Macro Shots of my new Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSwitch

Oct 28, 2005
1.45N 103.83E
www.flickr.com
tam90_048_spider.jpg

This white spider is very difficult to take as it right inside of a thick bush.

ladybug1.jpg

This Lady bug is very elusive. Kept moving around. only manage 2 shots.

tam90_072_ladybug.jpg

I gaveup. get hold of the ladybug and took a shot with one hand

tam90b_058.jpg

Yo, you looking at me?

tam90b_058_crop.jpg

A 100% crop of the above dragon fly head.

pix slightly OOF, shld use a tripod for aid, also for the first 2 pix, try a slower shutterspeed to get a better background

You bought the Tamron 90mm? Good for you. As Simon pointed out, most shots are OOF, you need to work harder to get sharper pic. Next thing will be a mount flash for better fill in with softer effect.

Can bump up your ISO to get brighter BG? 350D is good in controlling noise...

Well done, DeSwitch!

CM

Ladybugs are quite difficult to take, as most of the time, the body is in focus but not the eyes...so have to 'aim' for the eyes.

Nice shot on the DF! What are your settings?

CY

like your dragonfly shots.
btw which lens did you use for these macro shots?

Thanks for all the advise. Yup, my hand not as steady as before so need more pratice. All shots taken using my new Tamron 90mm DI f2.8 Macro lens. The spider one is very hard to take leh. its tiny and right inside the middle of the bush and my new Sigma DG500 flash cannot even light it up. How would you guys light it up? use off shoe cord? I'm still looking for a good and cheap tripod in the B&S cos my year end bonus used up liao.

The Tamron is easier to handle than my sigma but have to manual focus as it hunts a lot on close up.

Thanks again for all the experts here giving priceless advise.

deadfly.jpg

This is another shot. Initially I thought it some insect but after viewing it on the PC, then I realise it a dead fly. its OOF though as my hands are not steady yet.

almost there, can try increasing your shutter speed to counter the camera shake.
or increasing the ISO or a monopod or tripod.

noted. Didnt really play with the ISO as I dont like noise. Will try out a few shots with higher ISO.

try that split image focusing screen that tt168 is selling in b/s. you would need something like that to pick manually the precise focusing plane.

hwchoy said:
try that split image focusing screen that tt168 is selling in b/s. you would need something like that to pick manually the precise focusing plane.

I know, these are good but had been spending too much liao leh. Maybe at a later stage. My wish list in order of piority now are:

1. Good Tripod (by this week)
2. Angle finder
3. Split focus screen.

I saw in an article some joker mount a 30x scope on the viewfinder.:bsmilie:

Nice closeup of the DF's head. :thumbsup: New equipment need getting used to, I'm sure you'd be getting better results soon.

Incidentally, the attachments I used on my 75-300mm are to allow me get closer to the subect, not to increase the DOF. In fact, both shots were done at f/4. I should have gone for at least F/8, then I'd have sharper pics LOL.

DeSwitch, borrow your thread to ask: has anyone used that split focus screen, if so which model is your cam, and if the viewfinder is much darker?

BobCheong said:
Nice closeup of the DF's head. :thumbsup: New equipment need getting used to, I'm sure you'd be getting better results soon.

Incidentally, the attachments I used on my 75-300mm are to allow me get closer to the subect, not to increase the DOF. In fact, both shots were done at f/4. I should have gone for at least F/8, then I'd have sharper pics LOL.

Thanks for the encouragement. I had seen your shots. really great. A real inspiration for newbies like me. BTW how to use the close-up filter. Actually I dont know the real function of the close up filter. I got one Hoya +4 which I bought to experiment but cant seen to get good result. I had just bought a good 2nd hand Manfroto tripod yesterday but its without the quick release. Hunting for one now.

Just curious, how near did you get with the attachments you used on yr 70-300mm?

I just started Macro so there's a lot to learn and like my friend say also a lot of Buy Buy Buy.

An extension tube is a hollow tube that goes between your camera and lens. With my 75-300mm, it gives a working range of between 8 in. - 8 ft (approx). With the addition of the 500D, my working range is about 3 in - 8 in, only suitable for small insects. The single element +4 filter have very shallow DOF so need a lot of practice.

I get lots of bummers when I first started out, but with practice, my rate of success has improved. So keep shooting and study your shots, it'll get easier as you go along.

Happy Shooting!

BobCheong said:
An extension tube is a hollow tube that goes between your camera and lens. With my 75-300mm, it gives a working range of between 8 in. - 8 ft (approx). With the addition of the 500D, my working range is about 3 in - 8 in, only suitable for small insects. The single element +4 filter have very shallow DOF so need a lot of practice.

I get lots of bummers when I first started out, but with practice, my rate of success has improved. So keep shooting and study your shots, it'll get easier as you go along.

Happy Shooting!

Sure will keep praticing to get better pictures. Lucky for me, the playgroung below my block have lots of bugs and butts to pratice on. All the shots were taken near my block. Tomorrow will be my pratical lesson after a week of Theory here.

Status
Not open for further replies.