Macro Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Pike

Dec 22, 2008
Hi

Can some one please give me some advice. I am a railway modeller and would like to take some images of my models.

I need to know how to get a depth of field all in focus, previousley when I have tried I tend to only get a small area of the model in focus, the rest of the model and background being blurred.

I realize I probabley require a macro lense, what does anyone recommend ?

My camera is a Nikon D70.

Thanks

If you want the whole picture to be sharp, then you'd need a wider lens and stop it down. The DOF is strongest then.

A macro lens would have a much thinner DOF.

Alternatively, you can shoot multiple pictures at different steps of focus and then stack them together.

previousley when I have tried I tend to only get a small area of the model in focus, the rest of the model and background being blurred.

I realize I probabley require a macro lense, what does anyone recommend ?

You will get the same problem with a macro lens. You need to step down the aperture for sufficient depth of field, although usually a macro lens can let you stop down to even tinier apertures with diffraction plaguing the image quality.

Alternative is to use ur current lens setup, step down aperture sufficiently, and you can do focus stacking to merge them into a picture with appropriate sharpness as u deem fit.

Ryan

Just use your kit lens if you don't want a shallow DOF.

Alternatively, you can shoot multiple pictures at different steps of focus and then stack them together.

How do you 'stack' the photos? Using functions in Photoshop?

How do you 'stack' the photos? Using functions in Photoshop?

There are free programs to do so. Read it up. ;)

Photoshop is possible too. Have to layer and smooth out the edges carefully though.

Status
Not open for further replies.