~ Mamiya ~


Status
Not open for further replies.

Splutter

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
2,909
0
0
36
Gim Boon Tai
www.splutterphotography.com
#1
Fresh from the oven. Tried doing a camera product shot this afternoon. Realised how hard it is to control the specular highlights. Please comment and help me improve!!! :bsmilie:

 

solarii

New Member
Oct 20, 2005
1,354
0
0
Bt. Timah
#2
Image is too dark... the details of the camera are shrouded in shadow.
You need to increase you lighting. And since the camera is black, choose a light background, unless you can get sufficient lighting to illuminate your subject properly.
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#3
don't like the reflection (hotspots) on the front elements of the lens, should use softbox for both lights, or maybe the right light should use a very big tracing paper, so you will have nice highlights on the lens instead of hotspots.


You also lost some definition on the edges and some details.
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#4
solarii said:
Image is too dark... the details of the camera are shrouded in shadow.
You need to increase you lighting. And since the camera is black, choose a light background, unless you can get sufficient lighting to illuminate your subject properly.
exposure is correct, if increase lighting the camera will grey out.

dark backgroud is working fine here, but his background is not clean. have you not seen any black on black product shots?
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#8
Splutter said:
Catchlights, I had actually choose a snoot coz using the softbox lights up the entire tabletop too. Is there anyway to use the softbox and not light up unwanted areas?
it depend how you place the light, you also need lot of mirrors, white and black cards to get some details and block away unwanted hightlights.

As for background, you can use velvet cloth, dark glass, formica etc.


have you notice the shadow cast by the shutter cocking level?
 

Splutter

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
2,909
0
0
36
Gim Boon Tai
www.splutterphotography.com
#11
catchlights said:
it depend how you place the light, you also need lot of mirrors, white and black cards to get some details and block away unwanted hightlights.

As for background, you can use velvet cloth, dark glass, formica etc.


have you notice the shadow cast by the shutter cocking level?
Yes I did notice the shadow. Caused by the backlight that I used to light the lens barrell. I guess it's really something that requires a lot of patience and experimentaton to get right. I forgot my tripod today so I was rather pissed with myself already :bsmilie:
I actually tried both black velvet and black cloth, both still can see. As for black cards, I think the actual setup will require many clamps to hold them in place. I saw this jewelley setup that had 10s of mirrors held by clamps. I think I'll go mad if i do something like that, haha.
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#13
Splutter said:
Yes I did notice the shadow. Caused by the backlight that I used to light the lens barrell. I guess it's really something that requires a lot of patience and experimentaton to get right. I forgot my tripod today so I was rather pissed with myself already :bsmilie:
I actually tried both black velvet and black cloth, both still can see. As for black cards, I think the actual setup will require many clamps to hold them in place. I saw this jewelley setup that had 10s of mirrors held by clamps. I think I'll go mad if i do something like that, haha.
velvet will absorb lights, but you are lighting a black object, so will not have totally black on velvet. it is ok to use a black paper, but in your case here, the paper is not clean, have some light marks there.

As for the clamp, manfrotto have a double clips, just like a normal stationary clip but two clips attach together, is very good for holding small cards or mirrors.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom