Maintaining your DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

robchanyl

Aug 27, 2006
Spore
Recently got a 2nd hand DSLR - D70.

Wonder if anyone knows a good website that tells you step by step how to maintain your camera e.g. cleaning your lens, general purpose cleaning of body, what sort of cleaning kit to get for basic cleaning etc...

Your help very much appreciated. thanks!

Don't have to be so "religious" about it.

But in singapore's climate to keep your photographic equipment in a dehumidifying cabinet aka dry box when not in use.

Another good investment would be a blower-brush or blower like the giottos rocket pump to blow dust away.

Of course keep your equipment out of heavy rain when out in the field

Really, that's all there is to it.

Dun get all hung up about "dust on ccd" issues, it happens, all part n parcel of using an slr.
U could DIY clean that or send it to nikon for cleaning for approx $25

Recently got a 2nd hand DSLR - D70.

Wonder if anyone knows a good website that tells you step by step how to maintain your camera e.g. cleaning your lens, general purpose cleaning of body, what sort of cleaning kit to get for basic cleaning etc...

Your help very much appreciated. thanks!
Buy electric Dry-cabinet to keep your photography gear when not in use (and to keep other things like precious CD/DVD). Digi-Cabi is good and value brand.

When changing lens, avoid dusty place. Also keep using your dSLR will maintain its mechanic inside. Avoid to clean the mirror or viewfinder matte inside camera if you never do it before.

Buy original battery only, avoid 3rd party battery.

Regards,
Arto.

Thanks for all your advice. I was thinking of getting a cleaning kit already, guess you can get that at the photo shops. I already noticed some dust at the filter and on outside of lens - dunno if that is caused by the haze....

Not sure about the dry cabinet though. I thought if you are using camera constantly, not necessary to keep in dry cabinet. I went to Carrefour the other day to look at dry cabinet and was shocked at the big size. I also saw small ones which did not have a power source attached to it. Wonder if that works. Thinking that probably will get a dry cabinet when shooting less.

make sure you get the right blower.

Some of them do emit/cough out dusts from inside and these will be forcefully blown onto your lens,VF, mirror, sensor when you use it.

Always blow on a piece of glass to make sure that its safe then go ahead with the blowing.

Yes, if you use your camers oftenly, you do not need a dry box.But do not forget the times when you are too busy to use the camera..it will be left to become a mould farm.
:)

meanwhile, you could use a biscut tin with silica gel.But do not put too much silica gel in or it will be too dry.

Drycabinets are also useful when you wanna dehumidify/dry your camera after a shoot out in the rain.

Thanks for all your advice. I was thinking of getting a cleaning kit already, guess you can get that at the photo shops. I already noticed some dust at the filter and on outside of lens - dunno if that is caused by the haze....

Not sure about the dry cabinet though. I thought if you are using camera constantly, not necessary to keep in dry cabinet. I went to Carrefour the other day to look at dry cabinet and was shocked at the big size. I also saw small ones which did not have a power source attached to it. Wonder if that works. Thinking that probably will get a dry cabinet when shooting less.
Or alternatively to Dry-Cab, turn on aircond 24/7 in your room :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

meanwhile, you could use a biscut tin with silica gel.But do not put too much silica gel in or it will be too dry.

Drycabinets are also useful when you wanna dehumidify/dry your camera after a shoot out in the rain.
Be advised, silica gel contain Cobalt Chloride for blue humidity indicator, which is known as carcinogen. Better safe than sorry. Buy Dry-Cab for peace of mind.

Regards,
Arto.

If you are going to spend so much on a DSLR and lens, do not hold back on the dry cabinet. In time to come, you will have more lens to buy and the dry cabinet becomes a necessity. And do not buy a small cabinet because I bet you will have to upgrade to something bigger later. Many of my friends including myself regretted starting off with something too small .... but of course, dun buy those that looks like your fridge ...:bsmilie:

Welcome to the club ;)

a dry box $ is nth compare to ur bodies and lens, go get 1!! the power consume per month is only a few cents.

Don't wait to buy the dry cabinet, its essential, especially in our humid environment.

As to general cleaning, the blower (without brush) is ok for general purpose cleaning of lens and filters. Use the brush attachment to clean excess dust from the body and use a dry microfibre cloth (I use the 3M microfibre :lovegrin:) to clean off the body oils from the body. Just do this after every shoot before storing in your dry cabinet.

Cheers

Kelvin

Thanks to all you pros out there for the advice. Looks like a dry cabinet is a must.

most important of all, it can be used even if you no longer shoots DSLR or even if you quit photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.