Maintenance of old film SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLee

Nov 5, 2005
Hi all,
I've been contemplating whether to take my dad's very old SLR, which has been left around for years without any care or any usage.

I would like to know is there any part's in the camera that needs to be serviced before i can start using it. I've tried cleaning the mirror inside with some cleaning agent like alcohol, and the mirror is still not "mirror-like", will this affect the photo-taking as theoretically mirror does not interfere with the actual picture capturing.

Well, you have to consider some points:
1. Are you going to shoot film alot?
2. What model and hence whether is it really worth repairing.
3. Any sentimental value that might make it see through repairs.

I have a whole box full of old film cameras. Of which I see only the Nikon F and Nikon F3 as worth repairing, but since I dont use film, I just keep it in the dry cab. I only sent the great lenses for cleaning and restoration.

Hi all,
I've been contemplating whether to take my dad's very old SLR, which has been left around for years without any care or any usage.

I would like to know is there any part's in the camera that needs to be serviced before i can start using it. I've tried cleaning the mirror inside with some cleaning agent like alcohol, and the mirror is still not "mirror-like", will this affect the photo-taking as theoretically mirror does not interfere with the actual picture capturing.

Maybe, you would like to share with us on the make & model of the camera and the lenses that you have for this cam?

Hi all,

do not clean the mirror yourself, you may wipe off the silver or scratch it. or move the position of the mirror, causing mis focus.

state the make and model, if it is a low end model, just keep it as paper weight. not worth to spend money on it.

Please do NOT use any cleaning fluids like alcohol inside your film camera. I did it once about 6 year ago and this is what happened:
- The mirror got foggy (blur)
- The view finder started to have "condensation".
- The sponge around the mirror started "melting".
- Had to send it back to Canon for full replacement & cleaning of the shutter and mirror mech.

Save yourself the grief and send it in if you really want to keep it.

i could have sworn when i took my f5 out and fire a few shots...it sounded so much different as compared to when it's new.

paper weight?
man....its an expensive one.

Thank for all the advice, i guess it is not worth to send fr maintenance as that is an entry level canon eos300 if I'm not wrong with just the kit lens.

However, is it a good idea to use this camera as a learning ground and invest in some newer lenses? As of now, I more or less like Nikon line-up more than Canon's, is it possible I get some low end Nikon lens and connect through an adapter to mount on the body to shoot? Wait for some maturity in shooting skill, then only get a new DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.