Magic Lantern 2.3 on 5D2

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
Has anyone flashed the 5D2 firmware to magic lantern v2.3? Please share your experience using it. Thanks

Has anyone flashed the 5D2 firmware to magic lantern v2.3? Please share your experience using it. Thanks

ML is a bloody good tool if you video alot.

have used one of the earlier versions. I hear much has improved since then.

Version 2.3 works the best by far, no more over lapping text, screen / lights flickering. Menu's seem more responsive as in quicker to move around. Everything I've fiddled with works but I haven't done any "in the field" type testing...just messing around with it. Some of the features might not work as well as you might think. For example, remote trigger via exposure change, I couldn't get that to work using fireworks (could be me, could be the way it works, not sure yet). The remote trigger by sound isn't quick enough to freeze the water from a bursting balloon. Again could be me/my settings or internal mic not picking up the sound (it'll trigger if I clapped my hands together instead of pop the balloon tho. I bought some hardware so gonna retest that sometime soon as well as the video and audio features. I've had ML loaded since April (unified version) and upgraded before 2.3 was released to public, my 5d2 hasn't died yet. Hope that helps...

Be sure to try the automatic bulb ramping for shooting time lapses.

I am so tempted to get a canon body just to shoot timescapes.

For manual focus lenses shooters, there are 3 features which are very useful to get accurate focus:

1) Magic zoom. A square box will show the magnified view of the center AF. You can see clearly when the subject is in focus. The box will also have a green border when subject is in focus.This is imo the most accurate method. However, the downside is a portion of liveview is taken up by the magic box.

2) focus peaking. This may be similiar to NEX implementation.

3) trap focus. By half pressing the shutter and turning the focus ring, the shutter will snap when the subject is in focus.

This ML is not just for videographers. There are some pretty useful features for still photograph. Will feedback as I dive into the menu. Definitely added a new lease of life to 5D2.

Last edited:
For manual focus lenses shooters, there are 3 features which are very useful to get accurate focus:

1) Magic zoom. A square box will show the magnified view of the center AF. You can see clearly when the subject is in focus. The box will also have a green border when subject is in focus.This is imo the most accurate method. However, the downside is a portion of liveview is taken up by the magic box.

3) trap focus. By half pressing the shutter and turning the focus ring, the shutter will snap when the subject is in focus.

This ML is not just for videographers. There are some pretty useful features for still photograph. Will feedback as I dive into the menu. Definitely added a new lease of life to 5D2.

How about ML in 50D? anyone have any try on it.
What the basic steps get the ML in eos camera body.
by the CF card need to have ML or what other steps?

Interest to inject the ML in the 50D camera body.

How about ML in 50D? anyone have any try on it.
What the basic steps get the ML in eos camera body.
by the CF card need to have ML or what other steps?

Interest to inject the ML in the 50D camera body.

I used to try ML (previous version) on 50D about 4 months ago, before I switched to firmware to 5Dm2. Almost all the functions in the new edition are working in the previous edition. Currently, they have version 2.3 even for 50D. The biggest advantage is that it allows video recording for the non-video 50D body.

Installation is easy - by downloading the ML software to your CF card and updating the firmware on you camera body. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to install ML to your camera. The steps are as follows: install [Magic Lantern wiki]

wow trap focus i am drooling, going to put it onto my 500D. ttyl!

i'm trying not to hyperventilate. this is the most amazing stuff ever. suddenly i have no need to buy a new body.

i am using a m42 mount Pentacon 135mm full manual lens.
My focus screen hasn't arrived yet

Suddenly it seems redundant
Because using focus trap i just slowly rotate my very precise mf focus ring...hit focus = snap! Shiokness

i am using a m42 mount Pentacon 135mm full manual lens.
My focus screen hasn't arrived yet

Suddenly it seems redundant
Because using focus trap i just slowly rotate my very precise mf focus ring...hit focus = snap! Shiokness

You should try focus peaking too. Works just like Nex.

The downside is ML relies on liveview, so saps up battery real fast. Also, the weight of the 5D2 does not seem to balance using liveview and manual focusing. But yes, it does rejuvenated an otherwise ageing body. If only the focus trapping can work using the OVF as well.

I also like the ability to delete files really fast with shortcut buttons (set + delete) instead of delete, wait for confirmation, scroll to and press yes.

focus trap works in view finder also.

focus peaking is fun but live view really eats up batteries in crazy way. I used to average 700-1000shots per recharge but after ten mins of live view fun, dropped one batteries bar. too fast for me to accept.

Yes focus trap works nicely without live view, it's a God sent feature for me as I'm used to using this feature which comes as a standard for my previous Nikon and Pentax bodies

sure focua trap works without LV? I have tried and mine doesn't work. Any other setting on top of turning on focus trap?

nicknicksin said:
You lens need to set in manual not AF.

I am using manual focus lens, without AF. Do you mean this only work with Canon lens?

Did anyone notice that their battery died really fast even with power off? Magic Lantern seems to have done that to my camera. now must resort to removing battery physically...

sure focua trap works without LV? I have tried and mine doesn't work. Any other setting on top of turning on focus trap?

It works without live view (even don't need to use optical viewfinder). If you are using pure MF vintage lens (eg m42 , CY mount, etc) you must have the chipped AF-confirm adapter.

If using Canon native mount ie EOS EF or EFS , set the focus mode to Manual (on lens barrel).

I found that my lens has very precise and well damped focus which means the focus trap causes my camera to "snap" - i have to brace against something or use tripod for most accurate shooting