Magnetic Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

lekir68

Dec 2, 2005
Will magnetic field from speakers or tv do any harm to the DSLR camera and memory card?

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
Will magnetic field from speakers or tv do any harm to the DSLR camera and memory card?
yes... they'll wipe out your data, cause banding in your sensor and worse, create sparks in the electronics...

thats if, there is a very strong magnetic wave leaking from the tv set... but before that, i guess the tv would burst into flames 1st...

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
They are all shielded these days...

I dun think you can find those unshielded ones easily these days

DeSwitch

Oct 28, 2005
1.45N 103.83E
www.flickr.com
memory cards and MD will be affected if the magnetic field is strong. Apart from that static charges can also kill yr cards and MD. I have small ESD shield bags for my cards.

Better be safe than sorry.

arpinkor

May 13, 2005
Nee Soon
Wot about those airport x-ray scanners ? Save for memory cards, right ?
Actually, I always put inside my pocket, just in case.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
so far so good... only notice after xray seem abit over expose on my pc than on the p2000, (ya i blame customs for my crappy photo... cannot issit?)

arpinkor

May 13, 2005
Nee Soon
so far so good... only notice after xray seem abit over expose on my pc than on the p2000, (ya i blame customs for my crappy photo... cannot issit?)
Wah, wu ngiah boh ? :bsmilie:
The scanner so clever ah, can manipulate jpeg/raw (can tell difference between brands some more).

Artosoft

Aug 31, 2005
Tanjong Katong
memory cards and MD will be affected if the magnetic field is strong. Apart from that static charges can also kill yr cards and MD. I have small ESD shield bags for my cards.

Better be safe than sorry.
IIRC, Solid State Memory Card will not affected by magnetic field. MD or Micro Drive (in form of CF card), which is actually small version of hardisk is affected by magnetic field since they record and read data/memory on magnetic surface disk.

Static charges can kill Solid State Memory Card and MD. Solid State Memory Card may have higher chance to damaged by static charges/electricity.

You can also killed by static charges. Powerful static charge I mean ==> thunderbolt.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft

Aug 31, 2005
Tanjong Katong
Depend on how powerful is the X-ray, it can affect your film (used or new one). But it is safe for memory cards, solid state or MD.

Regards,
Arto.

LENS

Apr 8, 2005
So if i hold a memory card and run on a rubber carpet, changes that the memory card get killed is higher? static charge build up?

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
Gentlemen, better to go back to old trusty manual film camera, no meter, mechanical shutter ... those bugger last forever

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Theoretically, DSLRs and memory cards are made of electronic circuit, which is actually electrons, which is affected by magnetic fields, but you would need a very powerful magnetic force to affect the tiny electrons, example the powerful magnetic force created by a nuclear bomb.

lekir68

Dec 2, 2005
Thanks for all the info. I will shift my dry cabi to safer place. Better be safe.
So far nothing has happen.

satay16

Jan 14, 2006
Thanks for all the info. I will shift my dry cabi to safer place. Better be safe.
So far nothing has happen.
if you find it a fuss to shift the cabi, you can always buy a few lead wallings to protect your cabi.

Artosoft

Aug 31, 2005
Tanjong Katong
Theoretically, DSLRs and memory cards are made of electronic circuit, which is actually electrons, which is affected by magnetic fields, but you would need a very powerful magnetic force to affect the tiny electrons, example the powerful magnetic force created by a nuclear bomb.
Nuclear bomb :sweat: . Not only electrons affected by nuclear bomb. Me too :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft

Aug 31, 2005
Tanjong Katong
Gentlemen, better to go back to old trusty manual film camera, no meter, mechanical shutter ... those bugger last forever
Agree with you.

But, until they developt self processing film (like those polaroid camera), I think convenient is still on digital camera.

Regards,
Arto.

arpinkor

May 13, 2005
Nee Soon
if you find it a fuss to shift the cabi, you can always buy a few lead wallings to protect your cabi.
Thot lead only protect against radiation ? To shield from EMI, you need a grounded metal casing to surround the whole cabi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom