Malacca

rcheong1282

Jun 30, 2010
West
Hello all

Planning to drive to Malacca one weekend to spend 2D 1N with my family as it has been a long time since I have been there.

Appreciate all your recommendation on the things to see, visit & do there......& last but not least....places to take some nice shots....

:) Thanks in advance....
RC

There is a old thread about Malaysia, you may check some info there.

Meanwhile,
1. Jonker street for some night finger foods and night photos
2. Mini Malaysia, not bad, but need RM10 entrance iirc
3. Melaka river, seems they have change it to be more 'photogenic'
4. As usual, the old fortress gate, and the hill top
5. The much smaller "eye on Malaysia".

There is a old thread about Malaysia, you may check some info there.

Meanwhile,
1. Jonker street for some night finger foods and night photos
2. Mini Malaysia, not bad, but need RM10 entrance iirc
3. Melaka river, seems they have change it to be more 'photogenic'
4. As usual, the old fortress gate, and the hill top
5. The much smaller "eye on Malaysia".

Actually, all the attractions there are quite near to each other. It's almost like walking on foot in the central district i.e. Singapore River to Chinatown etc, and you will have no problem covering most of it within one day. I believe you can ask the hotel people for a map and recommendations. On my recent trip there, the gentlemen at hotel equatorial were very friendly at showing us how where to go.

And to add to the list,

1.Melaka River River Cruise (for RM10 only and about 45 mins long!)
2.The Peranakan Museum (Seems like a private museum near jonker street, but narrow window of opening hour, plan ahead!)
3.Maritime Museum (The Giant Replica Ship)

There are tonnes of museum there, but you prob will not be interested in them.

Hope this help. :)

Here is some of the stuffs i took for my trip: http://dinojin.com/?p=632

Great

I am also planning to stay over at The Equatorial Hotel, sorry to ask is it like "safe" to park Singapore Registered Car at the Hotel Car park during our stay?

Thanks for your tips...........

Great

I am also planning to stay over at The Equatorial Hotel, sorry to ask is it like "safe" to park Singapore Registered Car at the Hotel Car park during our stay?

Hotel EQ located at a strategic location. Walk around the old town area from and to EQ is very convenience.

Also, there is a Bukit China and at there is a temple (青云亭) iirc. This is slightly far from EQ, not possible by walk but driving is ok.

Great

It is safe wherever you are in Malaysia. Exercise the normal caution. Malaysia has more Mercedes, Ferrari, Lexus than Singapore. If you drive a continental car, you are very safe. Few people in Msia interested in them; other than BMW. Hotel E is 5*, expensive and very convenient to walk about. You don't even need to drive. Park your car, and walk. A much better way to enjoy Melaka. Above all, attempt to do "travel photography" instead of monuments only. The people, the countryside could be more exciting...

just to add to what some have written. i usually travel on foot in malacca as all the attractions are pretty close. if you stay at the l empress hotel, you will be much nearer to these attractions. ask for a room facing the sea, and get a high floor, but not too near the top as the water pressure may be low. maybe book online and state your preference. remember to visit the museum where you can read all bout the rich history so you will get a better idea when you visit the attractions such as the hang li po temple and well, and also bukit cina where she was initially buried. and don't forget the light and sound show. there are a number of museums in malacca. i have been to most of them. and take the riverboat ride. you will see some interesting things as well.

Thanks again all.....................................just driving a 3 year old Civic.........will also check out the empress hotel online... xie xie

Thanks again all.....................................just driving a 3 year old Civic.........will also check out the empress hotel online... xie xie

Would like to add on a few more places.
Place 1 and 2 are too far. You must drive.
Place 3 is quite a walking distance from Jonker Walk.
Place 4 is very near to Jonker Walk. You can go during day time.

1. Portugese Square (葡萄牙村)– sunset view + seafood dinner
From Jalan Parameswara (from hotel carpark exit, turn left and go straight all the way) – Jalan Ujong Pasir – turn right into Jalan Dalbuquerque – drive all the way in, you will enter a big carpark, Portugese Square on your right.

2. 三保山
Jalan Chan Koon Cheng (from hotel carpark exit, turn left and turn left again) – Jalan Temenggong - - Bukit Cina.

3. Jalan Bunga Raya (old shophouses) and Jalan Bendahara (old shophouses and Indian shops)

4. Harmony street – Chinese temple (青云亭), mosque and Indian temple.

And if you have not booked hotel, you can check Hotel Puri, which is just 3 mins walk to Jonker Walk. But it is very popular, always fully booked ;)

Hope these help a bit :)

Last edited:
As Vangogh53 pointed out it is safe to park your car at the hotel carpark, even along roadside parking...

Was there last weekend with a friend and we stayed at Courtyard@Hereen, close to Hotel Puri. Car park is actually some reserved car park lot behind the hotel, parked it there and didn't look at the car until we departed.

You could also stay at Jonker Boutique Hotel located in Jonker Walk itself. In case you choose this hotel, do ask for the back facing rooms as the noise might be unbearable on a weekend night.

One pointer though. You need to get a Touch 'n' Go card from the very first toll booth on the way out as tolls will now be exclusively paid by Touch 'n' Go card (similiar to EZlink card). Some booths do top ups while others do not. As a precautionary measure, plan to get one with at least RM50 stored value.

Enjoy your trip as much as we have (and we're going again!!!).

Last edited:
Lucky u tell me about the toll passes, have been donkey years since I drove up north.

Xie Xie eastmushu

I stayed in babahouse....guest house style...but got aircon and attach bathroom...
and best of all..its just behind jonker str...walk 3mins and u are in jonker str...at least nite time ur folks got place to go...

Don't forget to check the Masjid Silat Mosque at Pulua Melaka, especially during sunrise or sunset.

Will do that....BTW...deciding whether to stay at Equatorial or Mahkota ? any recommendation? looks like will be just me & wife, kids not interested to come along .....
;)

Will do that....BTW...deciding whether to stay at Equatorial or Mahkota ? any recommendation? looks like will be just me & wife, kids not interested to come along .....
;)

equatorial is nearer to all attractions. but mahkota is nearer to the beach. :)

OIC....the beach ....any good ....;)

OIC....the beach ....any good ....;)

What beach do you expect? You need to get further off, eg. Pantai Klebang to get a decent beach; not in the city lah. Driving is a breeze in Melaka. If unsure, get a GPS, and just lose yourself, and enjoy the greens and kampungs!