Malaysian Customs confiscate SUGAR at Causeway

Status
Not open for further replies.
ernest_ted said:
do correct me if i am wrong.

many years ago, Malaysia govt has restriction put up of buying beyond certain qty of sugar, salt, rice, and oil by foreigners who bring them out of Malaysia.

yeah... that was when both Sg and M'sia have got $$$ crisis.

I don't think law changed since then... but enforcers choose to "re-enforce" them... IMHO the article is a little nit-picking.

anka said:
you guys missed out 1 more..

singaporean per person has to pay GST for goods bought from overseas. totally more than SGD$300 per person when travelling overseas. I got fined and had to pay GST when i bought a SB-800 overseas. AND got charged extra $250 for not declaring. so much for budget terminal.
hmm..how did you bring it in?

with the box loh.

ya.. but would you have thought that can get fine for it?

even clothings.. must remove all the tags and price tag.. they check also. if total is more than SGD$300 still get fine. they dont care what you buy.. as long as bought items add up more than SGD$300 tio liao.

Maybe they check pple with BIG shopping bags?
I go backpack many times, come back never get checked. Not even once. Even smile for them to stop me, but no one cares.

IIRC.. this sugar law isn't new.. many years back they restricted each car to buy only a limited amount of sugar ( i think it's 1 or 2 kg) but the enforcement was slackened over the years and everyone started buying again.

It became a forgotten law, i'm not sure if it was lifted at all. Now it's back.

The law back then didn't restrict sugar onyl, there was a list of other daily neccessities as well. I'm not sure if the law/rule is still around.

EDIT: oops.. ernest_ted already said the same thing..:embrass:

Laws are nv forgotten, only how strictly they are enforced.
Coming in with the SB800 in its original box is asking for the custom officer to tax u. If i was the custom officer, i see someone coming in with Gucci, Armani shopping bags and that person has no intention of declaring anything, of course i will be more than happy to ask the person over to do a very detailed check lah

Ren_Hao said:
Laws are nv forgotten, only how strictly they are enforced.
Coming in with the SB800 in its original box is asking for the custom officer to tax u. If i was the custom officer, i see someone coming in with Gucci, Armani shopping bags and that person has no intention of declaring anything, of course i will be more than happy to ask the person over to do a very detailed check lah

it's in my bag.. i didnt carry it in plastic bag.. they said dont play punk with us. we can tax you for your equipment IF you cannot produce the receipt right here right now..

and in my bag has got 2x D2x with 2x WT2, 7 lenses, 2xSB-800 and 1 laptop. at least $25k worth in there.

they scanned my bag and ask me if anything to declare. i said nope. no ciggy. and ask me to open..

then they said i am sure this is worth more than $300. you have receipt for them? I said nope. but they are local bought.
then they said then we have to tax you for the whole bag since no proof.

it's almost becoming like US customs.. need to bring local receipts with you.. else they dont care and will tax you regardless what you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.