Macro shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

b18

Nov 8, 2002
Kangaroo land
www.estphoto.com
Any idea how the shots in this site is done?

f22 , maximum sunlight .. but background SOOO blur ?

any ideas ?

=bob=

cos he is using the macro filter 500D.
A good close filter by canon.
Also maybe he capture the image with longest focal length and closet focusing distance.

Thread moved to "General, Reviews/Previews, Technical Discussions" due to the content :)

Just wondering whether would a 500D plus an extention tube give you a closer distance to work with?

I hope that megaweb can shed some light on this.

well, canon 500D diopter is good only for lenses with 200mm+ focal length, for those 100mm+ 250D is recommended.

Extension tube will only increase the magnification but not the working distance. Magnification, or image size, can be determined by using the formula, length of extension/focal length. That is, adding 5mm extension tube to a 50mm lens will give you 1:1 magnification.

If you want to increase your working distance, consider buying a teleconverters which available on 1.4X or 2X. So, adding 2X teleconveter on the above setup will give you a whooping 100mm 1:1 macro lense.. adding canon 250D diopter would be an overkill already unless you really want to increase the magnification.. not to mention that you can stack a series of extension tube together to give you more than 1:1 magnifiction ;)

Originally posted by lennon
well, canon 500D diopter is good only for lenses with 200mm+ focal length, for those 100mm+ 250D is recommended.

Extension tube will only increase the magnification but not the working distance. Magnification, or image size, can be determined by using the formula, length of extension/focal length. That is, adding 5mm extension tube to a 50mm lens will give you 1:1 magnification.

If you want to increase your working distance, consider buying a teleconverters which available on 1.4X or 2X. So, adding 2X teleconveter on the above setup will give you a whooping 100mm 1:1 macro lense.. adding canon 250D diopter would be an overkill already unless you really want to increase the magnification.. not to mention that you can stack a series of extension tube together to give you more than 1:1 magnifiction ;)

sorry, I mean, adding 50mm extension tube to a 50mm lens will give you 1:1 magnification.

:)

At magnification ratio of close to 1:1, such background blur is easily achieved especially when the aperture (that on the lens, not actual) wide open to f8. This is regardless if you use extension tubes or diopters. However, if you use diopters, the wide open aperture remains the same as your lens. If you use extension tubes, your wide open aperture will be closed down. It helps much if the background is far away and softly lit.

I am very impressed not by the background blur but by the beautiful "bokeh" achieved. I am not familiar with Canon lenses but I had never seen such beautiful "bokeh" from my Nikon lenses. He may also had applied selective unsharp mask to the flower and not to the background which really makes his flower shots stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.