Make-up-Pay for reservists

bylim

Sep 2, 2009
I have a question about compensation for reservists. A normal MUP claim is only based on your number of working days with your company. So if I am going to reservist from 14/1/11 to 28/1/11 and my company is on a 5 day workweek, my MUP claim to SAF would be:

net pay/21*11

that would work out fine if our ICT training schedule was based on a 5 day work week. However, our schedule is a 6day workweek, with only Sundays off. Shouldn't SAF also compensate us for service pay on Sat?

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/mindef_websites/topics/nsmen/admin/PayMatters.html

I quote this paragraph from NS.SG

"Service Pay

National Service is a duty to the Nation. NSmen are given service pay for each day of NS Training, including Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. While this cannot fully compensate our NSmen for their commitment and contribution towards NS, service pay serves to recognise each day of contribution made by NSmen."

My ICT is coming up and the training schedule is 6 day workweek, and I've been wondering about this Sat compensation. I went back to check last year's MUP and realised that there was no service pay made to me. Do I have a case? I'm from 2PDF btw. How about you guys? How are your high key ICT training schedule like? Are your Saturdays burnt too without being compensated?

note: given my rank, the service pay for 2 saturdays is actually quite insignificant, but this is a question about integrity :p Bottomline is SAF cannot and should not shortchange us.

Your claim is base on your working day missing @ work and not during army reservist.

Claim $ is calculate base on
number of working hrs per week = x e.g 44hrs
number of weeks per year = 44x52 = 2288hrs

14/1/2011 to 28/1/2011 = 11 working days = 2 weeks + 1 day = 2*44 + 9 = 97 hrs

your claim will be (your salary*12)*97/2288

SAF shouldn't only pay you for your missing hrs at work. 1 example that illustrates this is RT. SAF pays half a day service pay when IPPT failures go for RT sessions.

Claims is also not calculated on the hourly basis that you provided, but based on the number of working days of that particular mth that you are called up. This is documented in their website too.

i think you're confusing MUP with service pay. MUP for the missing work days based on fulltime job salary, service based on the actual time in SAF, based on rank/vocation. You should get service pay for Saturday, but not MUP. RT is service pay, not MUP.

wah, younger generation so calculative over such small money.

defence of your country in principle requires you to give your LIFE if the occasion calls for it.

what's the fuss over Saturday pay?

ricohflex said:
wah, younger generation so calculative over such small money.

defence of your country in principle requires you to give your LIFE if the occasion calls for it.

what's the fuss over Saturday pay?

It may not make a diff to some, but it may make a big diff to others :)

Pardon me askin this...

Has anyone knw any abt our cpf contribution during reservice..?

Does company still contribute n our mup consist of cpf contribute or not?

ahlionel - CPF contribution is as per normal. Your company absorbs all CPF payments as per usual.

ricohflex - this isn't about the money but the time. I'm fine if it's a 3 week callup, but don't take our weekends away from our family. As mentioned, service pay is minute and doesn't amount to much. Some background to this. Our high key trainings used to be 3 weeks(for commanders) but on a 5.5 workweek, i believe at that time SAF as a whole was still on a 5.5day workweek at that time. However 2 yrs back they compressed our highkey ICTs into 2 weeks, and incorporate full day Sat trainings into the schedule. Now that SAF are on a 5day week, but NSmen serving a 6day week? Our active NS trainers who have to spend the sat with us will get a day off-in-lieu. NSmen gets nothing?

I don't think this 6 fullday workweek is consistent across all reservist units. Hence asking if any of you have reservist trainings that has full sat trainings as well.

Last edited:
If you are so worried that SAF shortchanged you, why don't you just give NS Portal a call or email to ask? Their call agent is quite prompt and friendly...I would think their information will be more reliable as compared to asking in a forum...

Anyway it could be that different units have different practices. During my last ICT, some of my friends have duties on a Sat and they were given an off day on Fri to compensate for it...

I not too sure about Sat pay, but I know my MUP include the average OTs I earned during the couple of months before my ICT.

Last edited: