MACRO with Canon + EX Flash question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaschan

Dec 30, 2002
Visit site
Hi, i recently acquired an EX Flash for use with my G3 for macro purposes...

For all modes it seems fine, however, whenever i switch to "M" mode, i can't seem to get a proper exposure...

For example, if i choose to set it at f8.0 and 1/100, and i bounce the flash upwards, it always seems to not meter correctly... and the flash doesnt fire bright enuff....

I tot as long as i angle the flash in bounce mode, it will ALWAYS fire at full power?

All this works fine at other modes like Av Tv etc...

Pls help! Thanks

btw im using G3 + 380ex

I don't think it fires in full power when you're in M mode. E-TTL still works accordingly.

I think a possible reasoning is that the flash range is limited. When you bounce, the required flash distance is increased since the light has to travel a longer path. Some light is also lost during the reflection of the bounce. Moreover, you were using f8. I hope you weren't using ISO50, cos if you did, then the flash range might not be able to reach where your subject is.

hi, i understand abt the aperture/shutter combi being too small/fast..

however,

1. Flash Angled Up, + "M" Mode = NO FULL POWER FLASH

2. Flash Angled Up, + "Av, Tv, P, or other modes" = Full power Flash

Because there is no full power flash, the macro shot looks dark!

I do not understand why it switches to E-TTL mode when in "M" mode...

sorry to sound snide, got manual or not? all these auto stuff usually have caveats here n there... which EX u using? 420 or lower I guess? 550EX shd have a M switch...

Originally posted by thomaschan
hi, i understand abt the aperture/shutter combi being too small/fast..

however,

1. Flash Angled Up, + "M" Mode = NO FULL POWER FLASH

2. Flash Angled Up, + "Av, Tv, P, or other modes" = Full power Flash

Because there is no full power flash, the macro shot looks dark!

I do not understand why it switches to E-TTL mode when in "M" mode...

hi denizen x, thanks for replying...

yah, 380ex, sadly no MANUAL option...

but its funny,
Flash set to NON BOUNCE = E-TTL in ALL modes (Av Tv P M etc)

Flash set to BOUNCE = FULL POWER (no ettl) in ALL modes EXCEPT "M" mode. (M mode STILL has E-TTL)

Why can't i get FULL power in bounce mode for "M" setting?

I seem to be able to get it for non "M" settings....

Also another question:

Where is the preflash that comes with E-TTL?

Or does the preflash come at almost the same time as the FLASH that i don't notice it?

Thanks!

apologies for putting this in gallery section.. paiseh..

anyway solved my own problem.. thanks!

Originally posted by denizenx
http://www.photographyreview.com/ps...,Speedlite,380EX,Flash/PRD_83960_3121crx.aspx

try this guy's "solution" -- right near the end of the page...

I briefly read true... ingenious method but sounds complicated for my non techie mind. I think it's too troublesome. Defeats the purpose of modern day auto flash. I've used the 380EX without the probs he mentioned.

Thomas, the preflash is fired just before the actual flash goes off, ie together with your shutter release. But because it happens so quickly, it seems as if both are fired at the same time.

hi psyche... me too...

it was due to my own ignorance that i wasnt able to use it properly....

a bit of reading and i found out that when external flash is attached, ALL modes except Manual use E-TTL (u can override this setting if u want).

And in Manual mode, the flash is MANUALLY controlled thru the camera... it was set to minimum by default, thats why my bounces were all super underexposed... i thought it was the E-TTl that was screwing things up.

anyway!! Thanks everyone !

Status
Not open for further replies.