Mahatten Fish Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

stasystylez

Jun 23, 2008
got a new sigma 30mm 1.4
testing out shots
do comment thanks so i can improve :)

my biggest flaunt is taking food picture while under horrible lighting and i'm not really good at determining the whitebalance, any take on this on how do i get about improving?

DSC03142.jpg

DSC03152.jpg

DSC03153.jpg

DSC03155.jpg

maybe a higher angle showing the whole plate of food would be more interesting. the photos now look a bit congested and clutter, and the focus is confusing.

what setting did you use?

i'm afraid if i higher angle it will show those "extra" like plates , chilli sauce, pepper , menu etc.
i was trying to stick and focus on the food itself

erm setting is found in exif data ^^

white balance;
the higher the kelvin, the warmer the color. Eg 7000k.
The lower the kelvin, the cooler the color. Eg 2000k.
In this instance since you ate at a restaurant the lights are somewhat warm, meaning you will get an orangey yellow cast on your food.
So you balance this out by setting a cooler white balance.
I'm not too sure how to go about explaining this aspect in detail. Its more of a quick trial and error for me to set the color balance.
Maybe the more experienced members can help out.
Hope you can get the rough gist of color balance :)

shoot RAW, you'll probably never have to worry about WB again.

shoot RAW, you'll probably never have to worry about WB again.

I agree to a certain extent.
True. Shooting in RAW will leave you with almost no worries over the WB.
But why leave yourself one more step to settle later if you can settle it now?
If you can settle the WB immediately you have less things to worry about when you process your images later.

Last edited:
Hi,

There are no point of focus. Lighting isnt good, in food photography, good lighting will bring out the texture of the food thus look more appeal to viewers. Shooting RAW is best.

Keep trying and you will get good results.

Cheers

in my nikon D60, there are some WB presets to choose from. really easy and convenience to change settings..

all very blur, out of focusd, not sharp and poor lighting...........

can further explain thank you.

Your DOF is WAYYYYY to thin, in my opinion. So that means you gotta focus on the part of the dish which naturally draws the eye to it. In your case, the focus plane is somewhere in the middle of the dish, but nothing in particular stands out. I think #2 seemed to have one of the potato chips as the sharpest... surely that's not the highlight of the dish?
Can't see the exif data, unless I download your pic. Why not just list your settings below the pic? I assume you used f/1.4. Probably stopping down much more, or moving away a bit to cover more of the dish, would be better.

Also, the white balance is out. Too warm and yellowish.

thanks for your input.
will watch out for white balance and hightlighting.

shoot in RAW. you can adjust the WB to your liking later on. getting the right WB isn't always the right WB that YOU want =)
Clear the table so you can capture the subject further away.
increase ISO so you can increase shutter speed and get sharper images. or you can try better holding techniques.
i like your last pic! mmmmmmm...

Your DOF is WAYYYYY to thin, in my opinion. So that means you gotta focus on the part of the dish which naturally draws the eye to it. In your case, the focus plane is somewhere in the middle of the dish, but nothing in particular stands out. I think #2 seemed to have one of the potato chips as the sharpest... surely that's not the highlight of the dish?
Can't see the exif data, unless I download your pic. Why not just list your settings below the pic? I assume you used f/1.4. Probably stopping down much more, or moving away a bit to cover more of the dish, would be better.

Also, the white balance is out. Too warm and yellowish.

yep i agree too. DOF too shallow. and the whole picture looks way too yellow. maybe stop down to say f5.6 or f8. at least it'll give a deeper DOF

Status
Not open for further replies.