Managing Unused DSLR Batteries

MachCurve

Oct 26, 2011
Hi all,

If I were to leave my DSLR's Lithium battery unused for a long period (7mths - 1yr), what should I do to maintain the health of the battery?

According to the camera guide, it says "If the battery pack is not to be used for a long time, charge it and then fully use it up once a year on your camera before storing the battery pack in a dry, cool place to prolong the battery life."

Does this mean I should leave the battery with 0% charge (ie empty) and then store it? That said, I read from some sites that it might be advisable to keep the batteries charged at about 40-50%.

Using a Sony A55.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi, MachCurve! I have a backup battery for each of my cameras. So, I do have a bunch of Li-ion batteries lying around at any one time. Plus, I'm a bit of a flashaholic, so I have a big stash of RCRs and 18650s too.

Do read - up at Battery University regarding Lithium Ion Battery packs. There's a lot of useful information there.

My advice is, get your camera out more. If you bring your camera out with you every day or a few days a week, you can always keep your batteries topped up.

Last edited:
joNWKng said:
Hi, MachCurve! I have a backup battery for each of my cameras. So, I do have a bunch of Li-ion batteries lying around at any one time. Plus, I'm a bit of a flashaholic, so I have a big stash of RCRs and 18650s too.

Do read - up at Battery University regarding Lithium Ion Battery packs. There's a lot of useful information there.

My advice is, get your camera out more. If you bring your camera out with you every day or a few days a week, you can always keep your batteries topped up.

Thanks for the help! That website is filled with loads of stuff. But my question remains unanswered! Anyway, I'm not really keen on bringing my camera out on a frequent basis as its quite cumbersome.

Hi all,

If I were to leave my DSLR's Lithium battery unused for a long period (7mths - 1yr), what should I do to maintain the health of the battery?

According to the camera guide, it says "If the battery pack is not to be used for a long time, charge it and then fully use it up once a year on your camera before storing the battery pack in a dry, cool place to prolong the battery life."

Does this mean I should leave the battery with 0% charge (ie empty) and then store it? That said, I read from some sites that it might be advisable to keep the batteries charged at about 40-50%.

Using a Sony A55.

Any help is appreciated!
it is better to store the battery at FULLY CHARGED state, once it drop too low and without recharge for a period of time, it simply drop dead, and you won't able to revive it.

I think the instructions meant to at least fully deplete the battery via normal usage at least once a year. As for storage, it is recommended to keep it fully charged.