Macro Photography

Randydbiker

May 8, 2011
Hey guys, i've just starting marco photography and would like some tips from you guys... Everytime when i take close-up pictures of insects, my hand cant keep still and it makes my photos blur. Do you guys use Manual, Shutter speed priority or Aperture priority?

In response to your question, Manual.

To counter handshake there are lots of ways.

1. Invest in a good tripod
2. Get a monopod
3. Improve your breathing technique
4. If there are things to lean on, use it. Example: Trees, park benches etc.

Randydbiker said:
Hey guys, i've just starting marco photography and would like some tips from you guys... Everytime when i take close-up pictures of insects, my hand cant keep still and it makes my photos blur. Do you guys use Manual, Shutter speed priority or Aperture priority?

The trick is not in the mode but rather to stop your camera from shaking. To reduce camera shake, try using a flash or a tripod during your macro shoots

Try this setting:
Shutter speed: equal or more than your focal length. i.e. 90mm focal length means shutter speed ~1/90 or faster
Aperture: F11~F16 for larger DOF
And since both shutter speed and aperture setting are gonna reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor, flash is necessary.

And if you're not using tri or mono, then as what Crystal mentioned, lean on something if you can... basic stance like keeping your arms close to your body is important too

Try this setting:
Shutter speed: equal or more than your focal length. i.e. 90mm focal length means shutter speed ~1/90 or faster
Aperture: F11~F16 for larger DOF
And since both shutter speed and aperture setting are gonna reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor, flash is necessary.

And if you're not using tri or mono, then as what Crystal mentioned, lean on something if you can... basic stance like keeping your arms close to your body is important too

Avon ah don't forget if is crop sensor need to times 1.6 of the focal length. Example your lens is a 90mm. 90mm x 1.6 = 144
And also if you are using a flash, sync speed should normally be 1/200. So you can start from there and either reduce shutter or increase/decrease aperture or increase/decrease iso depending on lighting.

Avon ah don't forget if is crop sensor need to times 1.6 of the focal length. Example your lens is a 90mm. 90mm x 1.6 = 144
And also if you are using a flash, sync speed should normally be 1/200. So you can start from there and either reduce shutter or increase/decrease aperture or increase/decrease iso depending on lighting.

Yes, sifu!

crystal1993 said:

I have learned a lot from your comments, thanks for helping out a newbie like me:)

Thanks for the advice guys!

crystal1993 said:
I am not shifu...=<
You newbie meh? All your shots one shot one kill de leh....Straight away compound eye leh. =< I newbie need spend a lot of time on one subject one.....

Haha you also say I cheat one mah. Masters like you then have the patience to shoot so long for one subject, newbies like me don't have that kind of patience, need to train :bsmilie:

I am not shifu...=<
You newbie meh? All your shots one shot one kill de leh....Straight away compound eye leh. =< I newbie need spend a lot of time on one subject one.....

Spree's definitely not newbie like me. He got 2114 post counts liao. Hahahaha

My acceptance rate is only 10% per outing... meaning I need to take around in average 10 shots per subject to get an acceptable one. So yes, I'm definitely a newbie ;p

iguanavon said:
Spree's definitely not newbie like me. He got 2114 post counts liao. Hahahaha

My acceptance rate is only 10% per outing... meaning I need to take around in average 10 shots per subject to get an acceptable one. So yes, I'm definitely a newbie ;p

Post count not counted lah, you never hear empty vessels make the most noise meh? Haha I'm a newbie that likes to talk a lot only. You so dedicated, master level leh.

Wah... All the macro kakis here...