Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

Managers, what if you got retrenched?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiver

May 21, 2008
Singapore
People in managerial positions, who according to current trends are most at risk of losing their jobs. What would you do, or what are you doing in case you got retrenched?

get a MBA, or a second master in a different discipline...

or

keep sending resume... try for overseas posting.

I believe this recession is over reacted, and with all major media trying to sensationalise news :thumbsd:

by end of Q2 I believe a lot of corporate will start to realise they have over reacted and hiring will being again to get the top notch execs into their firms.

get a MBA, or a second master in a different discipline...

or

keep sending resume... try for overseas posting.

I believe this recession is over reacted, and with all major media trying to sensationalise news :thumbsd:

by end of Q2 I believe a lot of corporate will start to realise they have over reacted and hiring will being again to get the top notch execs into their firms.

I wish I could go for further studies...but I need to put the food on the table for my family...:cry:

My choice will be find a job at equ pay, then if not, get a job with paycuts...

I agree, a lot of folks will have to put food on the table. Being in managerial position may mean that there is a lot less open positions out there. Front line workers are needed more than managers and high level execs. Kind of sick to think that you work hard to get promoted then to get terminated.

I wish I could go for further studies...but I need to put the food on the table for my family...:cry:

My choice will be find a job at equ pay, then if not, get a job with paycuts...

that's the risk of being in the managerial position.

But instead of waiting for another job with similar pay, can consider having 2 jobs. A bit xiong but should be able to make ends meet.

nevertheless, I think money management is the key. Need to cut back on spending.

Sometimes I really respect my vehicle mechanic who can support a family with 3 teenage kids and wife not working and still can survive in our expensive city :thumbsup:

if i were a manager, i would diversify and take up modelling

you can sign up at the sion school of modelling anytime. :)

A relative of mine used to be a supervisor and he and his manager got retrenched together. In the end, they are now doing very well selling seafood at Bedok Road. Although not operating on Zhenfa's scale, their stall has very delicious menus.

why wait, make yourself valuable to your company and you will not be retrenched
simple right

When business is down and collection is running bad......... anything and everything u do will be in vain.........

if i were a manager, i would diversify and take up modelling

you can sign up at the sion school of modelling anytime. :)

When u aare in your prime......... the physical side may not be that appealing....... :(

When business is down and collection is running bad......... anything and everything u do will be in vain.........

ah.. that is the best time to show your value

think out of the box and come up with solutions that will benefit the company
the spotlight will then shine on you and your bosses will notice

Ah you mean in your 'prime' or 'PAST your prime'? heheh

Hope you not a copywriter leh...like this sure shortlisted for retrenching heh.

No lah, I'm not a copywriter..... guys between age 40-45 are at their peak in terms of career, but their look, I think its starting to go downhill....heheehe....... gals will disagree with this, because they are just staring at your 'fat' wallet..... hehehe......

No lah, I'm not a copywriter..... guys between age 40-45 are at their peak in terms of career, but their look, I think its starting to go downhill....heheehe....... gals will disagree with this, because they are just staring at your 'fat' wallet..... hehehe......

hello what go down...I am 46 leh heheh I rather think I still got a fighting chance physically ! heheh....

Then I could become the Deputy Managing Director liao..... hehehhe......

It will defintely be nice to have that sparkle at the crucial time.... but sometimes, our hands, legs, mouth are all tied... there is practically nothing we could do. Especially when banks are so cautious and edggy about your coy performance, any negative news, straightaway they are at your doorsteps to 'discuss' your repayment terms....... of course, they have hidden their shotguns somewhere in their bags.... and mine, look at their SMILE!!

The thing is that once a retrenchment exercise has been decided and/or made known, the higher ups usually already have an idea on how many to axe, when and who to axe. So whatever you do at this point in time is already moot. It's already late in the ball game, so to say.

:Later,

hello what go down...I am 46 leh heheh I rather think I still got a fighting chance physically ! heheh....

I think u are still single right? hehhee....... 'Wang lao hu'??? Of course u will be the crouching tiger..... if u got a wife and 3 young kids growing up and 2 houses to pay and driving a car, u will become a pussy cat!! hahahhaa........

Clearly, I am happy for you that your boss is forwarding thinking, very delibrate in making decisions, who never resort to letting go of people at the drop of the hat and who is also demanding, opportunistic but fair (or that is you to your employees heh) ... if only my boss had those traits then I would not have to toss my bye bye letter to his face recently bad as the economy is. :sweat:

Taking your example for instance, if the solution you dream up to save your bacon is good and does not cost money to implement, probably you'll get a shot to try it and keep your fingers crossed it will bear fruit ...on the short term.

But when company fund's tight and your solution cost the company money, risky, takes too long to quantify and is an untried idea, they just might take the idea, fire you and delegate someone cheaper to try it out .....or hire a cheaper new staff to do the work......or wait till they have the funds to do it later when the economical climate improves to take the risk......minus you.

Short sighteness in business is still very common in Singapore. There are exceptions to the rule but it's rare.....even in good times.

I think u are still single right? hehhee....... 'Wang lao hu'??? Of course u will be the crouching tiger..... if u got a wife and 3 young kids growing up and 2 houses to pay and driving a car, u will become a pussy cat!! hahahhaa........

har? what has that to do with being physically fit or looking good? Just have to work it into your schedule if it is of importances to you. Even a workaholic has to be mindful of his health if he want to "pau si pau hai" to have a family, get a car, a house or two and then some... if not weak health will just make that impossible as you age. heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.