Macro

Vgnrj Vsls

Sep 27, 2011
I know there a tons of this on the internet, but I'd like to ask again. I have a D7000 with a 35mm 1.8G...and I want to take close ups of spiders and insects..I don't want to go too close to the animal because I might scare it away. How do I do this? Which is better, extension tubes, lens reversal method, a whole new lens or filters? They're so many ways..and I want something that looks like this...

Can anyone educate me on this?

Really appreciate the help :)

iApr6w

I can understand your feeling because that was my question when I start off more than 3 years ago. After reading various posts, I am still not convinced the insect will run away if I go too close.

In contrary, you need to go close to shoot macro. At least that is my experience (read others shoot from distance but I prefer close up). Whether reverse lens, macro lens, extension tube, etc. they all work if you get it right. Whatever you have, if you don't shoot, you will never get it right. So, just shoot and you will get better through practices. Remember, your subject never complaint and there are plenty to choose from. Good luck.

I know there a tons of this on the internet, but I'd like to ask again. I have a D7000 with a 35mm 1.8G...and I want to take close ups of spiders and insects..I don't want to go too close to the animal because I might scare it away. How do I do this? Which is better, extension tubes, lens reversal method, a whole new lens or filters? They're so many ways..and I want something that looks like this...

Can anyone educate me on this?

Really appreciate the help :)

iApr6w

No one here can explain it as well in paragraphs of word then watching the numerous very detailed videos on Macro photography on YOUTUBE. Typing catchwords like micro or macro photography will bring you hours of lessons, tips, setup advice on different kinds of macro photography including recommendation of equipment to use or NOT use.

Unless your main intention here is to get someone to take you out to show you hands-on step-by-step or you want to join some group of like minded individuals into macro shooting. In any case, YOUTUBE is still the best place to start knowing the fundamentals.

Last edited:
No one here can explain it as well in paragraphs of word then watching the numerous very detailed videos on Macro photography on YOUTUBE. Typing catchwords like micro or macro photography will bring you hours of lessons, tips, setup advice on different kinds of macro photography including recommendation of equipment to use or NOT use. Unless your main intention here is to get someone to take you out to show you hands-on step-by-step or you want to join some group of like minded individuals into macro shooting. In any case, YOUTUBE is still the best place to start knowing the fundamentals.

Thanks a lot..I'll start now:)

A macro lens with longer focal length will offer longer working distance. Put on a teleconverter and the magnification increases while the working distance remains about the same.

Ryan

For macro, sometimes the skill set is not about ur camera techniques or ur gear itself. The clothes u wear, the shoes u wear, the time u go out to hunt for bugs, the weather... All these matters.

Normally the spiders jump on my lens

when i try to shoot a jumping spider, it got startled by my flash or my black lens leaning closer to it , then it started to turn around and keep staring into my lens. If i don't snap a shot quickly .. likelihood next moment it will jump into my lens?

Last edited:
I started on a 50mm lens with a raynox. And depending on the weather conditions, usually macro are best taken early in the morning, where you can get the morning dew and usually somewhat least active of the insects ..same goes for night. You need to have a lot of patience, pacing yourself slowly towards the insect...and observe the surroundings. :) good luck!