Macro shooting : Sigma 150mm or Tamron 90mm?

L the shooter

Feb 23, 2010
currently have D700 with tamron 19-35,nikon 50/1.8 and SB-900.
I wish something further than 50mm and wish to shoot macro,
deciding between these two lenses,sigma 150mm or tamron 90mm.

which focal length will be better for macro shooting on D700?
or shall I buy a nikon 105mm VR instead?
but the price will definitely burns a hole in my pocket...
thanks in advance for every comments and opinions :)

Nikon 105 VR is close to the Sigma 150mm if u can consider a 2nd hand piece. Tammy 90mm is always cheap and good. but I feel it's a little short for FX camera.

Have only tried shooting shooting insects and find Tamron 90 on D700 a bit short. You may like to consider Tamron 180. Personally perfer this focal length for shooting insects.

90mm for full frame is surely too short even using DX i still find my tamron 90mm too short at time but u can get Teleconvertor(not sure about the quality reduction).

I was just like you 2 weeks back. Was considering to buy either the tammy 90mm or sigma 150mm. Then suddenly a friend of mine told me that photography is an expensive hobby, always go for the best. Also i was asking a forummer who was selling his tammy 90mm, why was he selling his tammy 90mm. He said to upgrade to the 105mm vr nikkor.

Eventually i jumped the gun and got the 105mm nikkor. Not the very best of pictures but i hope this helps. :)

Jumping spidey by Hirzi Hussain, on Flickr

Lotus by Hirzi Hussain, on Flickr

Last edited:
I was oso jus started trying out on macro.. This is one of the shot taken with Tamrom 90mm on D90..
Jus wanna share..

I am very happy with my Sigma 150 (old one without OS or VR in Nikon terms) mounted on my D90

actually u can consider AFD105 2.8 which cost around 500+which have same optic as AFS and may focus even faster. the 3rd will be tamron and tokina.
sigma dont really trust the focusing moreover it a macro lens. but anyway usually macro use MF so doesnt matter.
buildwise nikon105 beat the tamron90mm hands down

I am also looking for a macro lens. It is quite mixed on the feedback I gather on Tokina 100mm / Sigma 105 / Tamron 90. As for the Nikon 105, i cant remember which one - afs or afd is slow in focusing.

akaiwong said:
I am also looking for a macro lens. It is quite mixed on the feedback I gather on Tokina 100mm / Sigma 105 / Tamron 90. As for the Nikon 105, i cant remember which one - afs or afd is slow in focusing.

If u want to shoot macro, auto focusing is the last thing you need to worry.

Thanks cowseye n dc for the advice. Whats your take on the 3rd party macro lens vs nikon afs?

Both serves its function. I personally feel Nikon glass from 105mm VR is just as good as Tamron 90mm. However, the design of the 105mm VR is more appealing to me as I do not want my lens to extend when focusing to 1:1.

actually u can consider AFD105 2.8 which cost around 500+which have same optic as AFS and may focus even faster. the 3rd will be tamron and tokina.
sigma dont really trust the focusing moreover it a macro lens. but anyway usually macro use MF so doesnt matter.
buildwise nikon105 beat the tamron90mm hands down

500+ second hand? thought its around 700, but i maybe wrong though

@TS, 105 for FX maybe short if you shoot insects. try the sigma 150, for better working distance

Last edited: