MALAYSIA is starting a food fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
simple layman stuff.....Tiger or Erdinger?

erm, one is a lager, the other is a wheat ale.

Many of your examples are wrong or inaccurate and/or designed to put down Singapore food. IMHO, many Singapore and Malaysian dishes have similar origins with some very localised variations. eg. laksa, nasi lemak, chicken rice, roti prata / canai.

the fact that you can name variations of regional BKT etc in itself shows that KL, Klang, Singapore, etc all can lay claim to BKT.

accordingly, to that extent, they are generally both entitled to claim these foods as their own. your cultural chauvinism in favour of Malaysia (which you claim to disavow) is therefore misguided.

now, whether Singapore local food has lost its flavour in the age of food courts, cooked by PRCs w/o a fuller understanding about the use of sambal and chili and belachan etc is an entirely different and separate point altogether.

erm, one is a lager, the other is a wheat ale.
> Precisely, they all belong to BEER. but which beer is nicer? same context, Both plates of chicken rice, which one is nicer?

Many of your examples are wrong or inaccurate and/or designed to put down Singapore food. IMHO, many Singapore and Malaysian dishes have similar origins with some very localised variations. eg. laksa, nasi lemak, chicken rice, roti prata / canai.

> please state which examples are wrong or inaccurate, which are designed to put down Singapore food? For one, please re-read my examples. I drew the similarities about Chicken rice and have not even mentioned anything about nasi lemak and roti prata/canai.....so please be specific and do not just give sweeping statements.

the fact that you can name variations of regional BKT etc in itself shows that KL, Klang, Singapore, etc all can lay claim to BKT.

> Please read my opinions on this particular food interest. Nobody mentioned anything about Singapore not being able to call it Singaporean styled BKT...in fact there's a packet herb sachet being sold under the "CLAYPOT" branding that HAS that as well as KLANG ones.....so did anybody say NO, Singapore cannot call that BKT Singaporean? heck...i eat BOTH kinds and i enjoy BOTH kinds but i noticed that Singaporean version is usually hot and peppery and whitish/clear......

accordingly, to that extent, they are generally both entitled to claim these foods as their own. your cultural chauvinism in favour of Malaysia (which you claim to disavow) is therefore misguided.

> Is this a personal attack? please state the exact statement that I've written that my "cultural chauvinism" is in favour of M'sia?

now, whether Singapore local food has lost its flavour in the age of food courts, cooked by PRCs w/o a fuller understanding about the use of sambal and chili and belachan etc is an entirely different and separate point altogether.

> my points of examples just demonstrated what u last wrote and u care to misinterprete all of it in its entirety. Now, if you've no real accurate experience nor accounts regards to how Singapore or M'sian food for that matter is being influenced....please do not just come in here to start blabbling.
Also, please re-read my various examples in greater depth so that you can understand the fine prints that BOTH sides do have their own uniqueness, strength and weakness, but if one is to blatantly/advertise signboards that includes that region, then it better be an ACCURATE representation of that particular item and not some MISINTERPRETATION! ......... in this case, Ipoh Hor Fun.

If M'sia decides to sell Bak Kwa in another style that states Singapore Bak Kwa but clearly NOT.......how do u think we will take it?
Many of us have also been in Melbourne/Australia where things like SINGAPORE NOODLES exist.......ask yourselves, do u guys even acknowledge that it is Singaporean? or its just some wild imagination of Aussies? For me, i told my colleagues that there's no such thing called Singapore noodles and even if it is yee mien, it is not done this way.

Moreover the whole topic is about how ridiculous M'sia minister can claim that Singapore food is M'sian heritage!!!! and i used some of the examples to highlight that despite the variations from the origins, there's no right for M'sia to claim that the Food is M'sian heritage.

:)

Last edited:
> please state which examples are wrong or inaccurate, which are designed to put down Singapore food? For one, please re-read my examples. I drew the similarities about Chicken rice and have not even mentioned anything about nasi lemak and roti prata/canai.....so please be specific and do not just give sweeping statements.

This is not meant to be a personal attack. What I perceived to be your cultural chauvinism stems from the phrasing of your posts, in particular

(a) the manner in which you have raised your examples, in the examples you have indirectly or implicitly
- slammed Singapore food or
- suggested it is inferior or
- suggested Malaysia food is superior

whilst at the same time professing that they are all unique etc, disclaimer notwithstanding.

eg: and for" this, M'sia is on the world map for having one of the best food (source: various food resources, books, etc). and Singapore is well known for being the one that started the "KOPITIAM" idea ... but for authenticity... "

(in any case, you need to also remember that before Singapore modernised, it had its fair share of authentic streetside food. Had Malaysia developed as fast, I dare say some of the local Malaysian foods would have gone the way of the dodo. Conversely if Singapore had developed slower, who knows, perhaps there will be more around to show for it)

(b) the examples you have used.

For example, instead of saying "there are different variations of chicken rice in Singapore and Malaysia (eg. Malacca) and all are entitled to call it their own heritage", you said

"The only thing that Singapore can claim the style of chicken rice is Singaporean, is the Garlic, ginger, chilli blend and to top it off with the dark soy sauce (which is sweetish)....so technically the sauce is singaporean while the chicken rice is..."

This statement suggests that Singapore can only lay claim to the sauce but not the chicken. To me, the reality is the other way round - Singapore-style chicken rice is a combination of the chicken, rice and sauce used. As much as say Malacca can lay claim to chicken rice balls together with their chicken, sauce.

Another example: "Char Kway Teow Singapore style was an interpretation of how Penang Char Kway Teow is..."

Why must Singapore char kuay teow be an interpretation of the Penang one? Why not that Penang has its interpretation of the SIngapore dish? Why not say they are all interpretations of the same fried kuay teow dish and each can stand in its own right? The fact remains you chose to put it the way you did

(and to be accurate, nobody calls it Singapore char kuay teow or Singapore BKT in Singapore because it is superfluous to use the word 'Singapore'. Just like how you do not order say Penang char kuay teow in Penang, or Philly cheesesteak in Philadelphia, or Thai fishcake in Thailand.)

The attacks on Ipoh Hor Fun, Ampang Yong Tau Foo as they are served in Singapore misses the point. I do not think anyone seriously thinks that they taste anything like the original, nor do the food courts that serve it proclaim it to be 'original'. Very often as in anywhere else in the world, it is a *******ised version. I have in mind, for example:

- 'Western' food (in reality, Hainanese cooks' interprepation of the same)
- pineapple chicken, chop suey in the US (in reality, American interpretations of greasy Chinese food)
- yes, Singapore noodles as served outside of Singapore

In any case, the fact that the words 'Ipoh', 'Ampang', as used in the names of the dishes, is a homage and sign of respect to the original.

nasi lemak and roti prata/canai - these are just more examples of foods which exist on both sides of the causeway, with their own regional differences.

(c) Also, the snide attacks on Singaporeans - quite apart from whether it is true, how is any of that relevant?

Your words: "eg since most Singaporeans really s**k up to angmohs" or "In France (where again most new age Singaporeans s**k up to "Michelins")"

> Also, please re-read my various examples in greater depth so that you can understand the fine prints that BOTH sides do have their own uniqueness, strength and weakness, but if one is to blatantly/advertise signboards that includes that region, then it better be an ACCURATE representation of that particular item and not some MISINTERPRETATION! ......... in this case, Ipoh Hor Fun.

I believe we are on the same page that 'BOTH sides do have their own uniqueness, strength and weakness". See my earlier post.

So yes, whilst I agree with some of your comments on how there are regional differences, I cannot agree with the way it has been presented.

Very often as in anywhere else in the world, it is a *******ised version.

i did not know the word b-a-s-t-a-r-d is also censored on this forum! :bsmilie:

i did not know the word b-a-s-t-a-r-d is also censored on this forum! :bsmilie:

Da bian in English also censored, so cannot say that the food tastes like **** :bsmilie:

T

(c) Also, the snide attacks on Singaporeans - quite apart from whether it is true, how is any of that relevant?

Your words: "eg since most Singaporeans really s**k up to angmohs" or "In France (where again most new age Singaporeans s**k up to "Michelins")"

So yes, whilst I agree with some of your comments on how there are regional differences, I cannot agree with the way it has been presented.

Yar lor, those 'take a swipe' remarks on Singaporeans are really not relevant to food at all. Totally unnecessary.

Anyway, Yong Tao Hu is a traditional Hakka dish, so only China can lay claims to its origin.

i think we should try creating dishes to call our own, that no one else will create.

for example, something like "singapore durian chicken beh sai".. i think no one else in the world has it yet. :angel:

p.s. if it is created, please pay me royalties when you earn big bucks. kthxbai!

People, no matter how we want to boycott their claims, we still have to go in and eat their food.:sweat:

We are, after all, Singaporeans with a hungrygowhere tongue.;p

Don't think so. I'm sure we can find good food just as good, if not better than, what they have there. I myself never go in for their food.

Status
Not open for further replies.