtime. ManUtd.com will bring you news of our last four opponents as soon as it is known.

No homecoming for Danny

Blackburn's on-loan Reds defender Danny Simpson is ineligible to play in Wednesday night’s Carling Cup fifth round tie, but he'll be an interested spectator from the stands.

On loan at Ewood Park until the end of the season, the right-back has been a regular in Paul Ince’s side this term. On Wednesday, however, Premier League regulations prevent a player taking the field against his employers.

“I was gutted when we were drawn against United because it means I can’t play,” he told United Review. “It will be good to go back to Old Trafford and see a few mates, though.”

Although born and bred in Manchester, Simpson admits he’ll be cheering for Blackburn on Wednesday night.

“I hope Blackburn can put in a good performance and get through so I can play again in the semi-finals.”

If Rovers are to beat the Reds, they’ll need to overcome a form slump that’s seen Ince’s side win just one of their past 10 games.

Any turnaround in fortunes is likely to be accompanied by goals from striker Roque Santa Cruz, a player Simpson regards as one of the best strikers he’s seen. “He’s world class. He’s a great finisher and powerful too.”

Q&A: Danny Welbeck

Longsight-born Danny Welbeck is just 17, but he's trained with the first team for nearly a year. And the highly-rated striker, who came on to win a penalty against QPR, told United Review before the game that he's itching for more opportunities…

Your season has been disrupted with injuries so far. How’s your fitness?
I started training recently and I feel OK. I injured my groin in the Carling Cup game against Middlesbrough… after that, I went away with England when I wasn’t fully fit, played the game and tore a groin muscle. It’s annoying because I missed nearly the whole of pre-season with tendonitis. I was dying to get back, then when I did I got the groin injury, so I’ve had to be really patient and now I’m ready to go.

You were among the stars of the show in against Boro in September – what are your memories of the night?
I was just delighted to make an appearance and play in front of so many people. Being a Manchester boy, growing up in Longsight, playing for United is just a dream. I only found out I was playing just before the game. I thought there was a chance I might start, and then the manager named the team, it hit me straight away. It focused me – and everyone was saying to keep my head.

You come across as a player who isn’t easily flustered – were there any nerves before or during the game?
[Smiles] I wouldn’t say if there were. Afterwards I was just hungry for more. If that’s nervous, I want more nervous times!

Having trained with the first team for a few months now, do you feel part of the squad?
When I first joined up with the first team I was a little bit star-struck, but now I talk to them all and have banter with them – I tell them to “bring it”! There’s nothing better than training with the first team. I’d rather be doing that every day than be out on loan somewhere, especially at my age. I'm 18 soon, I’m just hoping I can continue training with the first team and get in a few squads this season.

There’s a lot of expectation for you within the club – do you feel any pressure?
Not really. I don’t take too much notice of all that. I just play my own game and work towards justifying all their hopes. If I can keep doing that, hopefully I’ll make a breakthrough.

Sir Alex has intimated that he’ll blood a few youngsters in the Carling Cup again this season – are all the young lads raring for a game?
Definitely, we all are. There are some great players in the Reserves this year. Tom Cleverley and Danny Drinkwater have come on massively this season, and they are probably ready to step up as well.

Last year United’s youngsters were shocked by Coventry. What are your memories of watching the game?
I was sat in the stand and I couldn’t understand why we weren’t winning, or at least doing better, since we had so many good players. When we lost, I remember thinking, “I’ve got to try my hardest to get to this stage next year.” Luckily I’ve managed to do it. Now I’m setting new goals and I’ll be aiming to reach them too.

The young lads will all look to capitalise on any first-team openings – could you go all the way to Wembley?
Anything can happen in football. When we youngsters get together and play, we’re always raring to go. We want to get in people’s faces and, if we play together, I think it would be a really good combination and we can do really well. So, you never know.

Wah Tevez really made his case clear to Fergie. :bsmilie: 4 goals, his final 2 are really nice. But how the team went to sleep and became over confident is not good at all. Just like against Hull, allowed Blackburn to score 3 goals.

Wah Tevez really made his case clear to Fergie. :bsmilie: 4 goals, his final 2 are really nice. But how the team went to sleep and became over confident is not good at all. Just like against Hull, allowed Blackburn to score 3 goals.

ALthough they concede 3 goals i can say their performance like Rafeal, Anderson, and the rest is enough Headace for SAF liao... but Manucho like have only 10+mins on the field!:think::bsmilie:

Keane quits Sunderland

Roy Keane has quit his post as Sunderland manager.

Keane had come under fire from the media after a string of poor results left the Black Cats 18th in the league ahead of Sunderland's visit to Old Trafford on Saturday.

The first reports of Keane's departure emerged from the North East at approximately 11.30am on Thursday morning. Sunderland Football Club confirmed the news an hour later.

In a statement on Sunderland's official website, chairman Niall Quinn said: "Roy deserves huge respect for his contribution and the manner in which he guided the club from the depths of the Championship back to the Premier League. His winning mentality and single-mindedness were just what this club needed.

"Roy’s decision to stand aside and allow someone else to take charge of the next chapter sums up his desire to always do what is best for the Club. Even in his departure he has been more concerned for the welfare of the players and his staff than himself.

"The Board has reluctantly accepted his decision and wish him and his family well for the future."

The Irishman, who played 480 times for United, took over at the Stadium of Light 27 months ago, leading them into the top-flight in his first season in charge. Last term, his first campaign in the Premier League ended with a 15th-place finish, but poor results this season ultimately led to his departure.

Sunderland have commenced the task of identifying and recruiting Keane's successor. In the interim, Ricky Sbragia has agreed to take over team management, assisted by Neil Bailey and Dwight Yorke.

Reds can cope with congestion
Sir Alex Ferguson is confident he has both the quality and numbers within his squad to cope with the expected fixture congestion in the second half of the season.

While the boss is delighted to have progressed to the Carling Cup semi-finals, it means there are two extra games to squeeze into an already busy calendar. The postponed league games against Fulham and Wigan, both scheduled to take place at Old Trafford, are also yet to be rearranged.

The United manager insists every member of the squad will play their part in the team's quest for silverware and he remains upbeat about the challenges that lie ahead.

"I won’t be letting anyone go out on loan, I’ll be keeping everyone together because we’re going to need them," he told MUTV.

"Paul Scholes is back which is great because it's an extra player to bring into the squad.

"Reaching the semi-finals means we’ve got two more games to play and we’ve still to rearrange the league games against Fulham and Wigan which won’t be easy. But the good thing is we’ve got a big strong squad and I'm sure we'll be okay."

Tevez poses problems

Carlos Tevez's four-goal display against Blackburn Rovers has given Sir Alex Ferguson food for thought ahead of Saturday's visit of Sunderland.

With Wayne Rooney back amongst the goals with the winner in last weekend's Manchester derby and Dimitar Berbatov back from injury, the Argentine's superb midweek outing has been posing the manager problems this week.

"Carlos, without question has given me a big selection problem," said Sir Alex. "I’ve been doodling on my pad the last couple of days, trying to see how I can fit all these players in, but one of the important ingredients of your team is to have a proper balance. It was a fantastic performance of energy, aggression and running, I admire him for that, and it doesn’t make my job any easier."

Tevez has endured a frustrating season, clocking up appearances largely as a substitute since the September arrival of Berbatov, but Sir Alex is happy to have him champing at the bit for more involvement.

"It’s obvious that he doesn’t enjoy it, he wants to play," he said. "Do I want players who don’t enjoy being left out, or do I want players who are quite happy sitting in the stand? I’ve got to manage that myself as best I can.

"He wants to play, I can understand that. I want to pick a team that wins, and I want to be as fair as I can in doing that. Performance does matter, and his performance on Wednesday gives me a big problem."

Boss shocked by Keane exit

Sir Alex Ferguson has expressed his dismay at the shock resignation of Roy Keane from the Sunderland manager's post.

The former Reds midfielder stood down on Thursday, just two days before he was due to bring his struggling Black Cats side to Old Trafford, and his former manager is unsure what the future holds for the enigmatic Irishman.

"Sunderland without Roy is a surprise and a pity," Sir Alex told his pre-match press conference. "We just wish Roy well because he was a great player here. It's difficult to say whether he'll be back or not, he's an incredible controversial character. He was controversial, even as a player he was exactly that, but a fantastic player.

"Very few managers last more than three or four years with a club nowadays. It’s getting shorter and shorter, the lifespan of a manager with a club. The can move on to other clubs of course, with different challenges, but it’s a very precarious industry."

The fact remains that United must still rise above the unexpected change in circumstances, and Sir Alex is confident of building on last weekend's Manchester derby win.

"I don’t know what to expect," he said. "I do expect my team to show the concentration and focus they had last Sunday. That was Manchester United back, I’m sure of that.

"Last Sunday I was forthright about our performances in the first half and second half of games this season. First half performances have been magnificent, but losing focus has certainly happened. Certainly at Everton we threw two points away. We couldn’t go on that way, we had to win last Sunday and thankfully we did."

Papers: Leave Ince alone

Don't make Ince the next victim
Alex Ferguson insists Paul Ince must be given time to get things right at Blackburn. Fergie’s Manchester United piled more pressure on the Guv’nor by slamming in five to put Rovers out of the Carling Cup on Wednesday. Blackburn have now lost five of their last six matches in all competitions and face a crucial run of matches between now and the New Year. Tomorrow’s visit of leaders Liverpool is followed by games against teams around them in the Premier League table — Wigan, Stoke, Sunderland. They then host Manchester City on December 28. That run seems certain to decide Ince’s fate after just six months as manager at Ewood Park. But his former Old Trafford boss is sure he will get it right.
Ferguson said: “There is no longer a Jack Walker with lots of money. He has lost a couple of players but provided his club give him enough time, I’m sure he will be OK.
"Paul is a tough character, as I discovered when he was a player here. He always had something special about him. He has taken that into management and, though he clearly has problems, I think he will come through them.”
Martin Blackburn, The Sun

Column inches are dominated by Roy Keane's departure from Sunderland. But with the January transfer deadline fast looming, The Telegraph has re-opened its transfer rumours feature. It reports that Cristiano Ronaldo could be the subject of an audacious bid from Inter Milan to lure the Ballon d'Or winner to Italy. The same piece also says Manchester City and Real Madrid are continuing to monitor Carlos Tevez, and the Reds are heading the race to sign Wigan midfielder Antonio Valencia.

Round up by Nick Coppack

Evans pays tribute to Keane

United defender Jonny Evans has hailed the impact Roy Keane had on him during his two spells on loan at Sunderland.

The Wearsiders face United on Saturday evening still reeling from Keane's departure on Thursday. Evans believes the former Reds midfielder's exit will leave a big hole at the Stadium of Light club, who are 18th in the league after a string of poor results.

"He had a massive effect," Evans told United Review ahead of the Black Cats' visit.

"I don't think anyone who has worked with him could deny that he's influenced them, because he's that type of character, and he did wonders with the Sunderland team."

Scholes sits out Sunderland

United have no fresh injury concerns ahead of Sunderland's visit to Old Trafford on Saturday, although Paul Scholes is likely to be rested after returning to action on Wednesday night.

Scholes, who was sidelined with a knee injury for seven weeks, came on as a 66th-minute substitute against Blackburn Rovers in the Carling Cup. But despite his return to the field, Sir Alex told the media on Friday morning that the 34-year-old is unlikely to be involved against Sunderland.

"Scholesy came through his half-hour against Blackburn but I don't think we'll involve him on Saturday," said the boss.

"He'll certainly get some football in Japan [for the FIFA Club World Cup]. That's maybe the best route for him."

Meanwhile, the manager says he expects Darren Fletcher to be okay, despite feeling his hamstring during the Manchester derby last Sunday.

Match Pack: Sunderland

Form Guide: Sunderland have lost five of their last six league matches, including a heavy defeat at home to Bolton (1-4) in their last game. The Black Cats currently sit in 18th place and their confidence won't have been done any favours by Roy Keane's resignation. In sharp contrast, United are third and flying after last weekend’s win over local rivals Manchester City.

Ins and Outs: Cristiano Ronaldo is available after serving a one-game suspension for his dismissal at Eastlands. Paul Scholes is also available for selection after completing a 24-minute run-out in the Carling Cup win over Blackburn. Owen Hargreaves and Wes Brown remain unavailable. Meanwhile, Sunderland’s David Connolly has yet to recover form a groin injury, but George McCartney and Martyn Waghorn should both be fit. Former Red Kieran Richardson misses the match through suspension.

Star Man: Fast as lightning and more than a little crafty, Djibril Cisse has all the ingredients necessary to unsettle top-flight defences. He’s already bagged six goals this season.

Rivals Watch: Arsenal v Wigan, Blackburn v Liverpool, Bolton v Chelsea (Sat 15:00 GMT)

Boss shocked by Keane exit

Roy Keane will not return to OT as a rivial manager afterall. Think he gave up hope on Sunderland liao. Think Keane's greatest flaw is his buying of players. Seems like he can't spot talent or have lousy scouts.

40 min liao still goalless!:sweat::devil:

Roy Keane will not return to OT as a rivial manager afterall. Think he gave up hope on Sunderland liao. Think Keane's greatest flaw is his buying of players. Seems like he can't spot talent or have lousy scouts.

Think he will not return to soccer liao!:(:cry:

Wa seh can belive we struggle against a managerless team!:confused:

United 1 Sunderland 0

The most unlikely of heroes rescued United from an embarrassing 0-0 draw against 18th-placed Sunderland at Old Trafford on Saturday evening.

Nemanja Vidic scored his eighth United goal, and surely his most important, in the 91st minute to keep United in touching distance at the top of the table.

The Serbian was first to react after Michael Carrick’s deflected shot bounced off the post and back across goal, with Black Cats stopper Marton Fulop stranded.

Fulop had previously frustrated the Reds time and again, albeit aided by a Sunderland side so lacking in attacking ambition that their fans cheered a second-half throw-in near United’s corner flag as if their side had gone in front.

The visitors, rattled on Thursday by Roy Keane’s exit, certainly didn’t show too many signs of crumbling completely. They defended doggedly and would have been delighted to take a point off the English and European champions.

The Reds enjoyed most of the early possession, although Sir Alex’s men didn’t carve out any clear openings until the 12th minute, when Ronaldo’s clever flick found Berbatov on the edge of the box. He turned and fired goalwards, only to see goalkeeper Marton Fulop save well with his feet.

Berbatov started alongside Wayne Rooney, despite Carlos Tevez’s four-goal haul in midweek, and the pair linked well in the opening exchanges. Indeed, Sir Alex stuck with the same side that beat Manchester City at Eastlands last Sunday, and the familiarity appeared to breed confidence.

Cristiano Ronaldo earned a free kick on 14 minutes after his mazy run was halted illegally on the edge of the Sunderland area. Rather than blast the set-piece goalwards, however, the Ballon d’Or winner fooled everyone by laying the ball square into Rooney’s path. Wayne’s shot, more placement than power, was helped on its way by Berbatov, who again had the displeasure of watching Fulop save well.

Ten minutes later, Rooney opted only for power, when he volleyed spectacularly from 20 yards out. From certain angles, it looked as if the ball might arrow into the top corner, but in the end it sailed harmlessly wide and out for a goal kick.

Sunderland, meanwhile, lacked firepower. Dwight Yorke, returning to the club where he scored 66 goals, was less goal threat and more goal tender, as he patrolled the area just in front of the visitors’ back four. The only Sunderland man consistently playing as a forward was former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse.

Ji-sung Park, who’d been lively early on, forced another save from Fulop on 28 minutes after linking well with Rooney. Park stretched to reach Rooney’s return ball but couldn’t muster enough power to beat the goalkeeper.

Park went close again shortly after, while Fletcher also fired over the bar after Michael Carrick’s miscued volley.

Sunderland’s best chance of the half came on 40 minutes, when Rio Ferdinand fouled Cisse 25 yards from goal. The Frenchman took the free-kick himself but only succeeded in firing it into the Reds’ wall.

The score may have been 0-0 at the break, but Sir Alex isn’t one to panic and stood by the 11 on the pitch. He did, however, deem it necessary to throw on Carlos Tevez on 58 minutes after Rooney, Carrick and Fletcher had all failed to send United into the lead.

Fletcher’s was perhaps the best chance, the Scot swivelling to hit a left-footed shot just past the post after good work from Rafael down the right.

The next chance, fashioned for Ronaldo when Berbatov picked the no.7 out with a clever cut-back, also missed the target. Ronny, under intense pressure as he shot, blazed over from 12 yards. It was his last meaningful involvement in the game, the challenge leaving the winger with a hip injury that forced him from the field shortly afterwards.

It prompted a double change – Giggs for Ronaldo, Anderson for Fletcher – and United’s record appearance-maker was next to miss the target, volleying wide from a tight angle.

To be fair, it was a difficult chance… which is more than can be said for the opportunity Dimitar Berbatov spurned with 15 minutes to play. Carrick’s teasing, pin-point ball from the left wing found the Bulgarian unmarked just seven yards from goal, but his radar, like his team-mates’, malfunctioned, and the ball sailed over the bar.

Nemanja Vidic did hit the target on 81 minutes. The Serbian did well to reach Rooney’s cross first, but his header was straight down Fulop’s throat.

Anderson, still without a goal in his Reds career, couldn’t capitalise on two late chances: he first saw a shot bravely blocked before Carrick’s volley from 18 yards fizzed past the Brazilian’s boot as he stretched to poke it home.

The match looked destined to end goalless until Vidic popped up in the Sunderland box to fire home the winner and send Old Trafford into dreamland.

United: Van der Sar; Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Ronaldo (Giggs 68), Carrick, Fletcher (Anderson 68), Park (Tevez 57); Rooney, Berbatov

Subs not used: Kuszczak, Evans, Neville, Nani
Booked: Rooney

Sunderland: Fulop; Chimbonda, Ferdinand, Collins, Bardsley; Malbranque, Whitehead (Edwards 76), Yorke, Reid, Diouf; Cisse (Jones 69)

Subs not used: Colgan, Tanio, Nosworthy, Murphy, Leadbitter
Booked: n/a

Vida delighted with winner

Nemanja Vidic admitted his injury-time winner against Sunderland was the most important goal of his United career.

The Serbian has now scored eight times since arriving at Old Trafford in January 2006, but none prompted the sort of celebrations seen after his strike on Saturday.

“I think the pictures tell the story!” Vidic told MUTV. “My favourite goal is my one against Everton [another winner, in September 2007), but this one, scored with my left foot, is probably the most important. It’s always nice to score.”

Old Trafford erupted when Vidic side-footed home in the 91st minute after Michael Carrick’s shot came back off the post. The Reds had been knocking on the door all afternoon, only to be frustrated time and time again.

“We tried all game to score a goal, but we never gave up,” Vidic said. “We attacked all game and we got our reward, we got the three points. At this time in the season it’s important to win every game and we did that. We’ve taken another important step today.”

It was vital the Reds bag three points after title rivals Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all won in the day’s earlier kick-offs.

“That put a little bit of extra pressure on us,” Vidic admitted. “It was important that we follow them and keep in touch at the top.

“We played well against Manchester City last week and today, although we didn’t play as well as we did last Sunday, we got the three points and that’s what’s important.

“Maybe we didn’t create a lot of clear-cut opportunities, but we were always in their half and had a few strikes. We deserved the points.”

Tevez happy with his role

Carlos Tevez was fully understanding of Sir Alex’s decision to drop him to the bench against Sunderland after his four-goal haul in the Carling Cup in midweek. But the Argentinian can look forward to a first Premier League start in a month next weekend against Tottenham Hotspur.

Wayne Rooney is suspended for the match after picking up his fifth yellow card this season late on in Saturday’s match.

“I had a long chat with Carlos,” explained the Reds boss. “He understood exactly [my position]. If the performance hadn’t been so good against Manchester City he would have started against Sunderland.

“In the second half we couldn’t get him on quick enough. He worked his socks off as he normally does. He brought energy to the front part of the pitch and it was a good half hour.”

United have fitness concerns over Cristiano Ronaldo. The Reds winger came off in the second half holding his hip and the Reds medical staff will now have to examine the extent of the damage, but he may be missing for a few games.

“He got a kick in the hip joint,” said the boss. “It was like the injury Wayne had last year when he was in a lot of pain and missed a few games. We’ll just have to see how he is on Sunday. We’ve got the game against Aalborg on Wednesday, but we’ll be making some changes because Tottenham on Saturday is a big game for us.”

Rooney and Patrice Evra are both suspended for the trip to White Hart Lane, so that will test the strength of United’s squad. Sir Alex will bring Tevez into the starting line-up alongside Dimitar Berbatov, and he hopes to have John O’Shea available to take over left-back duties from Evra.

Status
Not open for further replies.