Majulah Singapura (Onwards Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigel84

Mar 22, 2007
www.flickr.com
I wanted to create a feel of, Singapore moving onwards. With great poise and stride. Have the fellow citizens following as well. To move as one, to gain the respect of all. To show that we are moving forwards. Took this picture with the above thought process. It consists of the tri service colours as well as the regimental colours of the respective units in Singapore. Which has the unity of all units as well as the respect for them is great. Military personnels are to salute them in the most solemn manner. And when the colours pass by the general public, all are requested to stand still... Thus bringing the great respect for it.

Majulah Singapura.
938264901_b22d6607bb.jpg

I personnally think that if the framing could be moved more towards the left by a wee bit, it would make an almost perfect picture. And the Backgrd if i'm able to catch it with more blur would be best. However i've no idea on how am I going to achieve that. As i'm already going down to F2 on my 85mm already. >.< Please CnC on how would i be able to great a better feel of it?

Can't see enough of the regimental colours...

You must have shot this from quite a distance away with your 85. One way to solve your problem would be to shoot from a closer range... or the other... a longer focal length. Think maybe 200~300mm at f/2.8

yea... I was shooting with quite a wide distance away from them. I didn't have the luxury of changing lenses >.< haha.. And the 200-300 2.8 was too heavy on my pockets... But i guess by having a wider pic might make a stronger statement to my pic.

Ty, djork. But i would like to know on how could i better bring it out to the masses?

And the Backgrd if i'm able to catch it with more blur would be best. However i've no idea on how am I going to achieve that. As i'm already going down to F2 on my 85mm already. >.< Please CnC on how would i be able to great a better feel of it?

The depth-of-field is a function of aperture size, focal length, and distance from subject (and size of sensor); with the same aperture and same focal length, the closer the object that you focus on, the smaller the depth-of-field (so the more the bokeh)--so for the same aperture size and focal length, the only way to get a background that is out-of-focus is to go nearer.

Or you can get a longer lens, and that would give you a narrower depth-of-field, though that also affects the composition.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Optical/Depth_of_Field_01.htm has more information about DoF.

But nice idea in the picture, if the wind were blowing and the flags were flying it would be even nicer :).

Or do you have any shots taken from the side rather than head on with more of the flag in the picture? Or maybe you can try cropping away the left of the picture to clean up the background--I think this picture might take some chopping off of a little of the flag bearer's arm on the left of the picture.

Yes in fact i do have the side pics... But all CMI.... and i move nearer i scared i block the scared path that leads the flag bearer to the parade square... Need to train up my guts... no guts to reali go upfront to them. Would do with the cropping away of that distracting arm. As stated, would i be correct to say i got to shoot nearer to the subjects to create a better bokeh for the pic?

Ty, djork. But i would like to know on how could i better bring it out to the masses?

though the contingent is important, it only represents a fraction of what singapore is. i couldn't really tell where they're taken from if you don't tell me, hence it is better suited to be within a series of photos, rather than a kind of statement by itself.

the chinook with the sg flag with the ctiy skyline as a backdrop seems to be a better feel of "singapore moving forward", cos that's something new for a change, as we're too used to the kallang stadium's backdrop, and IMO evokes more emotions than just glancing at the marching contingents.

Try to add some movement in yr pics...
what can be see here is state color. you may need to go landscape shot?

though the contingent is important, it only represents a fraction of what singapore is. i couldn't really tell where they're taken from if you don't tell me, hence it is better suited to be within a series of photos, rather than a kind of statement by itself.

the chinook with the sg flag with the ctiy skyline as a backdrop seems to be a better feel of "singapore moving forward", cos that's something new for a change, as we're too used to the kallang stadium's backdrop, and IMO evokes more emotions than just glancing at the marching contingents.

Djork would this make a better statement for Majulah Singapura?
752619749_4a646bb71d_o.jpg

However i thought this pic had lost its novelty... Due to many posting this pic on CS... Wanted to use a different perspective to bring out the same theme. >.< damn difficult...

Try to add some movement in yr pics...
what can be see here is state color. you may need to go landscape shot?

hmmm... Would definetly try to if i get the chance to shoot them again...

Status
Not open for further replies.