Macro phtography, whats needed?

BokehMaster

Oct 24, 2011
I'd like to start out on macro photography with flowers and insects, what do I need? Macro lens? Extension tubes? Any special flashes?

I'd like to start out on macro photography with flowers and insects, what do I need? Macro lens? Extension tubes? Any special flashes?

Macro lens
or normal lens with extension tubes
or 2 normal lenses+coupling ring - http://prodipx.wordpress.com/double-lens-macro/ or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1pMO7Jy7KI
flashes... I don't think so. but you will need high ISO if it's at night.

and steady hands!

Last edited:

Depends on your budget. If you are only trying out, you can use raynox or extension tubes but if you are into serious macro, then its better to get a macro lens

Thanks guys, currently I'm shooting with a Nikon D7000, and they have a Nikkor Micro 40mm dx f/2.8 macro lens which goes around S$300-S$400, do you guys think its a suitable working focal length? And, what are those ring flashes or Nikon R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System for?

Thanks guys, currently I'm shooting with a Nikon D7000, and they have a Nikkor Micro 40mm dx f/2.8 macro lens which goes around S$300-S$400, do you guys think its a suitable working focal length? And, what are those ring flashes or Nikon R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System for?

Depends on what you are shooting. For flowers and items its fine. For insects, the working distance is a little too short. Flashes like the R1C1 are mainly for macro, however, its optional.

Do note that there are VERY handy guides/stickies in the Macro section.

Beside whatever as needed, most important in Macro is "patience"

Sound knowledge of the subject you're trying to capture.