Made in Singapore - John CLang over Ch U.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
a reminder. watch John CLang at 8.30pm and 11.30pm on Tuesday, 5 Apr over Channel U. according the TV listing, 11.30 pm will feature John and 8.30pm is debut of this programme.

i was soo looking forward to watching that show... but i have to assist a evening shoot... crap....

i am planning to tape it up.

thanks for the reminder ! would love to get to know more abt this colour blind photographer!

i think he is very much a singaporean boy at heart. i can't believe the cheek to cheek contacts at the studio. it looked forced.

no more feedback from the show?

reachme2003 said:
no more feedback from the show?
so successful and yet humble! , father was a hawker , live in 3 rm flat since young ! this is a very gd example of someone poor and make it big with all the passion and experience only people who went tru can understand and produce . He also said something very true , learn the hard way not the easy way which i think nowsaday newbie photographer are not practising . He really make singapore proud and is a example for us to follow :thumbsup:

RGB said:
He also said something very true , learn the hard way not the easy way which i think nowsaday newbie photographer are not practising.

please elaborate ;p i missed part of the programme.

i had the programme taped on video. PM me if you like to borrow.

saw the 8.30 program, he has a few series of photos shot in Singapore, 1 showing a guy sleeping with a pillow everywhere (eg in the middle of the road).

another set shows a guy wearing only shorts on all four (like a dog) again everywhere.....cannot quite comprehend this? what is he trying to show? (Singapore nothing better to shoot?)
:dunno:

I admire him for his determination and courage.

What he does in US is fashion shoots.

The pics he showcased on S'pore was like a fushion between art and photography so it does takes time for us to comprehand...

I say, John, just do what you like.

it seems like in new york, the style of shooting is using super large light sources. in fact, it had been quite a while.

ok the guy crawling on the floor on all fours is actually the famous cobbler at the walkway outside of somerset mrt... the young man is actually the son of the cobbler, from what i heard from clang is taht this person have a very low self esteem so think about the pictures with those context.. and thru the projects he kinda nutured and build his friend's esteem up...also's clangs parents are still hawkers.

pcwe68 said:
saw the 8.30 program, he has a few series of photos shot in Singapore, 1 showing a guy sleeping with a pillow everywhere (eg in the middle of the road).

another set shows a guy wearing only shorts on all four (like a dog) again everywhere.....cannot quite comprehend this? what is he trying to show? (Singapore nothing better to shoot?)

Don't judge another person's work by your own standards.Art is subjective.That's all that matters.

pcwe68 said:

you missed the important part of the show - he DID mentioned about how he, growing up in the old estates of S'pore has influenced him and his lifestyle despite his fame in NY. His old HDB series was a way of artistic representation of a stray cat and his way of remembering his humble upbringing :)

zig said:
ok the guy crawling on the floor on all fours is actually the famous cobbler at the walkway outside of somerset mrt... the young man is actually the son of the cobbler, from what i heard from clang is taht this person have a very low self esteem so think about the pictures with those context.. and thru the projects he kinda nutured and build his friend's esteem up...also's clangs parents are still hawkers.

I think I can accept the above explanation but not the expression for growing up in HDB, cat and humble. (how does posing on all 4 shows humility) it gives the wrong impression about singapore, we were not that "barbaric" or backward.

(Anyway regarding the esteem thingy, i hope my boss don't see that, otherwise he will ask me to go around on all 4 and will say it good for my self esteem ;)

Just recalled why I can't quite accept the posing on all 4 photos, kind of remind me of the photos of US soldiers abusing Iraqi POW or terrorist suspect in the Bush's war in Iraq. :confused:

Perhaps there is a reason why he wants us to think like that.Come to think of it..we are all not that free in SG you know..

Better clarify myself, I definitely do not believe that John Clang photos have anything related to those acts done the US soldiers. If I seems to imply it, then I apologise. :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.