Macro photographing

There is a Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM or if you have the budget (L). I have been using the non "L" for some years and in fact, it's a hidden "L".

http://www.canon.com.sg/sc/EN/321-EF-Lenses/822-Macro/

For Non L Lens, I brought at S$1.1K only.

Happy Marcro, but I suggest you think twice b4 buying cos there are not so much insects in Singapore to shoot, if you look at those posted Macro photos, seems like almost everyone shot that few types of insect only unless for work.

Last edited:
There is a Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM or if you have the budget (L). I have been using the non "L" for some years and in fact, it's a hidden "L".

http://www.canon.com.sg/sc/EN/321-EF-Lenses/822-Macro/

For Non L Lens, I brought at S$1.1K only.

Happy Marcro, but I suggest you think twice b4 buying cos there are not so much insects in Singapore to shoot, if you look at those posted Macro photos, seems like almost everyone shot that few types of insect only unless for work.

No offence here but I beg to differ from the above 2 points.

1) Non-L 100mm f/2.8 does not cost you $1.1k, that's a very expensive price tag. Non-L should cost about $780 ~ $880, The "L" version will cost you about $1200 ~ $1350, probably can get sub $1200 now. Where did you get your 100mm/2.8 macro non-L from? http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518391

2) Though Singapore is small but there's still many critters to be discovered. At the same time, it's not only about finding critters but trying to get nice lighting & composition, just like all photography genres. Other the other hand, macro lens does not only restricts to flowers and critters, it can also be used to take close-up on objects for abstract shots etc ;).

To TS, if you seriously like macro photography, you'll need to start reading up and learn (type of gears, how to achieve certain shots etc) as it will not be easy nor will it be too difficult. It just takes time and patience to stay under the sun, enduring bites from mozzies and ants, as well as getting yourself dirty. Some start and gave up within months, some take for leisure but produces very nice shots and some love macro photography from the bottom of their hearts. :)

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Using you existing DSLR, just need the following.

Canon 180L Macro - S$2500
2x 580EXII - S$1400
Wire remote - $80
Off shoe cord - $100
2x Wimberley macro bracket - S$700
Wimberley P40 plate - S$120
Markin M20 Ballhead - S$550
Gitzo 1541EX trpipod - S$850

Total S$6300, and you have a decent setup. :)
This is overkill bro

Im beginner to macro but I believe after doing some homework and trying out 100mm macro lens, I prefer shorter working distance hence I hoot the 180mm from Tammy. Why not consider sigma 150mm so that u wouldn't scare those insect off ? Are u a brand fanatic who are particular about brand equipment u use? Are you a die hard first hand equipment ? For me lens preowned is fine but not body, different strokes for diff folks man

For lens review can go to dpreview.com to ssrr... Happy hunting

Last edited:
Im beginner to macro but I believe after doing some homework and trying out 100mm macro lens, I prefer shorter working distance hence I hoot the 180mm from Tammy.

I believe you are referring to further working distance instead of shorter working distance. :)

Tamron SP 180mm f/3.5 Di LD Macro Minimum Focus Distance 0.47m (18.5").
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Minimum Focus Distance 0.30m (12").

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Hello people in CS !!
I'm using a canon 500 D and i wanted to take up macro photographing .
Do you guys have any suggestion what should i get to enable me to meet up the requirement of macro photographing?

Cheers :D

Consider a Raynox first if you are unsure how much you enjoy macro photography.
Macro lenses are not like your everyday zoom lenses. They are primes.

A Raynox is cheaper. The downside is it is hard to use a Raynox and takes a while to learn.
Eventually you can upgrade yourself to a macro lens.

Visit Mcgill's website. He sells Raynox in Singapore.

http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/produ...d=102&osCsid=0855b74b54909879a241b8f276d7dcb6

If you are unsure, do a search about Raynox. It'll turn up pros and cons of it.

Thanks all of your advise !!
i tried my best to do my homework before getting a marcro lense as i'm still a secondary student xD no $$ for those ex stuff

@Nm i love your photo (Y)

dont rush into things
take it one step at a time

since you are a student without much funds
i would suggest spending less on other things and save up for a dedicated macro lens first
buy it 2nd hand and spend some time shooting, after you have done that
then we can plan the next step

Here's my take if intending to go into macro protogarphy.

Equipment needed (besides a DSLR)

1. Macro Lens (Choose one):
- Canon 100mm f2.8
- Tamron 90mm f2.8
- Tamron 180mm f2.8 (or is it f3.5)
- Sigma 150mm f2.8

2. External Flash with diffuser

3. Insects, bugs or any other subjects that you want to photograph.

Thats ALL!!

Last edited:
About choosing the lens you want depends on very much on the subject. If you're intending to shoot skittish insects, go for the longer focal lenses. If subjects like spiders caterpillars, beetles, 100mm or 90mm will work just fine. Choosing the lens would depend on your budget. Cheaper alternatives are close up filters like Raynox can be used but many had complained it was very difficult to use. However, I've seen great shots taken with the filter. So I wouldn't dismiss this option completely.

My opinion is that you shoudn't worry about USM or not cos in the end, focssing is all done manually and the aperture used for macro is usually more than f13. More importantly, just make sure the lens is 1:1 magnification.

I've stopped carrying my tripod for macro shooting. Bythe time you setup the tipod, the subject would have already flown/run away. My opinion, dun bother to carry the extra weight.

Hope this helps.

Tried reverse mounting and it's something not simple either especially for the faint hearted. There is an adapter that you need to mount on the body so that you can mount the lens in reverse orientation. Then you have to open the aperture, then you can start shooting. While this is going on, the rear element is exposed the enviroment as there's no protection possible like a UV filter. This method is ok for still life but not easy (or impossible) for insects.

The other method worth mentioning is the extension tubes. It's cheap but again good for still life but almost impossible for insects.

Click here for information on extension tubes http://www.neilcreek.com/blog/2007/11/10/about-macro-extension-tubes-p365-nov03/

Hello people in CS !!
I'm using a canon 500 D and i wanted to take up macro photographing .
Do you guys have any suggestion what should i get to enable me to meet up the requirement of macro photographing?

Cheers :D

When I started in July'09, I have the Canon 500D, kit lens 18~55mm, Raynox DCR-250, pop up flash and a DIY diffuser.

This will be enough to start your adventure in daytime macro photography :)

The cost of a new Raynox DCR-250 is $125. 2nd hand may be cheaper from buy/sell.

The DIY diffuser is position on top the Raynox to diffuse pop up flash lighting to avoid harsh lighting on subjects. You will need to use one. Get a white milk bottle and cut into rectangular shape.

Now, I have upgraded to a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. Bought it 2nd hand around $690. I am still able to use my Raynox on top of this macro lens.

Hope this helps.

If you want to "test" the Raynox, come to one of the outing which I am there, you can "borrow" and do your own test shoots.

Last edited:
When I started in July'09, I have the Canon 500D, kit lens 18~55mm, Raynox DCR-250, pop up flash and a DIY diffuser.

This will be enough to start your adventure in daytime macro photography :)

The cost of a new Raynox DCR-250 is $125. 2nd hand may be cheaper from buy/sell.

The DIY diffuser is position on top the Raynox to diffuse pop up flash lighting to avoid harsh lighting on subjects. You will need to use one. Get a white milk bottle and cut into rectangular shape.

Now, I have upgraded to a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. Bought it 2nd hand around $690. I am still able to use my Raynox on top of this macro lens.

Hope this helps.

If you want to "test" the Raynox, come to one of the outing which I am there, you can "borrow" and do your own test shoots.

Thanks for your advise ( : looking forward to see you in outing .:D

hi hi... m oso newbie noob in CS
haha.. tryin to get into macro photography oso, learn it, enjoy it... hopefully master it in due time ;)

Raynox DCR250 might not be easy to use for newbie to Macro. If you plan to shoot super close-up of insect eyes, or very tiny insects, this len helps. Also, this len had very shallow DOF, thus angle and composition of shot is very critical. As per advice from fellow CS members earlier, it's better to borrow from someone to try first, or if you need to purchase, you can easily find relatively new 2nd hand unit from CS at quite a reasonably good price when compare to brand new.