Make any economic sense to buy lens in US?

earthborne

Dec 27, 2009
Hi folks,

Does it make any economic sense to buy lens (Nikon or other DSLR lens) in US?

pls share.

thx.

no it soesn't make economic sense at all. Because we should be helping the singapore economy, not the US economy

lens, shoes, laptops, phones, medicine, books ............ do your homework and maths pls.......and compare pricing vs time/effort spent ... then decide for yourself

$X price here in Singapore vs $Y price in the US......... just decide........there are NO other opinions in this worth discussing

ok guys, I'm going to US soon. Just wondering if it is worth shopping for lens for by D90.

As for shoes, clothes....US is fantastic if u go to the outlets...but for lens...I did some online shop and compared the price seems to be abit cheap than Sg. However I wonder if their lens carries a international warranty....

However I am impressed that some lens carries 5 year Nikon (USA) warranty....

ok guys, I'm going to US soon. Just wondering if it is worth shopping for lens for by D90.

As for shoes, clothes....US is fantastic if u go to the outlets...but for lens...I did some online shop and compared the price seems to be abit cheap than Sg. However I wonder if their lens carries a international warranty....

However I am impressed that some lens carries 5 year Nikon (USA) warranty....

I think B&H sells lenses with 1 year International warranty + 4 year extended Nikon USA warranty...means that for 1 year you get warranty anywhere u go, then the next 4 years u have to go back to USA if u wanna service...

But anyway any lens from Nikon (not sure about the other brands) come with one year international warranty, standard one. So you're safe if u buy from B&H. Not very sure how Adorama/Ritz/other stores handle their warranty, but if they get their lenses directly from Nikon, they will come with 1 year international warranty.

Imported/grey sets will have no international warranty i think. In fact Nikon warranty will be void if it's a grey set. However some stores will provide their own warranty, but I think not worth to send to US for repair.

Refurbished stuff will come with 90 day limited warranty, but I'm not very sure what that covers, and if it's international.

I think B&H sells lenses with 1 year International warranty + 4 year extended Nikon USA warranty...means that for 1 year you get warranty anywhere u go, then the next 4 years u have to go back to USA if u wanna service...

But anyway any lens from Nikon (not sure about the other brands) come with one year international warranty, standard one. So you're safe if u buy from B&H. Not very sure how Adorama/Ritz/other stores handle their warranty, but if they get their lenses directly from Nikon, they will come with 1 year international warranty.

Imported/grey sets will have no international warranty i think. In fact Nikon warranty will be void if it's a grey set. However some stores will provide their own warranty, but I think not worth to send to US for repair.

Refurbished stuff will come with 90 day limited warranty, but I'm not very sure what that covers, and if it's international.

thx for your info. exactly what I wanted to know.:)

if you buy at the store itself, i.e. store in NY and you buy it in NY, you have to pay tax. not a small percentage. but if you have it shipped out of NY into another state, it could be tax exempted

Recently I ordered a Speedlite & got it at about $100 cheaper despite shipping costs to S'pore. If you order say, from B&H, & have it shipped to your hotel, you can save quite a bit. B&H has instant rebate for selected items & free shipping within US for most. I'd say Yes, buy in US. :) Rgds

Hi folks,

Does it make any economic sense to buy lens (Nikon or other DSLR lens) in US?

pls share.

thx.

i dont understand. you can easily take the lens you want to buy from the US, work out the total price plus shipping and compare it against buying it from singapore (look up price list in forum).

factor in premium for damage due to shipping or postage lost and if the savings is substantial, then it would make economic sense.

in any case, if you had decided 3 months ago when the US dollar was weak it would have made alot more sense.

if you are going to the us, it would prob make more sense.

again use the same principle as i have described.

proteon made a point about tax which is true however this may be offset by shipping cost so you have to do the maths!