making your own dry box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrust

Sep 25, 2004
googled for 10 mins and i couldn't find any links.

so.... how do you make your own dry box?

i'm planning to get a bottle of silica gel + an air tight box, just to store my camera + lens. any advice?

Works fine for me
if you need a hyrgometer you can buy a digital one for $30
if you want an electric drybox you can buy a dehumidifier which looks like a flourescent light tube and you can stick it in any cupboard and use it. of cos the cupboard won't be airtight..

There is black box that I believed is Dry Box with an analog hygrometer on top of it. It is about (w)20 x (l)26 x (h)22cm in size. Included silica gel and compartment inside.

If I am not wrong. Price is only $30. I saw it at photofinish outlet.

There is a bigger one, transparance box, have an analog hygrometer too (but not as sturdy as the black one), price only $20.

Regards,
Arto.

slaam said:
Works fine for me
if you need a hyrgometer you can buy a digital one for $30
if you want an electric drybox you can buy a dehumidifier which looks like a flourescent light tube and you can stick it in any cupboard and use it. of cos the cupboard won't be airtight..

Hi Slaam, any idea where to get those digital hyrometer & dehumidifier u mentioned?
My bossman dry box went "kapu" and i'm using it without electrical power and added silica gel to keep my stuff dry ...
Thanks....

hmm the digital hygrometer i saw before in carrefour suntec i believe .. otherwise you can try sim lim in one of those electrical shops it looks like a square thing with a LCD display..

the dehumidifier is abit more tricky. I think some hardware shops have. Confirm I see before one is a photodev shop called photobugs in Jurong East. Its quite well known
address is blk 253 jurong east st 24 01-217 S(600253) call 65633908 in advance to see they have or not before wasted trip

Err..

Before you get your hand dirty, you may want to check B&S for second hand 30 L DryBox for about $50. I saw some few weeks ago.

Regards,
Arto.

I was toying with an idea of making a Dry-cabinet into my display cabinet. It will serve 2 purposes, keepint the equipments dry and also acts as a display of my gears. Anyone know where to buy the dehumidifier and hydrometer?

slaam said:
hmm the digital hygrometer i saw before in carrefour suntec i believe .. otherwise you can try sim lim in one of those electrical shops it looks like a square thing with a LCD display..

the dehumidifier is abit more tricky. I think some hardware shops have. Confirm I see before one is a photodev shop called photobugs in Jurong East. Its quite well known
address is blk 253 jurong east st 24 01-217 S(600253) call 65633908 in advance to see they have or not before wasted trip

Thanks Slaam,
Guess will have to walk walk around to see if i can still find them in Carrefour.

De'Switch said:
I was toying with an idea of making a Dry-cabinet into my display cabinet. It will serve 2 purposes, keepint the equipments dry and also acts as a display of my gears. Anyone know where to buy the dehumidifier and hydrometer?

Hi De'Swtch,
Google around SGP website and found a forum talk about getting a hygrometer from HomeDIY @ S$33.
You can check this forum here

guitar4christ forum

Hiee..

My first dry box is actually a plastic lidded container that is air tight. Used Silica Jel.
No need for all the buzz and fuzz of hygrometers....:dunno:

rgds,
sulhan

antitrust said:

i'm planning to get a bottle of silica gel + an air tight box, just to store my camera + lens. any advice?

works fine

no worries

antitrust said:
googled for 10 mins and i couldn't find any links.

Very easy, and as you mentioned...an air tight box, the door,plastic/prospect type(see through) you can use refrigerator rubber seal. Drill a hole at the back of air tight box and fit a socket for a small bulb which emits small amount of heat, use blue tack to seal the hole which has clearance when you fit the socket for bulb. As long as the bulb gives out small amount of heat, the box will be dry. You can double up with selica gel.The hygrometer,you can get it from Ruby Photo.
When I was in school, in the lab, they stored all the microscopes lenses in the bell jar, with a lighted bulb,very heavy, this keeps the moisture out.

If you do not want a DIY dry box, then just pay some money and buy a good one.

jamesong said:
Very easy, and as you mentioned...an air tight box, the door,plastic/prospect type(see through) you can use refrigerator rubber seal. Drill a hole at the back of air tight box and fit a socket for a small bulb which emits small amount of heat, use blue tack to seal the hole which has clearance when you fit the socket for bulb. As long as the bulb gives out small amount of heat, the box will be dry. You can double up with selica gel.The hygrometer,you can get it from Ruby Photo.
When I was in school, in the lab, they stored all the microscopes lenses in the bell jar, with a lighted bulb,very heavy, this keeps the moisture out.

If you do not want a DIY dry box, then just pay some money and buy a good one.
I hear this bulb trick few years ago. While I can't confirm, some say it cause fog on the lens.

Is that true?

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.