Macro shots splotchy with 6.3 Mpixel ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakkon

Jul 29, 2004
Cd'A - Idaho
www.cdasites.com
Greetings,

I've been going through quite a learning experience trying to photograph some small italian charms. They are about 1" x 1/2", and polished stainless.

I built a small soft box and that seems to have solved the glare problem, but now I'm noticing that the images are extremely splotchy:

charm_test2.gif

I've done shots with shutter speeds down to 1/8 second, but I have no idea what effect that has. I've tested with the entire range of aperture, but that doesn't seem to have solved the splotchiness.

I've got a Fujifilm s7000 -- it's taken great pictures in sunlight. Perhaps I need more light?

I've got a 60w and 40w right now, and my soft box is covered with a semi-transparent shower curtain.

Any ideas?

Belle&Sebastain said:
Use the lowest lso possible and mount your camera on the tripod,

Ah, ok. Yeah, my ISO was at 400... I'll put it back down to 100.

Are the bulbs I'm using okay? Just incandescents, 40w and a 60w. The pics could be a bit brighter I suppose.... I hear that photofloods are only a few bucks each... maybe I should get two or three of those at around 75w or so?

No need for more light. Just prolong the exposure, you said 1/8 @ ISO 400. Take it to 1/4 @ ISO 200 (if i am not wrong, S7000 base ISO is 200 only). Your shot seems under, maybe can even try 1/3 second. Anyway, check your jpg quality too and see if it is at finest quality.

dakkon said:
Ah, ok. Yeah, my ISO was at 400... I'll put it back down to 100.

Are the bulbs I'm using okay? Just incandescents, 40w and a 60w. The pics could be a bit brighter I suppose.... I hear that photofloods are only a few bucks each... maybe I should get two or three of those at around 75w or so?

not sure abt your cam, should be able to do a auto white balance right, place your lights and use a a4 white paper and custom your white balance to get true colours if you want, if you want the bulb colours then you can play around with the other preset colour balance to achieve your desired effects.

i recon expose abt 1/3 more and angle your side light more, bring your main light closer to the object.

have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.