making shot for catalogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

b18

Nov 8, 2002
Kangaroo land
www.estphoto.com
just wondering how do you make those shots for a catalogue ? esp for vintage time pieces or writing instruments ?

sure they have scratches , but how do you make it less obvious.
here is a few snap2 I took , hopefully the sifu here can guide me to the right path. :dunno: thx.

Setup : D1H + 60 micro with BW Soft focus 1 filter, Sell it on the net light tent , 4 flash : 1 left out , 1 right out , 1 rear in , 1 mounted on hot shoe and diffused twice using a Stofen + sail cloth.

cs-sel_chr_2t-03.jpg

cs-sel_chr_2t-04.jpg

cs-sel_chr_2t-05.jpg

just a note, when taking shots of timepieces, make sure the time points somewhere around 10hrs 10mins for aesthetics.

Waffle said:
just a note, when taking shots of timepieces, make sure the time points somewhere around 10hrs 10mins for aesthetics.

Noted. As the watch is an auto ones, it moves after I set it to 10:10 :(

dragos said:
unscrew the crown lor...then it will stick at 10.10.

then the crown will stick out .. a bit odd I think ?
maybe I just wait til it stops moving next time :)

thx.

Place pieces of black card around it to reflect black into the product. Right now it looks too pretty to be a man's watch.

Frankly all three doesn't work for me... (no offence ya?) 1st one, maybe.. but the reflection on the glass is distracting. Maybe you can try the following:

Add something which complements the watch for extra flavour, know the watch you are taking, say, vintage military watch, put a toy soldier or tank beside it (blurr it if necessary) and focus on the watch, you will be surprised by the result.

Try using polarising filter to cut the reflection from the glass (front of the watch), should work, though I never seems to have that problem by adjusting a little at my end.

Never take the watch head on, looks aweful, unless you want it to look like casio catalog (no offence on casio but it works for them since they are just showing the 1000s of models that they have manufactured)

If you have sufficient lighting point, try to do it outside the lighting tent. Frankly, I don't find lighting tent working particularly well with branded or vintage watches... Try using acrylic sheets instead.

Lastly, adjust the angle of the lights hitting on the watch, you will notice at certain angles, the scratches are less prominent, to make it invisible and yet nice, almost impossible, unless you PSed it.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.