Macro question..

Voltron1977

Jul 4, 2010
Wanna ask macro kakis here.. Which is a better set up... Tamron 90mm with raynox 250 or tamron 90mm with kenko 25mm extention tube...thanks in advance

Why don't you ask in the Macro section? :dunno:

Wanna ask macro kakis here.. Which is a better set up... Tamron 90mm with raynox 250 or tamron 90mm with kenko 25mm extention tube...thanks in advance

Each has it's own merits. And both will require you to move the whole rig back and forth to focus.

Personally, I'd rather you get the extension tubes and get the whole range of three tubes. :)

Why don't you ask in the Macro section? :dunno:

Tat area is for posting pictures. Not discussion on the macro technicalities. :nono:

Each has it's own merits. And both will require you to move the whole rig back and forth to focus.

Personally, I'd rather you get the extension tubes and get the whole range of three tubes. :)

extension tubes.. the simple types or the motorised type? i saw the price difference is like $20 vs $119 or something like that..

I would think that the extension tubes would be the better setup due to the fact that there is no glass as oppose to the raynox solution.

Ebay sells less than $20. Anyway correct me if i am wrong. Using just normal no-circuit Extension tube might not be the best solution because if you are using AF lens then you cannot manually choose your aperture. Sometimes you need high fstop to get in the details due to more DOF. Personally I use an old manual lens with extension tube so that I have a choice of aperture size.

Of course the kenko one allows AF so I assume it might allow you to adjust ur aperture through the electronic contacts.

This makes the raynox a popular choice since you can adjust as per normal lens and get higher magnification through additional glass but again it might degrade IQ to some extent (visible or not don't know).

Last edited:
Tat area is for posting pictures. Not discussion on the macro technicalities. :nono:
They do so in Night Photography as well. There's even FAQ section. Since it's a special genre it would be drowned here between all the other 'standard' questions.

Depends on what u wan to achieve..

Higher magnification of cos resides in raynox becos of its superior diopter strength.. but with extra glass means IQ might get compromised whereas Extension tube is the exact opposite.. i.e. minimum magnification comparatively with no impact to iq (since its jus an hollow add on element)

I use BOTH (sparingly)

Hi there zac08... Thanks for this reply n also the tips.. Will consider getting the extension tube...

Hi to all here.. I just asking for tips in this newbies corner cos i think its the right place to do so.. Don't want any inconvenience or little arguement here of where i suppose to ask question.. If i post in the wrong section than i am sori..

Hi bro.. Now i using both tamron 90mm n the raynox.. Quite happy with it.. Just wanna know what can i achive if i use my set up with the additional extension tubes.. Can i get a closer n clearer details of the insects..N between useing the tamron with either the raynox or the extension tubes which can give a much sharper in details pictures..

Depends on what u wan to achieve..

Higher magnification of cos resides in raynox becos of its superior diopter strength.. but with extra glass means IQ might get compromised whereas Extension tube is the exact opposite.. i.e. minimum magnification comparatively with no impact to iq (since its jus an hollow add on element)

I use BOTH (sparingly)

They do so in Night Photography as well. There's even FAQ section. Since it's a special genre it would be drowned here between all the other 'standard' questions.

It's a gallery sub-forum. Not a discussion sub-forum. Please read the description first. :cool:

Hi bro.. Now i using both tamron 90mm n the raynox.. Quite happy with it.. Just wanna know what can i achive if i use my set up with the additional extension tubes.. Can i get a closer n clearer details of the insects..N between useing the tamron with either the raynox or the extension tubes which can give a much sharper in details pictures..

It reduces your focusing distance, so if done with skittish insects, it may not be a good idea as you'll be VERY VERY close to it. Also note that, your flash may have to be placed off the camera and you may then need more than one flash to reduce the shadows.

U can achieve higher magnification (reproduction ratio) at the expense of dof. As dof will be relatively thin at that kind of setup, u need to get closer to ur subject we speak, in order to get them in focus, but it might jus get in way with ur lighting.. Directional lighting is best suited to tackle this kinda of tricky situation. thought we already clarified your doubt earlier the diff between the 2?

Ok noted... Thanks for all the info n tips.. Appreciate it alot..thanks again n cheers..