Malboro Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renaissance_myth

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
hello there,

1st few shots i ever did using macro mode with my new digital camera. any comments to make the picture better?

malboro640x480.jpg

Did you notice that the picture appears dark? This is because the picture is under exposed, in other words, too little light is allowed to reach the CCD sensor... Why is this so?

This is because the light sensor Or Light Meter in photography jargon is fooled. Most of the picture consist of white color... When a camera meters, basically, it looks at part of the picture and decide to make it grey(as in brightness, not colour image the camera looking at the subject in black and white)... 18% I believe... And give a shutter and aperture reading to achive that area as grey... Well, most camera now comes with advance metering system that reads the whole picture/frame and do some calculations and predictions before deciding on the aperture and shutter... But still they are fooled when large expense of the frame is white.

So what to do? Under this type of situation, and if you have an EVF or are using the LCD, up the exposure compendation (+0.3, +0.5, +0.7, +1... watever) until the picture looks right... then click. Or switch to manual mode and up the exposure by increasing the shutter speed (longer time, say from 1/125 to 1/60) or widening the aperture (say f5.6 to f4.5, a smaller number means a wider aperture) till the image looks right before clicking.... But if you are using an optical viewfinder or an SLR... you will have to do the corrections base on experience...

Minor under exposure can also be brighten up by adjusting the "levels" using PS or appropriate picture editing software.

No prob.... if there's any problem or question, just post it at newbie chat or general photography chat... the old birds and those who know the answers will gladly response.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.