MALAYSIA is starting a food fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruger

Dec 2, 2005
Tampines
KUALA LUMPUR - MALAYSIA is starting a food fight.

Laksa, nasi lemak, Hainanese chicken rice, chilli crab and bak kut teh are all Malaysian dishes, Tourism Minister Ng Yen Yen declared. On Wednesday, Datuk Seri Dr Ng accused other countries of 'hijacking' local dishes such as laksa and nasi lemak, and said it was high time that Malaysia claimed them as Malaysian. 'We cannot continue to let other countries hijack our food,' she said, without naming the countries. 'Chilli crab is Malaysian. Hainanese chicken rice is Malaysian. We have to lay claim to our food,' the minister said after she launched the Malaysia International Gourmet Festival. But some food critics disagreed, saying that it would not be possible for a country to claim ownership over the dishes. Malaysian celebrity chef Rohani Jelani said that food in general is not politically divided. As people move from one country to another, they also take with them the recipes of their favourite food. 'I think it is difficult to claim ownership or to say exactly what food originated from where. This is because there are no boundaries when it comes to food,' she told The Straits Times. Singapore food celebrity K.F. Seetoh agreed that it would be impossible for anyone to claim ownership over food, even if a certain dish is easily available at a certain place.

Read the full story in Friday's edition of The Straits Times.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/SE+Asia/Story/STIStory_431428.html.

Unless prior to launching a new dish (e.g. Nasi Sedap Lemak) the owner files a patent to claim royalty.

It's so called a Muslim country but they want to lay claims to non-halal food, joke of the year.

Hainanese Chicken Rice and Ba Kut Teh also can say is theirs, win already. Chinese are denied equal rights, but food they made are considered as Malaysia heritage, double win.

Recently, Truly Asia kena a lot of whacking from Indonesia for stealing their culture, and now they want to steal from other countries again.
Might as well say Singapore Sling belongs to Malaysia too, since we were part of Truly Asia once :bsmilie:

Sometimes when I'm fed up with our politicians, I will look at news of Malaysia's politicians to comfort myself. :)

Umno need to distract attention again lor..... :sweat:

These politicians are too free, nothing better to do than claiming this and that. Rather than doing that, I think she should devote more of her time to attracting more tourists to visit Malaysia.

Let her go and claim. There's no copyright laws when it comes to food. I'll just laugh her off as a clown. :bsmilie:

Mee Siam mai hum belongs to Singapore, don't you dare snatch that away from us!! :angry:

You eat mee siam with hum meh? :bsmilie:

I thought laksa? ;p

His referring to the Mr Brown joke on his music remix where by he remixed Black Eyed Peas song "My Humps" inserting the Chorus with a mistake made on a National Day speech.

Try googling "Mee Siam Hum Mr Brown". :bsmilie:

His referring to the Mr Brown joke on his music remix where by he remixed Black Eyed Peas song "My Humps" inserting the Chorus with a mistake made on a National Day speech.

Try googling "Mee Siam Hum Mr Brown". :bsmilie:

I see. Thanks for the clarification. We stand together on this food fight. Just mere nonsense.

The Malaysia minister never claim Ipoh Hor Fan as theirs!!! We got chance liao, faster we go and claim first!!

Ipoh Hor Fan is ours, cause my downstairs kopitaim got sell!! :devil:

They have nothing better to do? Tsk tsk...

Did they claim Roti Canai? If so we should claim Roti Prata... :p

First Indonesia declare war on Malaysia over a stolen cultural dance ......... now Malaysia might declare war on Singapore over nasi lemak and laksa

the good minister forgot to lay claim to a certain food making skill that is unique to Malaysian politics ..... namely

Sh*t Stirring :bsmilie:

Last edited:
they stole a lot of indonesia's culture..
now singapore's food also want to steal...
so good...

this is a classic example of

JIA BAH BO SAI PANG!

I malaysian also sian ah read my country minister joke like that... si beh no brain and shameless ;(

this Em Yienyien must be virgin old and nothing to think of. Stare at the food and thought of claiming.....

Status
Not open for further replies.