Man Disappearing Into Fog With His Horse

Kleonn

Dec 3, 2009
s1hobt.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I would like comments on my post production technique. I used Silver Efex Pro.
Also, I myself have no qualms with the composition as of now, but maybe some of you can point out several areas that can be improved?

2. what one hopes to achieve with this work

I just want critique, thanks very much. Sorry for providing such little detail.

Too much distractions present. The main subjects are too small. 1st thing I notice is the car, then the tree trunks on the right. I have to zoom in to see the man n horse, which says a lot of their visual impact within the overall frame. Nice mood though...

Too much distractions present. The main subjects are too small. 1st thing I notice is the car, then the tree trunks on the right. I have to zoom in to see the man n horse, which says a lot of their visual impact within the overall frame. Nice mood though...

1 more thing to add... The 'headless' horse is a rather discomforting sight, IMO.

Your title says man and horse. But the man an horse are sooooo small in the picture, less than 10%. And are you sure it is a horse? at this distance and angle, it could be a donkey.. or a really tall but thin cow.

Can hardly see the horse and man. Go closer or crop 90% off.

To be fair to TS, the thread title does say that the man and his horse are disappearing, heh. Though like Lekech mentioned there are too many distractions in the photo.

Sorry the composition doesn't work for me t/s, but i do get what you are trying to achieve here. Good job. Better luck next time. :)

If you got a zoom lens, you might wanna zoom for framing. Agree that there's quite alot of distraction against the subject. Sometimes, little is more :)

Hmm, I think if you want to show the disappearance, you can cut a portait crop of the picture, position the horse and the man on the upper third of the photo and blurring the car. I wonder if it will show the disappearance more adequately.

Hmm, I think if you want to show the disappearance, you can cut a portait crop of the picture, position the horse and the man on the upper third of the photo and blurring the car. I wonder if it will show the disappearance more adequately.

Don't think any cropping will save the pic. If TS has a much closer shot, it would be better.

Too much of the white in the picture make the picture very uncomfortable to stare for long. Not all photo are suitable for BW, like in this photo you are trying to use BW to create a misty feel and fail.

I like the mood, but feels that it still can be improved. Regarding the distraction especially the car, from what I look, this is a street photography and sometime, such thing cannot be avoided. But I do feel that getting a little more closer is needed as having a such small subject in the whole frame isn't good. The leading line created by the road isn't enough to bring out attention to your subject.

I think the lane / lines lead us straight to the man / horse which is a good thing. The first thing that struck me in the photo was the two leading off, rather than the distractions, which is a good thing.
However i do agree that maybe the photo could have been taking maybe further in front, near where the fence on the right ends? from far away doesn't really give the disappearing mood, cause somehow it looks like they are both just standing still. (maybe if nearer can see more clearly if they are walking etc)

if only the car wasnt there. hahahaa. maybe it would be a fantastic shot.

I think the scene provides a great photography opportunity but its a pity that the TS did not get closer to the subject before making the shot. Its a good idea to use the leading lines created by the path to lead viewers towards the subject but the subject in this case is just too small. Also, some suggestions for composition would be to allow the leading lines to end at the corners of the frame. Keep shooting and improving :)