Making cutouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia Lorca

Apr 15, 2005
I'm wandering what the best technique for producing cutouts is? Pen tool, Extract Filter or a plugin like Fluid Mask?

I somewhat agree with satan_18349.
Pen tool is a very good tool to make cut outs.
Try to spend some time with the Pen tool's curves, and it will save you a lot time in the long run.

But alternatively, I also prefer to use Layer Masks for cutouts.
It gives more complex level, and better control over the cut outs.

As for me, I dont really like the Extract filter.
Not my kind of thing.

Good luck with your cut outs!
Cheers!

I take it you don't recommend using plugins then. I just though Fluid Mask might make the job easier.

Finally found the time to download the plugin and take it for a test drive. It's available as a free trial from http://www.vertustech.com/fm_freetrial.htm for anyone else you might be interested.

I know many people are wary of plugins for this kind of thing but from my few days of testing the results were pretty impressive. There's even a Pen Tool for adjusting your masks bit by bit if you need to, but the software does a fine job of finding the edges of objects all by itself with very little work on your part. The delete mask function is particularly impressive at removing unwanted areas in just a few clicks without the need to create complex paths and multiple selections.

So, if you're up against a deadline and need to make lots of cutouts simply and easily then this plugin is definitely one for the toolbox.

Looks good, but it is 400 EUROS!!!

Garcia Lorca said:
Finally found the time to download the plugin and take it for a test drive. It's available as a free trial from http://www.vertustech.com/fm_freetrial.htm for anyone else you might be interested.

I know many people are wary of plugins for this kind of thing but from my few days of testing the results were pretty impressive. There's even a Pen Tool for adjusting your masks bit by bit if you need to, but the software does a fine job of finding the edges of objects all by itself with very little work on your part. The delete mask function is particularly impressive at removing unwanted areas in just a few clicks without the need to create complex paths and multiple selections.

So, if you're up against a deadline and need to make lots of cutouts simply and easily then this plugin is definitely one for the toolbox.

vince123123 said:
Looks good, but it is 400 EUROS!!!

It looks like Vertus have cut their prices to 249 euros plus the free upgrades have been increased from 6 months to 12 months.

I wander if this means we're going to see the PC version shortly?

Garcia Lorca said:
I wander if this means we're going to see the PC version shortly?

Looks like they've finally got round to releasing that version for Windows. They promised it last summer, and I suppose it took them a little longer to complete than expected. Worth the wait though if you're a PC user.

Status
Not open for further replies.