Macro shots using Sigma 70-300mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone can share views for the Sigma 70-300mm lens for macro photography.?
I know it can shoot at a min focus range of 1 metre using the macro mode but hope to get some user's views.
:thumbsup:

don't get too hopeful because at 300mm handshake is a huge problem, flash is almost always needed. plus, it can be alittle soft at times..

don't get too hopeful because at 300mm handshake is a huge problem, flash is almost always needed. plus, it can be alittle soft at times..
yep .. i am a 70-300 user, the lens is great IMO.. the pics r abit soft. juz need to sharpen the pics and it will be ok. and always use a monopod when shooting macros:)

Seems pretty ok for me, you will not get all shots sharp even with IS but just shoot more it will be fine, since there will be some winners and some losers.

Tripod usage is almost a no no if you're shooting insect macro based on experience - you set it up and Mr Butterfly decides you're not attractive enough for him so he flies away. No point, really. Of course for less active things like spiders not such a problem, still life don't need to say;

70-300 is not a bad lens for the price, but it's not the sharpest lens that you can use to shoot macros out there, the macro range is also only between 200-300, which can be a boon or a bane depending on what you're shooting, as mentioned by others a little soft.

With regards to sharpness - it depends on how picky you want to be. Personally I think it's more than sufficient for my uses, though when I zoom in a little I can perceive why people tend to shy away from it.

Also note that the macro capability is 2:1 maximum, nothing like true macro lens which gives 1:1. So for larger things like butterflies not so much of a problem, for really small insects or objects will be a problem, unless you're fine with cropping.

This is one of my favourite shots I've gotten with this lens (which I borrowed from a kind soul);

http://www.flickr.com/photos/night86mare/517884604/

All the macros in my flickr are using the 70-300 as well.

Anyone can share views for the Sigma 70-300mm lens for macro photography.?
I know it can shoot at a min focus range of 1 metre using the macro mode but hope to get some user's views.
:thumbsup:
If you are talking about Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6, its a good lens for the price.

Regards,
Arto.

err? i tot the sigma 70-300 macro is 1:2?
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3303&navigator=3:dunno:

Seems pretty ok for me, you will not get all shots sharp even with IS but just shoot more it will be fine, since there will be some winners and some losers.

Tripod usage is almost a no no if you're shooting insect macro based on experience - you set it up and Mr Butterfly decides you're not attractive enough for him so he flies away. No point, really. Of course for less active things like spiders not such a problem, still life don't need to say;

70-300 is not a bad lens for the price, but it's not the sharpest lens that you can use to shoot macros out there, the macro range is also only between 200-300, which can be a boon or a bane depending on what you're shooting, as mentioned by others a little soft.

With regards to sharpness - it depends on how picky you want to be. Personally I think it's more than sufficient for my uses, though when I zoom in a little I can perceive why people tend to shy away from it.

Also note that the macro capability is 2:1 maximum, nothing like true macro lens which gives 1:1. So for larger things like butterflies not so much of a problem, for really small insects or objects will be a problem, unless you're fine with cropping.

This is one of my favourite shots I've gotten with this lens (which I borrowed from a kind soul);

http://www.flickr.com/photos/night86mare/517884604/

All the macros in my flickr are using the 70-300 as well.

Not that familiar with macro terms, in any case it doesn't offer 1:1 size, it's the smaller ratio thing la. Half size.

With the close up attachment, the subject can be taken closer, thus greater than 1:2, and at 300mm, close to 1:1.

Minimum focus distance is reduced as well.

Some samples taken long ago, good for large insects
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=155375

For small ones, it works well with the raynox dcr250 close up attachment. Greater than 1:2 is achievable.

Using this lens with DCR250 is extremely difficult, it needs about a few centimeters distance from the subject to get focus properly. Then again the CA is high with this setup.

If wanna get higher ratio than 1:2, better buy a dedicated macro lens.

Its a value for $ lens. Use either a tripod or monopod for macro.

The DCR250 is more for prosumer cams where you can even auto focus with the dcr250 attached as the prosumer cams allow a close minimum focusing distance.

So i would not recommend you get the dcr250 on this sigma. Macro with this lense is superb but not close enough.

However if you into butt shots, this lense is very good. It allows ample working distance.

if not, i would suggest you get a dedicated macro lense. Have not tried with closeup filters so no comments. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.