Macro Shot of Singapore Dollar using various setup

wasak2000

Nov 30, 2010
Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
Hi guys Im a newbie and want to find out more about macro i have read posts like,

extension tubes better
dedicated macro lens the best
close up filter degrades IQ
etc

but i feel its best if we see for ourselves the actual results in consolidated in one thread

please post a picture of the singapore dollar at max magnification with your current setup (closeup filter, raynox, extension tube, reverse mount or dedicated macro lens)

please post before and after a shots refer to example to post 3

hopefully this thread may serve as a basis for us newbies on what direction we need to take on macro photography

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Wasak, there are too many variables that will affect the result:

1. Type of sensor e.g. 1/2.55" as against a APS-C; the 1/2.55" will have much better DOF

2. The quality of the glass e.g. Leitz, Carl Zeiss, Canon, Nikon

3. Focal length; shots taken with 55mm will not be the same as those taken with 100mm

4. Lighting

5. Aperture used will affect the DOF

6. A zoom lens and a prime lens will also produce different result

7. In-camera setting e.g. contrast and sharpness etc

Pardon me for being so negative.

Last edited:
Wasak, there are too many variables that will affect the result:

1. Type of sensor e.g. 1/2.55" as against a APS-C; the 1/2.55" will have much better DOF

2. The quality of the glass e.g. Leitz, Carl Zeiss, Canon, Nikon

3. Focal length; shots taken with 55mm will not be the same as those taken with 100mm

4. Lighting

5. Aperture used will affect the DOF

6. A zoom lens and a prime lens will also produce different result

7. In-camera setting e.g. contrast and sharpness etc

Pardon me for being so negative.

Like i said it doesn't have to be scientific and exact
the effect of the macro tool (close up, extension tube etc) will be visible cause we can put before and after shots

like for example:

taken with nikon D3100 / AFS 18-55mm VR DX f7.1 / 1/60 without filter

screw2.jpg

taken with nikon D3100 / AFS 18-55mm VR DX f7.1 / 1/60 with filter Hoya Closeup +4 Filter

screw2filtered.jpg

there should be no result this is not a thread to see which one is the best macro tool ....what we are after here is a single thread that can show the effect of the various macro tools so that we could judge for ourselves what kind of tool is suited for our needs and budget

Last edited:
my setup

1.4x teleconvertor --> 50mm extension tube --> 200mm zoom --> raynox

my setup

1.4x teleconvertor --> 50mm extension tube --> 200mm zoom --> raynox

can you post a before and after shot of the singapore dollar at maximum magnification using

a. lens with extension tube

b. lens with raynox

c. lens with teleconverter

d. lens with all combination of you macro tools

thanks in advance

again just to reiterate the point here is not to see which one is the best but just to show newbies like us the effects of various tools in one thread... so that we can decide which tool is right for our needs and budget

My 2 cents is one still need to know the basic before he can really understand the photos you suggested posting here. Otherwise, one may even be misled.

Take for eg your post #3 (focal length 55mm). The magnification with and without your +4 diopter at 18mm is different from at 55mm. Go try it out and post here again. So you see, the same diopter can give different magnification on a different lens (ie different focal length).

Similarly, same extension tube also give different magnification when use with different focal length lens.

Before anyone post photos of the Singapore dollar/coin, IIRC, there are some restriction imposed with showing photos of any currency. Need in-house lawyers to advise.

Hi mods

Is there a way to change the thread title to

"Macro Shot of Small common Items using various setup" or do i need to close the thread and start a new one

it was pointed out that there may be legal implications about posting pictures of currency so i guess its best to change the thread title

Wasak, have PM you 3 pictures as follows:

1. Taken with +4 Closeup Lens

2. Taken with Raynox 250

3. Taken with +3 Closeup lens staked on +4 Closeup lens

Note: I have tried to keep all things constant e.g. camera, lens, focal length and lighting.

Wasak, have PM you 3 pictures as follows:

1. Taken with +4 Closeup Lens

2. Taken with Raynox 250

3. Taken with +3 Closeup lens staked on +4 Closeup lens

Note: I have tried to keep all things constant e.g. camera, lens, focal length and lighting.

thanks really helps a lot....

Here is what I have, but I left out the extension tube : doh! :

All are straight from RAW and converted in PICASA, and no PP, so not the best image quality conversion, though that is not the point here anyway since they are for comparison within themselves.

#1 Standard issue 100mm macro lens at f8
5377354492_fffb0d1d84_b.jpg

Min. Focus distance is about 30cm

#2 100mm macro + HOYA+4 Closeup filter

5376754027_97921324e7_b.jpg

A hood had to be added to prevent quite a bit of loss in contrast
Min. Focus distance is around 20cm

#3 100mm macro + 1.7x teleconverter

5377354954_86d29ebb47_b.jpg

Min. Focus distance is around 45cm

#4 135mm + Reversed 50/2

5377354158_2482f58897_b.jpg

Min. Focus distance is ~15cm

Edited : (Added extension tube 25mm)

#5 100mm + 25mm section of extension tube

5377280837_a8ceccfd55_b.jpg

Min. Focus distance is ~25cm

#4 gives the largest magnification, even though its on a longer 135mm focal length lens.
The teleconverter option (#3) is the simplest to use, since the setup functions like a 170mm macro lens, that focuses to infinity.
#5 is simpler to carry around and easier to attach than a close up filter since there is no worry over dirty optics and placement into a 'proper' filter case. Less degradation to optical performance as well imo. Of course, longer tubes will give more magnification.

Last edited:
Added the extension tube photos :)

My shot with NIKON 85mm DX Micro. All uncropped -as is in the frame

Only Pop-up flash + $10 diffuser used

Whole coin

50cents.jpg

Closes magnification with a +2 Close-Up Filter

50centscloseup.jpg

DM101, you have produce excellent results with a $25 filter :thumbsup: