Macro ring Flash.. Which to get?

doyle

Mar 9, 2011
Hi Guys..
any one use any ring flash?
how the pentax ring flash is it good ? i know ben is using it.
or the metz is better? Limited using it.
or the sigma one? not sure of anyone using?
Or the LED version?

i currently prefer the pentax ring flash as it has the DFA adapter to mount onto my DFA 50/100 lens
the metz/sigma required a 49mm adapter ring to mount onto the front of lens.
As pentax macro is not internal focusing.So does the weight affect the lens mounted in front?
i have read up abit of the function difference between the 3 macro ring flash or LED type.
Just wanted some few cent advise from u pentaxian that have use any of them before i commit to buy one.:angel:

Cheers

i would suggest that you reconsider on getting a ring flash.

its convenient and consistent but the flat light gives u very clinical images.

i would suggest that you reconsider on getting a ring flash.

its convenient and consistent but the flat light gives u very clinical images.

+1 to this.
I've never found ring flash macro shots to be particularly nice.
Very clinical as Donald has said.
The nice ones that I like are usually from 2 diffused strobes left and right controlled in 2:1 ratio or something like it.
Gives better 'dimensioning' imho.

sample of images with dual flashes

spiders by luctomar, on Flickr

IMGP4386-002 by luctomar, on Flickr

negative part is its heavy and cumbersome and took some time to set up. Often, by the time the set up is ready, the subject is gone. But properly executed, the result outweights all the negative aspect of it.. So I am for it, ie dual flashes;)

marcus

wah. dual flash must be heavy. i cant imagine having 2 metz50 hanging there. using any special bracket? kirk or wimblery? thanks you guys for ur response.

wah. dual flash must be heavy. i cant imagine having 2 metz50 hanging there. using any special bracket? kirk or wimblery? thanks you guys for ur response.

both:bsmilie:

i know what u mean. there's always a trade-off between convenience / portability and image quality.

macro setups are ultimately very personal. don't think of how others do it. think of how you normally shoot what you want instead :)

in any case, to get back on topic a bit... if you must buy an "all-in-one" package, i think the metz one is quite interesting. its not a "ring-flash" per-se.... its more of a "ring shaped" flash with 2 flash bulbs :bsmilie: but each one can be tilted to achieve slightly different lighting effects. what i don't like abt it is that u actually trigger it with the pop-up flash, which is a waste of battery. it doesn't do ttl if u use it with the sync cable. but thats not a serious issue really... u don't really need ttl with a ring flash. it might be better to fix output so u get more consistent pix, this is impt if u're intending to do stacking.

You just need two small flashes.

Last edited:
+1 for the Pentax ring flash. Note that the Metz is NOT a true ring flash. It actually has 2 small tubes on the sides. All macro/ring flashes have lighting ratio control. Pentax AF160 ring flash and the DFA50/100 lens is a very nice handling combo. I have no regret buying it.

Last edited:
This is december, bonus month. Have a ring flash and many other different types of flashes in hand. these will give you flexibility.

You would want Bee Hoon sometime, fried Kway teow or HOr Fun at other times and seafood on special occasion.:bsmilie::bsmilie:

When I used a panagor macro 55 mm, I have to use a fg 200 flash, cos of the smaller focal length and smaller power from the flash output with char kway teow diffuser, single flash unit...most convenient, easy and portable and light and this is my most used set up. Carry and go..

eg, single flash with char kway teow plate

IMGP5904-002 by luctomar, on Flickr

for me, I own metz 58 latest version 2, pentax 540 (konked off aldy) and 2 other fg 200, but have never tot of ring flash in my quest for better flash set-up. Its just me and my ideal is MPE 65 dual light system.

just buy the ring flash and add one or two more, so next outing, macro, I could borrow from you;)

marcus

Last edited:
sorry dolye, ignore my post. its off topic I just realised.

marcus

thanks to detrius , pinholecam , otc, sbc and philipkr35 for ur useful advise.

this is what happen to me.. my AF540fgzn retired on me..
so xmas good chance to buy some replacement.
so instead of buying a metz58 which i nearly do.
i came across a thinking
can i buy a ring flash to do macro which might be easy for me.. but true to be told yes twin flash does prove to be a good system to use
but just too heavy for me...and i also need to be more creative in mounting twin small flash.
yes OTC char kway tiao plate.. i need to find 1 and try..
now too many macro lens liao.. vivitar 55,90mm,105 series 1 plus both DFA 50/100..