Majestic Nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

windforce

Oct 14, 2007

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Framing, exposure, color balance. I know that the lamppost is really bright n overexposed and slanted. i dunno wad i can do for the brightness, ev -20? :dunno: however i feel that the slant on the post helps to direct focus to the tree.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To always be awed by how nature inspires us with their natural beauty

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Shot at midnight on tripod with f4 15s iso800 hyperfocused at 11mm on D300 + 11-16 tokina. HDR'ed with -2, 0, +2 ev. Slightly windy. Shockwaves from Chinatown's fireworks :bsmilie:

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/4462/hdr1f.jpg link to a larger version
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
yea i just feel that the lamppost is overexposed and the flare is distracting but it was in the midnight with mosquitoes and bugs all over me n it was my last shot of the night making things more unbearable;p i know its no excuse but i dont shoot for a living it shld be enjoyable ;)

Thanks for sharing.

As you have pointed out, the light (and the flare from it) is indeed distracting, and it does not fit in your "majestic nature" theme at all. When you shot this, did you make a conscious effort to exclude it? Did you try walking around to see what other angles might be even more suitable?

I would just focus on the tree, and I think the HDR is not necessary as the dynamic range is not wide enough to justify HDR PP.

Thanks for sharing.

As you have pointed out, the light (and the flare from it) is indeed distracting, and it does not fit in your "majestic nature" theme at all. When you shot this, did you make a conscious effort to exclude it? Did you try walking around to see what other angles might be even more suitable?

I would just focus on the tree, and I think the HDR is not necessary as the dynamic range is not wide enough to justify HDR PP.

i did try to exclude it but not entirely. ill try other angles next time or have a tighter crop. dunno y i didn't spot the flare when i reviewed it on the cam.

maybe not hdr, exposure blending suffice.

thanks for commenting!

My advice here is that if you know an object/distraction is unavoidable, you should plan to take it in an angle that it will be easy to remove in post processing. From what i see here the flare is very serious there is no way you couldnt see it in the viewfinder. I see that you have made use of hyperfocal sharpness, however in this image it doesnt benefit the photo at all infact it emphasizes the defects more than the composition.

Status
Not open for further replies.