Major changes in land transport!

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
Transport minister announces major changes in land transport
By Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 18 January 2008 1248 hrs

SINGAPORE: Major changes are expected in land transport after a more than year-long review to improve the situation.

In the first three major announcements, Transport Minister Raymond Lim zoomed in on changes to the bus system, which serves two-thirds of all commuter trips today.

Speaking at the opening of the Land Transport Authority (LTA) gallery, he outlined the urgency of the problem, stressing that with trips poised to increase 60 per cent between now and 2020, the only option is to steer people towards using public transport more often.

For that to happen, Mr Lim said, not just the quantity, but also the quality of public transport would have to improve tremendously.

Currently, the system is fragmented between two operators - SBS and SMRT - which plan the routes based on commercial considerations and minimum service obligations.

So firstly, the LTA will take over the central planning of the bus network, with the commuters' ease of journey as the main focus.

Buses will also get more priority on the roads with more full-day bus lanes, and making it mandatory for cars to give way to buses at bus bays.

More integrated public transport hubs, like the ones at Toa Payoh, Sengkang and Ang Mo Kio, will be upgraded to make transfers easier. Five more will be upgraded and two more are already being upgraded.

And more travel information will be made available via panels, text messages and websites.

The second big change will be to introduce competition among operators, including opening the market to new players.

The island will be carved up into different regions and potential operators will bid for these in a competitive tender.

The third major change is for the LTA to keep its pulse on the community's transport issues through regular dialogue with grassroots members.

More changes, including those to the ERP system, are expected in the following weeks. - CNA/ac/vm

sounds like a broken record.. the same thing being played over and over again.. what happened to the "world-class" transport system where we will not need to take more than 45mins from any point in Singapore to another we were promised so long ago? To me, they are not really interested in providing a service to the public but to gear the system towards improving profits.

more bus lanes????

As a driver, I think it is REALLY STUPID as it just causes whatever road it is to JAM real bad.

I think they should allow people who car-pool to use the bus lanes. Example, 3 or more persons per car can drive in Bus lanes. This I think will be much more useful and it helps to reduce the number of cars on the roads.

more bus lanes????

As a driver, I think it is REALLY STUPID as it just causes whatever road it is to JAM real bad.

I think they should allow people who car-pool to use the bus lanes. Example, 3 or more persons per car can drive in Bus lanes. This I think will be much more useful and it helps to reduce the number of cars on the roads.
i think the bus lanes are fine though

put center-seats in the MRT.... more people can sit.... i never had a chance to sit down for 45mins everyday on my way to work... i reach my workplace tired :(

put center-seats in the MRT.... more people can sit.... i never had a chance to sit down for 45mins everyday on my way to work... i reach my workplace tired :(

Starting from the first station (like HBF, Boon Lay, Punggol) all seats are filled up in peak hours.

hmmm ... remove seats altogether? can squeeze in more ppl ... ;p

Transport minister announces major changes in land transport
By Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 18 January 2008 1248 hrs

Quote:
The second big change will be to introduce competition among operators, including opening the market to new players.

The island will be carved up into different regions and potential operators will bid for these in a competitive tender.

WHAT?!?!?!!?!?? And get another competition like the SMRT N/S,E/W line vs SBS NE line? Load of BULLS#!+!! That is called monopoly.. Not competition....

I think it is unlikely that they will allow 2 operators to get tender in each region.. After they get the tender, it's pure profit for them!!! I can't believe that such brainless remark is made by our world class transport minister.. It seems to come from someone in a 4th world country...

Lesson 101 : How to make people take up public transport.

1. Make fares cheaper (not "affordable")
2. Exempt ERP charges for taxis so that its more logical to take a cab to town rather than driving your own vehicle.
3. Make buses and trains more comfortable. (not just maximising capacity by removing more seats and let more people stand 45mins or more to their destinations)

If commuters do not have to bear the cost of any improvement to public transport than it is a worthy improvement..else we are better off keeping it the same..

WHAT?!?!?!!?!?? And get another competition like the SMRT N/S,E/W line vs SBS NE line? Load of BULLS#!+!! That is called monopoly.. Not competition....

I think it is unlikely that they will allow 2 operators to get tender in each region.. After they get the tender, it's pure profit for them!!! I can't believe that such brainless remark is made by our world class transport minister.. It seems to come from someone in a 4th world country...
4th world is still a world. the class in the 4th world is still world class. :bsmilie:

CTE!!!!

Please make the CTE 2-tier like the AYE (Keppel) so that the trafic jams are reduced. Ya ya.. its more expensive than putting up another ERP gantry.. but isn't this call public service???

If commuters do not have to bear the cost of any improvement to public transport than it is a worthy improvement..else we are better off keeping it the same..
what kind of improvements do we need? So we need more LCD panels? TV on buses? Those bus stage auto sensing equipment so the driver do not need to update the fare stage manually? Come on.. After large amounts of money are spent on these, they will raise the fares again and said "because we bought new buses to replace the older ones.." :rolleyes:

what kind of improvements do we need? So we need more LCD panels? TV on buses? Those bus stage auto sensing equipment so the driver do not need to update the fare stage manually? Come on.. After large amounts of money are spent on these, they will raise the fares again and said "because we bought new buses to replace the older ones.." :rolleyes:

yah..buying more "new" ones..and get to see them breakdown and stuck in bus bays..:bsmilie:

what happened to the "world-class" transport system where we will not need to take more than 45mins from any point in Singapore to another we were promised so long ago?

Bro yanyewkay, was this statement actually being announced? Hhhmmm, I wonder how it can be made possible? Jurong to Changi can make it in 45 mins. via public transport?

45min by mans of taxi lar, still public transport mah.

saw this coming, after the taxi saga.

i tink they want to gain control of the bus route is correct, but then by allowin bidding for the route, it is wrong, 2 or more bus company should be allowed for the same route, then we can choose, that is the meanin of openin up, what for tellin us that they are changin when there is actually no change in the result.

another thing is the change of route. lta should take over all existing routes and do not go and act smart to plan, the routes now is planned to allow bus company to earn, lets not deprive them of earnin a living. people in the office is different for people from the ground. i would even bring the whole system down which we would not even know , cos someone will always say, it is planned to be like this all the time...:bsmilie:

giv and take is the attitude, too much hav been taken frm us

Status
Not open for further replies.