Mahjong question

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KingKongChar

Mahjong Kings,

What is the diff between Taiwanese, Hongkong and local Mahjong? I am a beginner. Is there a local forum (like this one) on Mahjong hehe :D ? Want to discuss Mahjong tactics with other mahjong kings...:)

Ha mahjong qns. For what I know:
Hong Kong mahjong has only 144 tiles, no extras, and they play very fast, sometimes they game even before you are ready.
Singapore mahjong has 144 tiles plus the 8 animals, you collect more animals then you win more $.
Taiwan mahjong has 144 tiles plus 4 jokers, the joker tile will make or break a game.

Like photography, you need to practise more on mahjong to master the skill, but I am not encourgaing anyone to play mahjong here. Better spend your time on photography. Its a lot more fun.

Mahjong has been proven to slow down the onset of dementia in the elderly, anyone heard this before?

OIC, what about the counting of points should similar I presume?
So all the while I am playing the HK style using no extra tiles. Sounds like local mahjong follows the international MJ rules.

Thanks for your advice, had spent too much time on Photography and need an alternative hobby to balance it :D. Somehow, playing mahjong helps. :gbounce:

Originally posted by Meanie
Mahjong has been proven to slow down the onset of dementia in the elderly, anyone heard this before?

Yup! Heard that one too from TV news.

There are many styles of mahjong played here too.

The one which i normally play once a year (during Chinese New Year) is minimum 5 fan and all cards are closed (facing down). Very memory intensive game. but challenging.

Each game can make or break a 70-200 F2.8 IS lens price.

Also saw it at some old folks home here using it as a mind game for dementia.

Again,don't really recommend anyone to play mahjong seriously as it can be a gambling addict rather than a mind improvement game.

Photography allows one to go back to nature and be creative. Plus more rewarding.

Thanks for the links! So you must be one of the Mahjong king? :D

Originally posted by dennislim
mahjong rules can be found here ..
http://www.geocities.com/mahjong_0001/mahjong/main.htm

and .. if u are interested to play online .. there is an online community http://www.tumj.com

previously from s-one but then they stopped so they are now starting their own online mj ... its free =)

I dun seldom play with money, even if so, only a bit enuff to buy sweets. Play it more as a past time and not gambling. ;)

Originally posted by Harlequin
There are many styles of mahjong played here too.

The one which i normally play once a year (during Chinese New Year) is minimum 5 fan and all cards are closed (facing down). Very memory intensive game. but challenging.

Each game can make or break a 70-200 F2.8 IS lens price.

Also saw it at some old folks home here using it as a mind game for dementia.

Again,don't really recommend anyone to play mahjong seriously as it can be a gambling addict rather than a mind improvement game.

Photography allows one to go back to nature and be creative. Plus more rewarding.

Those in the link are not the HK style. The number of tiles is 16 for HK mahjong. They are played much faster. Usually for good novice you can complete 4 winds in 2 hrs and "tai tai" (read expert) class in 1 to 1.5 hr. The counting rules are a bit flexible depending on seriousness of game and who u play with. The cost of a game range widely depending on your group affordability and purpose. Can range for cost of a filter to cost of Hasselblad system. Of course there is the other class of millions. Actually this HK style is a misnomer as I was told by a HK expert (read tai tai) that it orignated from Taiwan and HK switch from the 13 tiles to this 16 tiles becos mainly of its speed and flexibility in counting.

Wow never knew CS got mahjong freaks too... next time I organise mahjong outing for CS!!! :D

Originally posted by chyeo
Wow never knew CS got mahjong freaks too... next time I organise mahjong outing for CS!!! :D

then hor ... i make sure i have 13 ones, 4 winds or ta san yuan lolz ...

then all pay until siao =P

hmmm we all play $100 / $200 per tai ? =P ;p :D

Originally posted by SniperD
aiyah... $100, $200 per tai.....

let's play for lenses.... hee hee.... tthen the ultimate - 13 odds = 1 x Canon 1Ds

:devil: :bsmilie:

waa ...

ai ya ... hmmm we don't restrict ourselfs to max of 5 tai lah ...

we play super big one ...

like those qing lao duo can easily get u 40 tai if i remember correctly ;p

haa ... overnight i millionaire liao =P

wah... like that how... even if we play just the normal 40cts for chicken and 1 fan (tai)... but no limit to fans (tais)... den 40fans (tais).................. killer..heh heh heh

:think: :bigeyes: :faint:

Originally posted by SniperD
wah... like that how... even if we play just the normal 40cts for chicken and 1 fan (tai)... but no limit to fans (tais)... den 40fans (tais).................. killer..heh heh heh

:think: :bigeyes: :faint:

haa ... anyway to let the learners know ...

1 fan = 1 tai ...

so they are basically the same ... just that some people say fan and some say tai =)

fan is pronounce in chinese not the english which is a fan ...

waa ... 40 cents for 40 tai ... haa

lets see ... hmmm lets say zhi mo pai, 40 cents ... 80cents .... 1.60 .... 3.20 .... 6.40 ..... 13.80 .... 27.60 ... 55.20 ... 110.4 .... 220.8 ....

441.60 ... 883.20 ... 1766.40 ...3532.80 .... 7065.60 ... 14131.20 ....28262.40 .... 56524.80.... 113049.60 ...226099.20

waaa ... 20 tai already 226099.20

hmmm let me count further =P

452198.40 ... 904396.80 .... 1808793.6 .... 3617587.2 .... 7235174.4 .... 14470348.8 .. 28940697.6 .... 57881395.2 ... 115762790.4 ....... 231525580.8

waa .. 30 tai 231525580.80 bucks lolz ....

haa results for 40 tai

per person pays 118541097369.60 bucks ...

then since 3 person pays ... that amount X 3 ... WAAAAA

i rich liao lolz ..

Status
Not open for further replies.