Maldives

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcLeod

Jul 23, 2005
Singapore, West
Planning to take a holiday with my wife at Maldives.
We won't do any water sports etc just look see take it easy type during holiday.
as such how many days should be sufficient to see enough of Maldives?

Anyone tried Kandooma resort and can share their comments?

Planning to take a holiday with my wife at Maldives.
We won't do any water sports etc just look see take it easy type during holiday.
as such how many days should be sufficient to see enough of Maldives?

Anyone tried Kandooma resort and can share their comments?

Cool stuff bro. It's paradise on earth, and I think one must visit it at least once in their life time.

I had the chance to visit it in 2003 with my wife, but we stayed at Angsana instead of Kandooma, so I can't comment much on the latter. Maldives is not a cheap place to go for holidays, and unless you have the money to spare, a maximum of 4 days 3 nights (IMO) will be sufficient.

Some of the activities to try if you're not doing any water sports are: overnight fishing, visit their capital Male, stingray feeding, walk around the island, and of course photography!

Some photos to share here.

Hope you have an enjoyable trip with your wife, and don't forget to share with us your photos! :)

Cool stuff bro. It's paradise on earth, and I think one must visit it at least once in their life time.

I had the chance to visit it in 2003 with my wife, but we stayed at Angsana instead of Kandooma, so I can't comment much on the latter. Maldives is not a cheap place to go for holidays, and unless you have the money to spare, a maximum of 4 days 3 nights (IMO) will be sufficient.

Some of the activities to try if you're not doing any water sports are: overnight fishing, visit their capital Male, stingray feeding, walk around the island, and of course photography!

Some photos to share here.

Hope you have an enjoyable trip with your wife, and don't forget to share with us your photos! :)

Hi Virgo, thanks for the info. Indeed was doubting that if we don't dive/kayak, just look see cannot keep us excited for more than 3-4 days :)

Still checking the flights and things. Zuji';s site is a bit weird. The flight times vary from 6 hrs (SIA) to 15hrs (Sirlanka , 2 stops) and most arrive a tMaldives at late evening/just past midnight. Which airline did you take?

I'd say 2-3 nights max if you're not going atoll-hopping ...... been there 3 times over the last 15 years ..... mostly 1-2 week liveaboard fishing trips

You MUST have a love for chilling out by the pool all day, a good book to read and a love for watching sunsets and sunrises (snorkelling is fun) .... alcohol is also generally available only at resorts and not publicly

Male might keep you occupied but its a very small town.

Might be a little wet weather-wise around now through year end

If you're looking for more land-based activities, I would suggest a different destination like Sychelles ( a little more in air-fare but much more affordable on all other fronts) or Goa

best of luck !

Hi Virgo, thanks for the info. Indeed was doubting that if we don't dive/kayak, just look see cannot keep us excited for more than 3-4 days :)

Still checking the flights and things. Zuji';s site is a bit weird. The flight times vary from 6 hrs (SIA) to 15hrs (Sirlanka , 2 stops) and most arrive a tMaldives at late evening/just past midnight. Which airline did you take?

I took SQ the other time. They only offered 1 flight per day, and yes, the arrival time was quite weird, around mid night. That means we'll lost 1/2 day of hotel charges already. :eek: Else you may want to check other airlines to see if they have a better timing.

Even if you don't dive, try swimming and snockelling. It's a great scene down there. Try to bring a underwater camera if you can. Water there super clear. You'll be able to take a lot of nice photos with the fishes, including baby sharks. :)

The weird timing is because of the operation of sea planes around maldives during the day.

I book a hotel for one night at Male on arrival before flying off on the sea plane to my resort the next morning.
I was there for 2 weeks but it's never enough :bsmilie:

man...i miss maldives.

The weird timing is because of the operation of sea planes around maldives during the day.

I book a hotel for one night at Male on arrival before flying off on the sea plane to my resort the next morning.
I was there for 2 weeks but it's never enough :bsmilie:

man...i miss maldives.

Wow...2 weeks! :bigeyes:

It's never cheap in the Maldives. How much did you spend altogether on that trip? :sweat:

Wow...2 weeks! :bigeyes:

It's never cheap in the Maldives. How much did you spend altogether on that trip? :sweat:

Google for Komandoo and you will see the rate, I was there 2 years ago. They used to charge in US but now it's in Euro :sweat:

Depend how far your resort is from the airport, if it's nearby you can get there by speed boat if it's further out like Komandoo you need a seaplane :)

Google for Komandoo and you will see the rate, I was there 2 years ago. They used to charge in US but now it's in Euro :sweat:

Depend how far your resort is from the airport, if it's nearby you can get there by speed boat if it's further out like Komandoo you need a seaplane :)

Oh they have an option where you can add 6 days of unlimited dives for 860 Euros. Yikes! :sweat:

seaplane = $$$!

Interestingly, ClubMed is not much more expensive than these resorts. ANyone tried CM at Maldives?

Seems the resorts occupy an island each.

Does it mean I cannot visit the other islands except the main one (Male)?
if I can, what would be the cost of speedboat to commute between the islands?

Last edited:
Seems the resorts occupy an island each.

Does it mean I cannot visit the other islands except the main one (Male)?
if I can, what would be the cost of speedboat to commute between the islands?

It depends on resorts to resorts for island hopping, but it's not going to be cheap. They will bring you to some deserted islands and leave you there for a while before picking you up and proceed to the other. Check with your resort.

Of all the activities, I like overnight fishing the most. Can even collect your catch for morning breakfast. Sashimi! Yummy...;p

Nothing much to add as the guys already told u the situation. I also feel that you should stay at most 3-4 days... unless you do it like me, which is to stay in 2 different resorts. The thing about maldives is the resort itself plays a big part. What we did was we stayed in the water bungalow at Club Med for 3 nights, then to Banyan trees (Beachfront bungalow) for another 3 nights. The activities and views at the 2 resorts are quite different, the crowd are different so it's kinda like 2 different location eventhough both are just small island in Maldives.

As for island-hopping, i think not very feasible in Maldives as most islands are owned by the resorts and thus not open to guests. Also, it will likely be expensive to charter a speedboat for island hopping. In some cases, u need sea-plane, which is even more exp.

One last point, SQ "timed" their flight to arrive in Maldives late at night (think is 11pm Maldives time) and since most resorts charges like 500USD onwards a night, SQ actually has a share in the airport hotel, which charges "only" USD250 a night for a spartan chalet looking room that is 10 mins walk from the airport. Most cases, people will stay one night there to "save" on the accom as they may not have other choice if the resort they staying do not have night transfer due to schedule or safety reasons (esp sea-plane).

Nothing much to add as the guys already told u the situation. I also feel that you should stay at most 3-4 days... unless you do it like me, which is to stay in 2 different resorts. The thing about maldives is the resort itself plays a big part. What we did was we stayed in the water bungalow at Club Med for 3 nights, then to Banyan trees (Beachfront bungalow) for another 3 nights. The activities and views at the 2 resorts are quite different, the crowd are different so it's kinda like 2 different location eventhough both are just small island in Maldives.

As for island-hopping, i think not very feasible in Maldives as most islands are owned by the resorts and thus not open to guests. Also, it will likely be expensive to charter a speedboat for island hopping. In some cases, u need sea-plane, which is even more exp.

One last point, SQ "timed" their flight to arrive in Maldives late at night (think is 11pm Maldives time) and since most resorts charges like 500USD onwards a night, SQ actually has a share in the airport hotel, which charges "only" USD250 a night for a spartan chalet looking room that is 10 mins walk from the airport. Most cases, people will stay one night there to "save" on the accom as they may not have other choice if the resort they staying do not have night transfer due to schedule or safety reasons (esp sea-plane).

Some good information, thanks for sharing!

Having worked in the Maldives myself, I can confirm this is correct, I know the SQ country manager in Maldives personally :)

But SQ did not intentionally 'timed' their flight to arrive in Maldives late at night, it is more to accommodate other SQ flights connecting into the Maldives from Japan, UK etc... These flights land in Changi Airport in the evening and thus will have sufficient time to make the connecting flights into the Maldives.

I stayed in sheraton resorts . The room service can kill u. No, u have no where else to eat unless u leave the island.

Quite a boring place to be honest.

Well.. i am pretty sure that plays a part but i feel it's not the main reason.

I stayed in sheraton resorts . The room service can kill u. No, u have no where else to eat unless u leave the island.

Quite a boring place to be honest.
yup.. all hotels overcharged.. banyan tree charges US$10 for 500ml of water i think.. Hence, Club Med is really value for money... buffet and free wine/drinks :)

Thanks Nemesis & others for the detailed information.
Geez Maldives sounds like a money grabbing place.... USD10 for 500ml water..... madness.

Guess what!? The other weekend I brought my wife and daughter to Sentosa. My wife complained about the hot weather and commented if Maldives is as hot as that morning, she'd rather not go, and suddenly I realise (more like recall) she is not a outdoor person and definitely not a beach person. :dunno:

Ultimately the companion plays a big part to make the holiday enjoyable.
Maybe we have to go elsewhere after all the information search.

Status
Not open for further replies.