Made in Japan: Does it matter to you?

Made in Japan: Big deal?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan products have to answer to Japan itself & to the world, you know?:thumbsup: Always like made in Japan products. Really good bang for the bucks.;p

Used to concern me alot ... but lately none made in japan product has somehow prove to me that they are in fact good and durable too example my made in USA pair of agressive skate till now 2 years liao still running ;p

synapseman said:
Do you think there's any difference if a camera is made in Japan, or anywhere else?

Well I think they will be slight difference.
I am in manufacturing line...my side we need to follow QA specs from japan and we compare our products with theirs

I believe there are more pride in people from Japan than people from China when they work. While cost of labour do not determine quality of work produced, products from Japan has proven to be much more reliable than from China in general, unless statistics tell me otherwise.

Japan still made the best quality things in asia. Although they started out-sourcing already. :what: Of course, they can't match those made in the US or even other countries where things are more expensive due to built, quality & labour cost.

I always liked Japanese QA. Have to say that with same QA there are some things that works very well in US or Japan but sh**t here. Especially things that are effected by humidity such products then go for locally manufactured for local comsumption lah! if can find Japan manufactured for local consumption specs better still.

So, don't always think US or Japan made goods are better, just be aware that application of the product is also important.

../azul123

Oh forgot to add sometimes there are also power related issues, though such cases are lesser.

I've always wondered why there are 3 standards in the world.. why can't everyone agree with one standard!

Firstly there is the US standard 110~115VAC
European standard 220~240VAC
Japan 100VAC

../azul123

I know many people think Made-in-Japan is better. I used to think this wasn't really true. I thought even if outsourced to factories elsewhere in Asia, still would have Japanese QC standards. But I think I've changed my mind.

Take Casio cameras, for example. Their EXILIM cameras used to be made in Japan, and they did feel decidedly more "solid" than the current made in China ones. Even their latest models felt kinda "cheap" to the touch. Only their EX-P505 and (I assume) EX-P707 are still made in Japan. Panasonic's FX-series (as far as I know) and Canon's IXUS series cameras are also made in Japan and they feel solid as well, so I think it's no longer just a coincidence.

But then again, the Konica Minolta Dynax 7D is made in Malaysia and people seem very pleased with it. Probably KM specified higher QC standards for this camera, since it's their flagship model. I have a Dynax 60 film camera, also made in M'sia, and its shutter button jammed just barely after a year of very light use!

If it is genuinely made in Japan product, then I'll prefer it anytime to (made in China) or MIC. I have worked in a Jap firm b4 (lets call it X) and I know the QC is different for made in Japan ones.

The firm I worked for is the Singapore branch of the same company X that manufactures component parts. The singapore branch employs a lot of foreign workers and as you would expect, the QC isn't as well done.

The parent company X in Japan actually orders parts from the Singapore branch of X. These orders are given special attention and stricter QC. When the workers know that these parts are meant for the Japan X, they apply stringent QC checks because they know the batch will likely be rejected if it's not up to par and the Japan X will make a fuss

The problem is when it says "Made In Japan", is it really Made In Japan or just assembled elsewhere, with parts all over the world and then shipped back to Japan to be stamped ""Made In Japan"? If that is the case, then MIJ has no meaning

But my own experience shows that genuine MIJ is indeed of good QC

I rather go for extended warranty then go for Made in "where" Coz after 1 yr and if your made in japan electronic product fails it's back to zero.

lolz true ..but the "Made.In.Jp." label is still funky...good QC

I agree it looks funky and I will still go for Made in Japan stuff but then for added security I will buy additional warranty. ;)

yes it does matter... technology wise

Made in Germany is also as good, I heard the D50, D70 were made in Thailand.

i believe if d70 isnt made in thailand .. the cost obviously would be higher ...

to me, as long as it can bring down the cost, i wouldnt mind if it's made elsewhere ...

Yah..to me, it matters...

I dont mind paying more for "Made in Japan" electronic products, than other Asian Country Made Electronic stuffs. USA and some high-end European Countries' Products are also nice.

dominator said:
How about a Made in Thailand Watch? :bsmilie:

Casio's G Shock, Protrek & Baby G that are made in Thailand is actually better & more expensive than some other lines that are made in Malaysia. :bsmilie:

what a big joke.... in asia, pple think made in US means better quality control... in US... pple think US made goods are nowhere near Japanese Quality... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.