Mahler 2nd, Resurrection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahler

Jan 16, 2003
Tanah Merah
Just some thoughts to share with any classical music enthusiasts.
Went to the Mahler 2nd concert tonight played by our SSO.
Didn't have much to expect walking into Esplanade, but as soon as I saw 7 double bases, 6 E-flat trumpets, 6 horns, 5 trombones and 2 sets of kettle drums, I knew I was into something good. Brass was really strong, almost over-powering the strings. Maybe due to where I was seated, I can't seem to be able to hear the orchestra as a whole. But there were 4 curtain calls, quite unusual for SSO. Thank God our cell phones were jammed (unless there's a replay of Moscow hostage), but there were still inconsiderate concert goers having their watch alarm going off, coming late resulting in extra long 1st movement to 2nd movement interval (although Mahler specifically threw in 5 minutes of silence to accommodate the transition of the powerful Allegro maestroso to the lively Andante). There were adults wearing T-shirts and jeans, and boys in Ts and shorts. Is that tolerable? Anyway, the attached picture holds no value and is quite illegal. Overall, it was an enjoyable concert, and I would say Lan Shui can do Mahler. But nothing compared to the Mahler 3rd concert I went to, Abbado conducting BPO.

I used to think that they jammed cell phones but the last time I was at Esplanade I managed to get reception in the concert hall itself.

Very difficult for people like me to go esplanade... wait people cannot find me charge me AWOL then I die. And I always put my phone to silent..... unless I accidentally forget while rushing in.

And I hate those people who pretend their phones are not ringing and refuse to answer them.....

Were you seated around the circle 2 seats on the right? btw, seems like you can only get handphone reception at certain spots in the concert hall.

If it's not too troublesome, could you type out the personnel list for the trumpet section here? Thanks!

Originally posted by habsburg
Were you seated around the circle 2 seats on the right? btw, seems like you can only get handphone reception at certain spots in the concert hall.

If it's me you are referring to... I could get reception at the front stall seats.

Yes habsburg, you can tell from the picture that I'm up infront
on the 3rd floor. Quite uncomfortable having to lean on the railings, view is good, sound is bad over there. Well, I don't care much about my phone, just glad that it doesn't work for inconsiderate people who doesn't put it on silent mode.

Originally posted by Minimalis
If it's not too troublesome, could you type out the personnel list for the trumpet section here? Thanks!

Hi Minimalis,

almost all imported. Even the principal is a freelance, what a shame.

Smith, Robert (Principal)
Natzke, Scott
Ikebe, Jun
Marchetti, Sara
Pulford, Isaac
Sugiki, Kaoru
Sugiki, Jun-ichiro
Yap Thien Soo

I used to know Kenneth Olsen and Chen JiaMing, but they
were long gone.

Oh yes pity.. only one local. But well...that's the way things have been all the while ya? Robert Smith and Jun Ikebe are avid photographers too... both Nikon users..

You play trumpet?

Originally posted by mahler
Hi Minimalis,

almost all imported. Even the principal is a freelance, what a shame.

Smith, Robert (Principal)
Natzke, Scott
Ikebe, Jun
Marchetti, Sara
Pulford, Isaac
Sugiki, Kaoru
Sugiki, Jun-ichiro
Yap Thien Soo

I used to know Kenneth Olsen and Chen JiaMing, but they
were long gone.

Originally posted by Minimalis
Oh yes pity.. only one local. But well...that's the way things have been all the while ya? Robert Smith and Jun Ikebe are avid photographers too... both Nikon users..

You play trumpet?

Oh yeah? Wonder if they do private lessons.
Yes, but my armature really weak now. My trumpets
collecting dust.
Victoria School class of 89.
Yourself?

Originally posted by Pain
And whats wrong with t-shirts?

Oh nothing. Afraid that it'll get a lil nippy for them. ;p

btw, how much are tickets for those seats? Can you see the stage without leaning forward? I noticed that almost everyone there was doing that.

Someone in the row behind me insisted on making comments (loudly) during quiet sections of the concert.. argh

Yes habsburg, you can tell from the picture that I'm up infront
on the 3rd floor. Quite uncomfortable having to lean on the railings, view is good, sound is bad over there. Well, I don't care much about my phone, just glad that it doesn't work for inconsiderate people who doesn't put it on silent mode.

btw, how much are tickets for those seats? Can you see the stage without leaning forward? I noticed that almost everyone there was doing that.

Someone in the row behind me insisted on making comments (loudly) during quiet sections of the concert.. argh

I got the cheapest tickets, and you can only see part of the stage without leaning forward. Plus there are spotlights attached to the side that will block your view. The floor below where I was is probably better.

I got the cheapest tickets, and you can only see part of the stage without leaning forward. Plus there are spotlights attached to the side that will block your view. The floor below where I was is probably better.

Circle 2, front row centre. Excellent. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Circle 2, front row centre. Excellent. :)

Regards
CK

Heheh... you're right CK.
The organ is much better than the one
at VCH. Don't mind going for the next
organ concert.

organ concert.

Mahler's Resurrection has got organ?

Anyway, thinking of going for Saint-Saen's Symphony #3 ("Organ") in C Minor sometime in May. I have the CD and it's a very spectacular work - symphony orchestra, 2 pianos, 1 organ. Would love to hear it live. :)

Regards
CK

Oh, the next organ recital at the Esplanade will be on April 6 Sunday 3pm... free admission. My teacher will be playing... :)

organ concert.

Ya, there was a very minor role for the organ. Only a few chords at the very end. btw, the console was "parked" on the extreme left side of the stage...

Anyway, thinking of going for Saint-Saen's Symphony #3 ("Organ") in C Minor sometime in May. I have the CD and it's a very spectacular work - symphony orchestra, 2 pianos, 1 organ. Would love to hear it live. :)

Regards
CK

Regards
CK

Have.... Mahler threw in every instrument he can find
towards the end.
Can check on the date CK? We'll go!

Oh, the next organ recital at the Esplanade will be on April 6 Sunday 3pm... free admission. My teacher will be playing... :)

Cool! Free one must go!

FYI the Saint-Saens organ symphony concert will be held on May 23 7:30pm Friday...

Have.... Mahler threw in every instrument he can find
towards the end.
Can check on the date CK? We'll go!

Status
Not open for further replies.