Magnetic Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thot lead only protect against radiation ? To shield from EMI, you need a grounded metal casing to surround the whole cabi :)

aiyah, more the merrier. also can.:bsmilie:

So if i hold a memory card and run on a rubber carpet, changes that the memory card get killed is higher? static charge build up?
Dont need to run on carpet, u just use a plastic comb to comb yr hair back and forth u will build up static charge already, then u hold all these static charge and point yr finger to someone nearby and surely u will "zap" him/her...

Thot lead only protect against radiation ? To shield from EMI, you need a grounded metal casing to surround the whole cabi :)

Not a bad idea to ground the dry cabi but not the lead wallings. The camera might survive the radiation but not the photographer.

Dont need to run on carpet, u just use a plastic comb to comb yr hair back and forth u will build up static charge already, then u hold all these static charge and point yr finger to someone nearby and surely u will "zap" him/her...

Your MUA do tis to you often? :bsmilie:

Only in air-cond room or low humidity environment I guess. BTW, Dry cab is low humidity inside :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

Yikes!!! will static really kill a digi cam?? Was walking with my dotter the other day, somehow either it's her or me that built up a static charge...when we accidentally bumped into each other ZZZaaappp!!! So if it had been the camera between us, then will the cam get fried??

Yikes!!! will static really kill a digi cam?? Was walking with my dotter the other day, somehow either it's her or me that built up a static charge...when we accidentally bumped into each other ZZZaaappp!!! So if it had been the camera between us, then will the cam get fried??
While it can happen, it will not that easy. If that easy, you can imagine how lucky the electronic manufacturer like handphone, pda, notebook, camera, etc. Their service centre also easily blame it to static.

IIRC, the electronics must passed the EMI/RFI (and static?) standard before enter market.

I remember last time when I involved in designing windowsCE machine (something like PDA), our prototype sometimes hang when someone touch the USB connector. Finally we found it because static charge on USB connector screw up the data. It will not happen on final product when all the components/protectors are there.

Regards,
Arto.

While it can happen, it will not that easy. If that easy, you can imagine how lucky the electronic manufacturer like handphone, pda, notebook, camera, etc. Their service centre also easily blame it to static.

IIRC, the electronics must passed the EMI/RFI (and static?) standard before enter market.

I remember last time when I involved in designing windowsCE machine (something like PDA), our prototype sometimes hang when someone touch the USB connector. Finally we found it because static charge on USB connector screw up the data. It will not happen on final product when all the components/protectors are there.

Regards,
Arto.
That's ESD. All electronics should pass this test before it can go out in the market.

Will magnetic field from speakers or tv do any harm to the DSLR camera and memory card?
Not unless it's a microdrive. Although it should be adquately shielded, you should still take some precautions. Solid state devices should not be a problem.

That's ESD. All electronics should pass this test before it can go out in the market.
Thanks! I forgot the name of it. ESD...., heh...., to long never touch electronics :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

Thanks! I forgot the name of it. ESD...., heh...., to long never touch electronics :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.
Hehehe.. I'm still in it so I need to know but don't need to know the details because my field is RF.. :p Usually it will cause latch up in microprocessors so the devices will hang if the ESD fail.

Hehehe.. I'm still in it so I need to know but don't need to know the details because my field is RF.. :p Usually it will cause latch up in microprocessors so the devices will hang if the ESD fail.

:think: ESD/RF/EMI or MI does not trigger latchups in uProcessors. New fabrication methods and proper usage of uPs has reduced occurance of latchups significantly. ESD will kill the uP right away, very unlikely to just cause a latchup. Latchups are usually due to poor semicon design.
Blu-By-U said:
That's assuring. thanks.
There are many mis-information all over the thread. EMPs and "most speakers are shielded" :dunno: just read everything with a bowl of salt.

It doesn't take an EMP to destroy data in a memory card using EM waves or magnetic waves.

Most PC speakers are shielded but the majority of other speakers out there aren't. PC speakers make up only a small fraction of the market. Furthermore, with the increase use of LCD and plasma screens whose images are not affected by magnetic fields, manufacturers are removing shields in an effort to save costs.

:think: ESD/RF/EMI or MI does not trigger latchups in uProcessors. New fabrication methods and proper usage of uPs has reduced occurance of latchups significantly. ESD will kill the uP right away, very unlikely to just cause a latchup. Latchups are usually due to poor semicon design.

There are many mis-information all over the thread. EMPs and "most speakers are shielded" :dunno: just read everything with a bowl of salt.
Yes.. I have seen devices 'fry' with ESD too. But usually if that happens, it won't even be in any products yet. As for "most speakers are shielded", I think whoever made that remark better check again. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.