Macro shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will probably grab my cam and len and try it out at some ulu places this weekend first..
just hope my sigma70-300 can shoot something interesting..

will post soon and let you guys C&C...

haa...used to catch spiders in the past...now taking pictures of them...
ironical...

cerebrus said:
Ya, it is also cheaper. Canon 50mm f1.8 MkII is about $120, I think.

Heard about it...and read a little..
cant totally understand it..
any CS members using it, so that i can view the photos?

I will need a reverse ring, and thats all is it?
and is it expensive?

tltan said:
Didnt realise u have the 70-300 apo dg. thats quite a good lens for macro already
giving u macro capabilities at 200-300 range. One of the lens i wanted to get..
although not 1:1 it doesnt matter as long as its sharp and you are happy. use a tripod as that focal length should require it. hehe.
Or use flash (external flash is better) instead of tripod.

Regards,
Arto.

yah

Thats true. =)
I dont recommend flash as I dont use them in my shots. hehe
YET to that is cause I am still saving for that flash.

Regards,
tltan
:bsmilie:

tltan said:
then get his 90mm loh. =)
he already gave examples on the lens. cant be wrong. =)

OT: Ortega, got commission boh, help you promote.

Cannonball, just joking lah.
my friend said that if i sell beyond new price i can keep the difference

we split 50/50 Ok?

cannonball said:
Will probably grab my cam and len and try it out at some ulu places this weekend first..
just hope my sigma70-300 can shoot something interesting..

will post soon and let you guys C&C...

haa...used to catch spiders in the past...now taking pictures of them...
ironical...
don't need to go to ulu places
under hdb block also have things to shoot

Went to ECP for some macro shots..

hmmz...the focusing aint good..
most of them are blurred...or the eyes aint in focussed..

do you guys use a tripod most of the time?
and the shutter speed preferred?

and u guys are right.....lone man walking close to bushes w/ camera...do attract stares
from the public!!! :sweatsm:

ortega said:
my friend said that if i sell beyond new price i can keep the difference

we split 50/50 Ok?

ok. =)
hahahaha. so sell it at $1K ok

cannonball said:
Went to ECP for some macro shots..

hmmz...the focusing aint good..
most of them are blurred...or the eyes aint in focussed..

do you guys use a tripod most of the time?
and the shutter speed preferred?

and u guys are right.....lone man walking close to bushes w/ camera...do attract stares
from the public!!! :sweatsm:

Yah, with that long thing. sure attract attention. your camera that is. =)

Anyway, as I say, ur focal length for macro is at least 200mm. So, theoretically, say again, theoretically you should shoot faster then 1/200 for this length to reduce handshake. But best to use tripod or monopod. I like tripod cause I drink too much coffee...cant handhold properly.

Other than that, use an external flash=)

Regards,
tltan

sorry to hijack here ..
just some question for the macro shooters

1)where is a good place to shoot at the eastern part of SG?
closer to bedok

2)me currently using reverse 5omm. is the range too short for butterfly.
once i get closer .. all flew off.

Did know my jogging track around my void deck got lots of butterflies

ECP was great just now..
was only at that small area...(all within 50 steps)..
and i saw at least 5 species of butterflies, 2 diff spiders, 4 species of grasshoppers...a wasp..and etc...
** was there for about 25 mins..

is that 2nd last carpark before the fort road round about..

cannonball said:
ECP was great just now..
was only at that small area...(all within 50 steps)..
and i saw at least 5 species of butterflies, 2 diff spiders, 4 species of grasshoppers...a wasp..and etc...
** was there for about 25 mins..

is that 2nd last carpark before the fort road round about..

oh, a new place to try my luck. I live very near there. hehe

The sigma would be too heavy for handheld but if you can manage it, the result would be great. . I had used it before. Now I use the Tamron 90mm. This is a good and affordable Macro lens. You wont regret buying this lens. Only thing is that the front element extends out when focusing and AF would be slow but for macro, we normally use manual.

And yes, you only need this lens, dont have to attach any closeup filter. Closeup filter is to convert normal lens to Macro lens.

Reverse mount would give you very close working range and the DOF is very shallow, so for insect its not really pratical.

At macro working distance, the issue is not just handshake, but getting the focal point you really wanted. a number of things will combine to screw you up, e.g. subject shake (bugs move, flowers get blown in the wind, etc), camera shake (use tripod/monopod, but sometimes the subject is in a place that is really impossible to use these), inability to see the focusing position (most DSLR don't have precise focusing matte such as those split image type focusing screen, you can't really tell EXACTLY where you are focusing).

learn to use flash, sometimes you don't have a choice as the subject could be in the shade, under a leaf, etc. in fact learn to use external and slave flash!

hwchoy said:
At macro working distance, the issue is not just handshake, but getting the focal point you really wanted. a number of things will combine to screw you up, e.g. subject shake (bugs move, flowers get blown in the wind, etc), camera shake (use tripod/monopod, but sometimes the subject is in a place that is really impossible to use these), inability to see the focusing position (most DSLR don't have precise focusing matte such as those split image type focusing screen, you can't really tell EXACTLY where you are focusing).

learn to use flash, sometimes you don't have a choice as the subject could be in the shade, under a leaf, etc. in fact learn to use external and slave flash!

:thumbsup:
i agree. Just any slight movement will give u that "urg" feeling. But then, with digital, its ok, just one button DEL and redo it although not a good practice.

Anyway, I tried direct flash with tamron 90mm fully extended. D70s built in flash that is. Cannot make it coz I think the front element blocked the subject as I was working at very close focusing distance. 3/4 picture black.

Regards,
tltan

just shoot and enjoy shooting
don't expect to get great pictures from the start.

after the shoot review your images on the computer,
if you find the problem, think!

What happened?
How can I counter it?
How can I make it better?
Expriment with different setups
until you find one that you are comfortable with.

join photo outings - shoot and talk with different people.
Watch how they do it, learn from others

their good points and also their bad points.
Share! Have fun!

and lastly BBB!

tltan said:
Anyway, I tried direct flash with tamron 90mm fully extended. D70s built in flash that is. Cannot make it coz I think the front element blocked the subject as I was working at very close focusing distance. 3/4 picture black.

Regards,
tltan

yah you can't really use the built-in flash, especially if you use the lens hood (I am using EF100mm macro with hood). for flash I use wireless triggered external flash. for canon that is the ST-E2 with 550EX (actually I use two 550EX). the good thing with the D70s is its on board flash can trigger external flash, so just get an SB600/800 will be great.

for flash make sure to have bounce card and diffusors as you want to soften the light. tissue paper also works great.

Thanks to all for valuable advices, guys...

thou the photos suck big time today....
will probably be back at other bushes tomorrow..haha..

however, my sigma70-300 cant achieve the that level of "macro"...
saw some really "close-up" which i cant achieve..

hmmz...anyway, will pratice my skill first and equipments later..

my first macro....the eyes aint forcused..
will work on that asap...

greenie2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.