Malacca Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgbyte77

Mar 27, 2005
Singapore
Hey guys... I've never been to Malacca before so for that reason I wanna go there over the weekend just to have a photography/backpacking trip. Anyone familiar with the place and share some useful tips like camera-friendly spots and safety for me and my camera?

dawgbyte77 said:
Hey guys... I've never been to Malacca before so for that reason I wanna go there over the weekend just to have a photography/backpacking trip. Anyone familiar with the place and share some useful tips like camera-friendly spots and safety for me and my camera?

Melaka is quite a safe place for photographers. People are less camera shy too. Just relax and enjoy the trip! We are going there this weekend :)

sorry to hijack...but is it safe to carry your camera equipments and walk ard in places like Cameroon highands, KL, Port Dickson with a grp of 2 adults?

dawgbyte77 said:

Hi dawgbyte77

I was in Malacca back in February 2003 to do some photography and also to take in the sights because I like colonial heritage stuff. I went alone so it was easy to do things. I stayed at the Bay View Hotel which is within walking distance to Dutch Square. Did most of my photography at Dutch Square where you can see the Red Church and St Paul's Paul at the top of a knoll. Generally, I felt ok throughout. Didn't feel threatened in anyway even though I was walking around with my camera.

For makan, it was easy as I ate at the stalls and coffeeshops along the roads.

Hope this helps.

JediForce4ever said:
sorry to hijack...but is it safe to carry your camera equipments and walk ard in places like Cameroon highands, KL, Port Dickson with a grp of 2 adults?

Hi JediForce4ever

I was in KL sometime in March 2001 to do photography too. Went alone and was walking around there taking photographs. Again, never felt threatened in anyway. Went alone and stayed at a hotel near Jalan Bukit Bintang (Sorry, can't remember the hotel name) and I go around KL mainly on foot, even walking to KLCC and Petronas Tower from my hotel. Other place where I was doing photography included Merderka Square and the buildings surrounding the square. I did take the MRT-equivalent train in KL. Never feel threatened too.

For makan, just eat at any coffeeshop along the roads.

If you do ever visit over the weekend, please do not miss out the Old Malaccan Town. The 2 most important streets which you should walk from end to finish are Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock/ Heeren Street and Jonker Street/Jalan Hang Jebat.

The shophouses found along these 2 streets are amazing. If you like do check out a B&W series of shophouses I have recently compiled. It can be found here.

Gosu_John said:
If you do ever visit over the weekend, please do not miss out the Old Malaccan Town. The 2 most important streets which you should walk from end to finish are Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock/ Heeren Street and Jonker Street/Jalan Hang Jebat.

The shophouses found along these 2 streets are amazing. If you like do check out a B&W series of shophouses I have recently compiled. It can be found here.

Just visited your site. Nice pictures on the shophouses. How did you get to enter the shophouses to take the interior pictures?

Just came back from Malacca last month.
Jonker St is a must visit place with lots of artist stuff.
Life is peaceful & people are friendly.

Visit the new Zheng He Museum. It's just opposite the famous chicken rice.
But need to pay RM10/person admission fee with Tour guide bringing u around.
Some parts of the museum still under construction. Will be all ready by 2006.

Gosu_John said:

i'd highly recommand u to stay in mamosa hotel. a cozy, clean, and convenient 3 star hotel on bunga raya street. the room rate is about rm90 to 120 per night depend on what day you go. it is a steal even for malaysia like myself.

from there you could go to many interesting spots simply by walking around. and don't miss out my favorite 'pop piah' on the right corner of the hotel. i suppose this is the best starting point for anyone who has never visited malacca?

p.s. it is safe to wonder around with your camera alone. i've done it many times. but sometimes i find the street foods would stop me from taking pictures! beware;)

Thanks, guys... I'm planning to go this weekend too... more of like backpacking so gonna budget to death... hopefully I would go alone too (less distraction).

Will research all the tips here. :)

JediForce4ever said:

I've done Cameron Highlands, Penang, KL, Genting, Melaka with my gear, didn't meet with any problem so far. :bsmilie:

dawgbyte77 said:
Thanks, guys... I'm planning to go this weekend too... more of like backpacking so gonna budget to death... hopefully I would go alone too (less distraction).

Will research all the tips here. :)

PMed u my number, be sure to give me a call when u are there. :)

Gosu_John said:

You're photos are very good! :thumbsup:

icarus said:
PMed u my number, be sure to give me a call when u are there. :)

Thanks... seems like most places are a short distance within each other so there is high chance we might bump with each other. ;)

Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock/ Heeren Street

Hmm I know Tun Tan Cheng Lock's grandson :sweat:

Heeren is named after Heeren Street

lazyfiddler said:
Just visited your site. Nice pictures on the shophouses. How did you get to enter the shophouses to take the interior pictures?

Hello lazyfiddler, thank you. I was able to enter because I was part of the exchange program with the University of Malaya from NUS and we were studying and doing measured drawings of the 2 NUS owned shophouses along Heeren Street.

dawgbyte77 said:
You're photos are very good!

Thank you. Hope you have a great time exploring Malacca. :)

Hey!!! I'm from Malacca.. If u guys are coming to Malacca let me know... Maybe I can join u for some shoot around Malacca....

Anything let me know....:)

go to the crocodile farm, buy live chickens to feed, hold the chicken straight out onto the pond and watch the crocos jump up to grab them.. ermm.. watch ur arms too..

take a trishsaw ard at 20rm per hour

chicken rice ball..

Status
Not open for further replies.