Man Made Nature

Saranraj

Dec 4, 2012
singapore
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
All possible area

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
A impressive man made structure

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was in jurong bird park and it was tken there. This waterfall was the tallest man made one in asia( not sure if it is sill the tallest).

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think the picture is ok.. But i feel that the netting on the top spoiled the top half of it.

8541824352_1d1a5d0048_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there.

I like that you've taken the shot from an angle where the foliage in the foreground adds to the overall photo. The water in the foreground certainly adds to the scene.

However, the photo is quite under-exposed. The details of the rock formation on the fact of the waterfall wall are too muted. I had the same trouble when shooting in harsh light (early afternoons). A lot of detail is lost especially when the depth of the scene is quite huge. I am still trying to figure out how to solve that issue. I don't know if yo had faced that problem as well.

Btw, I tried to edit the photo a little. I just tweaked the exposure/contrast/brightness. See if it works for you.

edied manmade by Norman Selvaraju, on Flickr

I'm still learning bout photography. So don't take my comments without consideration!

Cheers!

i think keeping the netting at the top of the photo is ok to show the man-made structure. suggest brightening the waterfall by dodging the photo and adding some backlight correction.
e.g.
8543069055_03bf139df0_b.jpg

I thought the net could be omitted further and moving slightly to the left mightgive a stronger emphasis on the waterfall.

Thank you for the feedback :)

Selva - yes I encounter the same prob and I was there in the noon period..

Zaren - how do you that? Like what software did you use?

Nitewalk - thank you for ur opinion. Will take it into account :)

Thank you for the feedback :)

Selva - yes I encounter the same prob and I was there in the noon period..

Zaren - how do you that? Like what software did you use?

Nitewalk - thank you for ur opinion. Will take it into account :)

Saranraj - i used the freeware program "Photoscape", use the filter/regions/brightness, adjust for size and feathering to selectively brighten the waterfall in the middle of the photo. also used the backlight correction tool.

I agree with Zaren to keep the net but I removed the cloud in the middle as it is too distracting to me. I brighten the dark portion slightly..

8550939661_23884fc148_c.jpg

Cheers.

wj

Last edited:
Not really digging this scene at all... Not about your photograph at all, its just that I don't see anything special about the waterfall at all, that makes me wanna do a double take.. Seems a little messy and everything is all over the place and just a bit too chaotic..

Thanks for sharing though!

Not really digging this scene at all... Not about your photograph at all, its just that I don't see anything special about the waterfall at all, that makes me wanna do a double take.. Seems a little messy and everything is all over the place and just a bit too chaotic..

Thanks for sharing though!

I agreed! That's no.1 as you commented. In term of editing or improving the image shouldn't be any problem either underexposed or overexposed still can be done as long as the image is saving in raw data in camera setting. Important thing is the subject and composition.

cheers.

wj

Last edited:
i like your pic and i know you wanted the sky so you had no choice but to underexpose something else. maybe invest in a gradient filter? so you can enjoy taking pics more